Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 Towbar Electrics

Views : 1267

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:23   #1
candor

Default Volvo V70 Towbar Electrics

Hi all,

I'm back to the forum with the purchase of a Volvo V70 2002.

I've got a towbar to fit, which I purchased secondhand. It came with the 7 pin electrical socket but this was spliced into the loom of the car it came out of. The wiring loom from volvo is no longer available. I'd rather not splice into the loom given that there is a multi plug available. Does anyone know what multi plug this is? An internet search is not throwing up much.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo_multi_plug.jpg (203.1 KB, 15 views)
candor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 23:20   #2
candor

I wired the towbar electrics up this evening using blade and spade connectors, which have a good fit.

However, I'm missing power going to the fog light on the trailer plug. I've probed the multi plug with a multimeter when the rear fog light on the car is on but not getting any power.

Is there additional work to do to turn on the fog light for trailers? The handbook mentions towing bracket fuses, anyone know what they are for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towbar_wiring.jpg (104.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg cargo_fuses.jpg (144.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg cargo_fusebox.jpg (212.8 KB, 15 views)
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 21:12   #3
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Have you fitted the extra relay required in position RMI7 for the tow bar fog light circuit ?

XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 12:29   #4
candor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC70Bob View Post
Have you fitted the extra relay required in position RMI7 for the tow bar fog light circuit ?

Thank you very much for that information. I haven't, is it the same relay as used for the rear fog light on the car?
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 14:28   #5
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Based on the pin out on the diagram I have, I would say yes same as brake light relay, but a Volvo dealer should be able to supply the correct part.

there are also 2 fuses related to the tow-bar but I don't think you need them for just a 12N socket.

Last edited by XC70Bob; Aug 14th, 2020 at 14:34.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 16:09   #6
candor

I'll be passing a breaker tomorrow and I'll see if I can grab a few relays when I'm there. Thanks again!
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 23:16   #7
candor

Picked up a relay today, plugged it in and now have voltage at the fog light pin in the trailer socket. Thanks again for you help!
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 21:02   #8
Spurry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
Hi all,

I'm back to the forum with the purchase of a Volvo V70 2002.

I've got a towbar to fit, which I purchased secondhand. It came with the 7 pin electrical socket but this was spliced into the loom of the car it came out of. The wiring loom from volvo is no longer available. I'd rather not splice into the loom given that there is a multi plug available. Does anyone know what multi plug this is? An internet search is not throwing up much.

Thanks!

If you are happy with the 7 pin electrics, I have an original Volvo wiring loom from my car, as I have fitted the 13 pin plug version.
I would have taken a picture, but it's piddling down with rain at the moment. :-)
Pete
Spurry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurry For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2020, 22:01   #9
candor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurry View Post
If you are happy with the 7 pin electrics, I have an original Volvo wiring loom from my car, as I have fitted the 13 pin plug version.
I would have taken a picture, but it's piddling down with rain at the moment. :-)
Pete
Nice, it's also piddling rain down here too! I think for the moment, 7 pin will be all I need.