Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ring Loop MOST issue

Views : 4947

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2017, 17:46   #31
EdmundIJones

Success! All working about 95% as it should, the radio is a little crackly because of the bodge fix job.

What I need is this to so it properly: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SC-to-SC-S...3D122132648794 or something similar.

What I did was get the flex off an old pair of headphones, cut the sheath off so it was about 1cm in length and removed the outer orange sheath off the MOST cable, both ends of the break. Inside the most cable there is a black sheath and then the plastic fiber. Leave the black plastic bit as it stops the light scatter. I worked out the exact length needed for the headphone sheath and push both ends of the fiber in so they met snugly in the middle but had a thick outer cover to hold them together.

Before doing this I got a BIC biro pen, removed the innards to leave a solid tube. I pulled the fiber connection I made apart and slid both ends of the fiber in the pen case and pushed them together in the sheath. the idea being it keeps the fiber completely flat and if you knock it it won't go out of alignment. I taped the ends up to hold it all in place and hay presto.

Everything works and the only issue is slight crackle on the radio, it sounds a little like poor reception. Sat Nav works, other stuff works so I'm happy.

Thank you everyone for your help in tracking this down.
EdmundIJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 18:04   #32
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Excellent, good temporary fix, clever thinking to provide strain relief

Consider fitting proper optical connectors
Volvo may even have a repair kit available

If you can pull the cable through, consider reterminating the cable to the original connector. All depends on how much slack you have to play with.

Again, well done.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Jan 10th, 2017 at 20:00.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 18:39   #33
EdmundIJones

I've found come connectors so that's the best solution, just need to perform a clean cut. Thanks again chaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdmundIJones For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 22:23   #34
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Good Job !

I can see this being handy in the future for a lot pf people.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 21:48   #35
knightofthelight

Default Fiber Optics to AM/FM module in the back

I have an 2006 xc90 with the typical radio problem.......turns on but then black screen and the radio does not work.
I have look at the AM/FM module in the ceiling. I have disconnected the fiber optics cable to the unit....and see no red lights coming through!!
What is the route of those cables????
Help!!!
Mark
knightofthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 21:51   #36
EdmundIJones

Look under the front passenger seat, that's where my cable had got snagged and snapped. It also runs in the rear roof area and I think (from memory) the amp is under the drivers seat.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:23   #37
reliabilityman

Some additional/alternative information on this problem as it has another cause: As was explained above the 'MOST' Ring daisy chains around the various modules (and a break in this ring will render the system inoperative).... but if the power to a module fails it can show up as a 'MOST' issue via DiCE.

In my similar case the power wiring to the under-seat SatNav DVD player had been damaged by catching on the seat mechanism and breaking....
(There are two wires - brown and purple- to the green plug on the back of the player, and, like the MOST fibre ring they really need tie-wrapping down... )

For some reason (probably its position in the chain) the DiCE indicated that the PHone Module (PHM) has problems

Symptoms were again that the Radio/Phone/CD/RTI did not work.
reliabilityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 19:47   #38
pelagicskipper

Hi all,
I am currently trying to work my way through the same issue on my 2008 S80, when I try and turn on radio the ICM shows the loading screen then nothing except the climate control info.
when I take the fiber connections out of the IAM and power it up, there is a solid red light being emitted from one connection and at the same time one of the unplugged cable is flashing a red light.
If I plug the cable in and then unplug it again to check, the light has gone out on the IAM but the cable is still flashing. (is this normal?)
When I check at the AUD one of the fiber cables is flashing in the same way as at the back of the IAM.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
pelagicskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 20:41   #39
seajay

Default v50 multi media module

Hi I am new to this forum so may be in the wrong place but basically we have a V50 and the sat Nav just shut down and now the radio switches itself off and on every minute or so, we took it to the main dealer who has said its the multi media module (£1000) and I cant find anybody across the country who will repair it, has anybody got any thoughts how I can deal with this please, how many fibre optic cables go to these mmm's our looks like 3 but how can that make a loop, I have read about bridging links would that work to at least get the radio working again for now and where would I get one. Any advise welcome
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:06   #40
Elsimo

Hi Sea jay, I am wondering if you ever managed to sort your problem out?
I have a 2012 XC 90 exc with exactly the same symptoms as you describe. I have been able to get the radio/cd player working correctly by unplugging the MOST fibre optic cable from rear of the satnav unit under the passenger seat and plugging it into a MOST loop, thus removing the Satnav from the system.
On checking the Satnav it appears to be receiving power ok as I can see lights in the front of the unit and when I turn the ignition on there is a red light emitting from the Most socket on the rear of the unit under the seat. I have also had the display unit out of the dash and all power connections show voltage and if I wind the motor manually to raise the screen as soon as I reconnect the power it powers the screen back down as if the Satnav had been shut down. I know people say there are other units which are far better than the Volvo built in ones, but it annoys me that it is sat there not working when it might be a simple thing to get it going. I have also checked all the relevant fuses but no luck yet.

Last edited by Elsimo; Apr 5th, 2020 at 18:23.
Elsimo is offline   Reply With Quote