Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen washer not working on 850 2.5i CD

Views : 796

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 17:15   #1
Jonnybump

Default Windscreen washer not working on 850 2.5i CD

Hi all - newbie here!
My Grandad has just bought a '96 850 2.5i CD Auto, and on the trip back he noticed that the windscreen washer jets aren't spraying water. The washer bottle was empty, so he filled that up - now the light washers are working, but the windscreen ones still aren't!
He has brought the car around, and I looked in the engine bay, but all I could notice was that there were two open ended pipes close to the washer fluid bottle (they are clamped to the side of the engine bay).

I can't find a service manual for the car, so what would you suggest I do to fix it? Does the same pump that operates the headlight washers control the windscreen washers? If so I can cancel out the pump being the cause and start to look in other places under the bonnet :)

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 18:27   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: Windscreen washer not working on 850 2.5i CD

Hi Jon,

Welcolm to the forum!
A common fault is with the 'T' piece connecter installed in the bonnet behind the sound deadening material and I think between the 2 washer jets. It has a red top to it.
Its more than just a T piece as it contains a pressure regulating unit which consists of a small spring and piston.
They often get gunged up. Either buy a new one or flip the red top off with a knife (watch out the spring will fly out) and clean it out.
You may want to check water gets as far as this valve by operating the washers with the 'T' piece disconnected.

Regards

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 13:21   #3
PAGEANT

Hi, I had the same problem mate. Under the bonnet lining the pipes feed the bonnet jets. Track the pipes frof the jets and you will come to a none return valve. These do block up and can't be repaired. They are pretty cheep and standard on most cars so don't be rushing off to volvo. Pull off the non return valve and operate the washers and watch all the crap come out then you know you need a new valve. Hope this helps you out.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 17:45   #4
Jonnybump

Thanks both,
Will tell my Grandad today!

Cheers,
Jon
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 17:47   #5
warthog
VOC Member

The valves (there are two - one on the headlamp washers and one on the windscreen washers - different valves) are only a matter of a quid or so from Nordic.