Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vdash anyone

Views : 8173

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2020, 01:06   #1
currymunster

Default Vdash anyone

Hi all, been looking at the vdash website and I'm a little confused at the pricing. It says it's free for end user
But it also says the price will be in the cart when downloading.
Does any one have or use that can explain it please.
I'm not trade or anything.
Have a 1999 V70 and a 2004 XC90.
Just looking for something that will read codes and more.
Thanks
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 03:13   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymunster View Post
Have a 1999 V70 and a 2004 XC90.
Just looking for something that will read codes and more.
I'd begin with a Dice/VCX and Vida for main dealer level code reading, workshop manual, parts catalogue and technical data.
From what I can gather, VDash seems to be more suited to programming new equipment and adding features.
I haven't used VDash though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 08:08   #3
BlueDevil

If I got it right, Vdash is a piece of software on your laptop that communicates with the car, and it's free. But if you're - for example - looking to update language of your onboard computer from french to english, you'd need the "language pack" to put on the car computer, and that language pack is going to cost some $$. Also, if you install a new component - say you go from semi-analogue instrument cluster to the full-digital one - you'd also need to update the car's software. Vdash is still free as interface, but the software package that enables the new instrument cluster is going to cost some $$.
BlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 08:18   #4
reggit
Premier Member

As said above, vdash is good for quickly reading codes as an alternate to Vida, but doesn’t give anywhere near as much info and you still need a dice.
It’s main purpose is to add software to add new features to your car without going to Volvo, but it costs money.
You do need to decode the CEM pin code to add software. Vdash can do this in a P3 car, but in both yours it means removing the CEM and sending it away or reading the ECU in there to dump the BIN file for it to be decoded.

Let’s say I didn’t bother with it until I bought a P3 car. You’re far better off with Vida to be honest.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 10:22   #5
RS3100

VDash (the software application) is free for personal use. You can use it as a diagnostic reader free of charge. If you have a P3 car and want to add or change configuration features, you first need to crack the CEM pin code, which is also free. Configuration changes, adding new features, cloning ECUs, service resets etc. are all chargeable. If you want to carry out one of those options, you add it to the cart, and the cost of the item is displayed. You need to credit your account, e.g. by Paypal to enable the download or option.

Once you have paid for, or unlocked a feature, you can use it on the same vehicle for life. For instance, I installed a TFT DIM on my car, which cost 140 euros plus a donor DIM. If I wanted, or needed to, I could change back to the analogue DIM, re-install a new TFT DIM, change the TFT skins etc. all within the original cost.

This article from VIDA UK Laptops faceache page explains it quite well:

"Vida Vs Vdash – Which is best? Short Answer… Both Depending on Model / Year and Location on the planet. Yay a simple straight forward answer LMAO.
People often ask what’s the difference between Vida and Vdash, what can Vida do that Vdash can't? For the purposes of this I’m going to stick to talking about Vida2014D.

Diagnostics Model support (With a Dice/ VxDiag) :-

Vida2014d has Diagnostics support for models 1999-2015.5 . If you’re in America you can get a Subscription to Vida 2015 which has 1999-Now model support.

Vdash has model support for 1999-Now.

Vida 2014d isn’t Just a code reader, It has full parts catalogue, Fault trace, live data, can perform calibrations, activate service modes, it has specifications (both mechanical and electrical) , removal and replacement procedures and is often bundled with the Electronic Wiring Diagrams and even more elements.

If you have a supported model, for diagnostics and reference there is no equivalent. Vdash doesn’t come close.

Vdash can read and clear codes, and do some Calibrations and service modes.

However, Vdash can do much that not even a full Vida 2015 subscription can do, for instance Vdash can clone modules i.e. if you need to replace a dying or wobbly module, vdash can clone yours to a used one from Ebay. No version of Vida will do that. Vdash can allow you to reconfigure the car in ways Vida can only dream of. From upgrading the dashboard to TFT screen or automatic to manual conversions, language changes, activating towing modules, retro fitting “upgrades”, Fixed “SRS” crash module, Diesel Injector coding, adding Keys etc etc etc

Vdash can do some data logging, ECU Remaps, EGR Delete, DPF delete the list is endless. However, it varies so much by model year and ECU / CEM type that it’s a real mine field to give a straight answer, and VDASH is continually changing.

If you have a p1/p2 model Vdash configuration changes are really limited without the CEM pin code. P3 and later models Vdash can “crack” the CEM pin code.

P1 / P2 models there are ways to get your CEM pin , but its not easy or cheap.

Vdash is Free for personal use but is limited to 3 vehicles (though you can delete them and add new ones once per month). However, car configuration changes / cloning operations have a cost. Typically, around 60euros.

So, For most people with a 2015 or older Volvo Vida is the best choice for “fixing” your car. Newer models without Vida2014d Support Vdash is really the only choice as a fault code reader ..of course there are a hundreds of generic code readers. Generic code readers often lead to wild goose chases and misunderstanding."
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 14:02   #6
currymunster

Wow, thanks, that's a lot of information.
So obviously I need to get hold of a dice.. eBay I assume.
But what about Vida. When can I get a copy of that. Is it cheap?
Thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 14:13   #7
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymunster View Post
Wow, thanks, that's a lot of information.
So obviously I need to get hold of a dice.. eBay I assume.
But what about Vida. When can I get a copy of that. Is it cheap?
Thanks
You can find the software FOC, e.g. from the Swedespeed forums.

But it can be complicated to install and get running.

DiCE can be bought on eBay, but it can be a lottery whether you get a good one.

For a running kit with everything you need and support, @cheshired5 who posted earlier in this thread can sort you out.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 09:55   #8
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
As said above, vdash is good for quickly reading codes as an alternate to Vida, but doesn’t give anywhere near as much info and you still need a dice.
It’s main purpose is to add software to add new features to your car without going to Volvo, but it costs money.
You do need to decode the CEM pin code to add software. Vdash can do this in a P3 car, but in both yours it means removing the CEM and sending it away or reading the ECU in there to dump the BIN file for it to be decoded.

Let’s say I didn’t bother with it until I bought a P3 car. You’re far better off with Vida to be honest.
I've found out this XC90 is a P2.
Don't want to send the CEM away even though I could.
Looking at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233506997028
Would this read and back up the bin file?
I'm in no rush due to money at the moment and we have working cars so it's not being used.

The car only had one key so I'm looking to add a key in the future and possibly a DPF and EGR delete.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 21:29   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

delete dpf = illegal modification. end of story there

Adding a key - goto a main dealer, it WILL be cheaper than fussing about getting the CEM out ,sending off and getting the code from it, Then paying for a Blank key Then payinf Vdash to do it
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: