Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VW DSG Golf not a nice drive!

Views : 1016

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2020, 08:19   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
Father has a MK2 Octavia VRS with the DSG, although not jerky, it's rarely in the right gear and you can count on a clock how long it takes to drop a gear when you put your foot down. Awful box in my opinion.
I had a 2009 Skoda Superb (2.0 diesel, 180bhp) with DSG for around 3 months and it handled superbly. Almost like a Golf might.

Hard acceleration was good and the changes came in well timed and smoothly.

Gentle acceleration meant that it changed up to too high a gear too soon and I'd find myself going down a residential street and trying to weave between parked cars in 6th gear at barely more than 1000 rpm, which meant that I was in too high a gear for the conditions.

Deceleration was the worst, however, and I often found myself in too high a gear when wanting to move onto a roundabout or leave a junction without having stopped first.

Road tests wouldn't bring such issues out, however, since testers tend only to know about forward gears and a heavy right foot.

By contrast, the only issue with the 8-speed auto in my V70 D4 is that it can be a little slow to register when I put my foot down. Perhaps this would be addressed by a Polestar upgrade. If that's true, however, then it's somewhere between immoral and dangerous.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 12:43   #12
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've done 59k in my Superb 2.0d DSG, 3yrs. Lovely drive, no issues at all with the gearbox.

It sounds like the OP had a dodgy car.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 13:19   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Father has a MK2 Octavia VRS with the DSG, although not jerky, it's rarely in the right gear and you can count on a clock how long it takes to drop a gear when you put your foot down. Awful box in my opinion.
That was exactly my experience of my Honda I-Shift gearbox. Pulling away at roundabouts became a near-death experience. I owned the car for all of 10 weeks, six of which it spent with Honda for innumerable software upgrades. In the end they got fed up with it and offered me my money back in full.

To be fair to the Honda dealer, they never blamed "user error" and were always happy to take the Civic in, loan me a service car, and spend time checking it out. Objectively the quality of customer service from the dealer (Marshall Honda York) was exemplary, it was most definitely a fault with the car.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 20:37   #14
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
That was exactly my experience of my Honda I-Shift gearbox. Pulling away at roundabouts became a near-death experience. I owned the car for all of 10 weeks, six of which it spent with Honda for innumerable software upgrades. In the end they got fed up with it and offered me my money back in full.

To be fair to the Honda dealer, they never blamed "user error" and were always happy to take the Civic in, loan me a service car, and spend time checking it out. Objectively the quality of customer service from the dealer (Marshall Honda York) was exemplary, it was most definitely a fault with the car.

Jack
There's a reason why I only had the Superb for 3 months......
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 00:57   #15
Auto Addict

I've owned my 2018 VW Golf R MK7.5 DSG from New (now on 19K miles) and its 7-speed DSG is superb, both in full AUTO or Manual but especially in Manual "Race" mode DSG Service intervals @ every 40K miles is an absolute MUST ... or problems will inevitably develop.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 01:04   #16
Auto Addict

Quote:
Sounds to me like your Father's Octavia has a faulty DSG . How old is the car ? how many miles on it & DSG box ? and when was it serviced first time and the last ?
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote