Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Impressions of B5 Anyone?

Views : 4541

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2019, 12:01   #11
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
B5 is £1k more than T5 and four year residuals are £1k less so £2k negative before you start by still buying diesel. Plus Volvo have no interest in the diesel engine from 2022 onwards and several cities already do or will charge more to park a diesel car. Is it worth it even before you introduce social stigma?
Which cities are/are looking to target Euro 6 diesels which have emissions roughly comparable to a Euro 6 petrol?
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 12:15   #12
Discoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Which cities are/are looking to target Euro 6 diesels which have emissions roughly comparable to a Euro 6 petrol?
It’s more sentiment as EU6 diesel engines are much cleaner than EU5. The main driver for me is that during my ownership Edinburgh will introduce a diesel premium or ban for residents permits as they consulted on it last year. Realistically EU5 should be the cut off (hence selling my EU5 Discovery) but there is little logic in sentiment driven actions. I’m just doing more to future proof my purchase.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 17:23   #13
Dilinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow88 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering whether any of you have taken delivery of a new XC90 with the B5 mild hybrid, and if so what are your first impressions? I’m guessing that you should not feel or notice anything different, as the KERS system will be just doing its thing in the background. Presumably, it just gives you a little push on initial start off and acceleration? I’ve also heard a rumour that it might be noisier at idle, though I cannot quite see why that might be. Am just about to take the plunge and order one, after 9 very happy and trouble free years with a XC70. I tow a caravan @ 1800kgs, so for me the diesel remains the only true option. Any first impressions out there to reassure or guide me?
Thanks
Did you get your B5 yet?
Dilinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 17:27   #14
D3GGY

Can't comment on the B5 but I have had my B4 for 2 weeks this coming Monday and all I can say compared to driving my Discovery Sport, this car is like driving silk.

I don't know if the batteries are doing their thing or not but acceleration from standing or at speed is flawless, no hint of hesitation, so I assume they are.
D3GGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 18:08   #15
Dilinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3GGY View Post
Can't comment on the B5 but I have had my B4 for 2 weeks this coming Monday and all I can say compared to driving my Discovery Sport, this car is like driving silk.

I don't know if the batteries are doing their thing or not but acceleration from standing or at speed is flawless, no hint of hesitation, so I assume they are.
Did you follow a run-in procedure for the engine?
I am trying to keep it low revved, but have stepped up to 3.5k rpm, by accidentally shifting to manual mode...
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 18:45   #16
Scotia64

I’ve had my B5 for just over 2 weeks & it will turn 1000 miles tomorrow. I’ve never had a volvo before so nothing to compare it with. You don’t notice the KERS one little bit . There isn’t any turbo lag when pulling away like I used to get on my Freelander 2. In fact the car never ceases to amaze me with its pulling power , a quick press of the accelerator & it flys .
I had to put 600 miles on it before I could tow my caravan . We took it a run from Hamilton to Keswick & got 44mpg , pretty much the same on the return journey. To say I’m impressed is an understatement.
The auto engine cut out at lights etc works seamlessly, this function doesn’t work when I’m towing just like pilot assistant. A bit disappointed that PA doesn’t work when towing as it would take away some of the strain.
One thing to point out about the 2020 cars is that you don’t have the underfloor boot area . When you lift the floor to get to the spare that’s what you see the spare. I’m glad I didn’t go for air suspension as I wouldn’t get anywhere to stow my bits & bobs, as it is I have squirrelled them around the spare wheel.
All in all I love the car , no rattles or squeaks, just silence.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 19:09   #17
Dilinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia64 View Post
I’ve had my B5 for just over 2 weeks & it will turn 1000 miles tomorrow.
I ve had it for just over 2 weeks and will turn 1000 miles tomorrow too!

Quote:
. In fact the car never ceases to amaze me with its pulling power , a quick press of the accelerator & it flys .
Are you following any run-in procedure for the engine?

Quote:
I had to put 600 miles on it before I could tow my caravan .
Is this limit on the owner's manual?

Quote:
We took it a run from Hamilton to Keswick & got 44mpg , pretty much the same on the return journey. To say I’m impressed is an understatement.
I also got 44.8 mpg (UK imperial) in a 38km trip (50 minutes), half of it low-traffic and half of it, high-traffic in the town centre!)
Quote:
The auto engine cut out at lights etc works seamlessly
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
One thing to point out about the 2020 cars is that you don’t have the underfloor boot area . When you lift the floor to get to the spare that’s what you see the spare. I’m glad I didn’t go for air suspension as I wouldn’t get anywhere to stow my bits & bobs, as it is I have squirrelled them around the spare wheel.
I know this, mine has the air suspension so no space around the spare wheel tyre, but managed to throw in some of my tools around it..
Wondering what are the empty slots around the spare wheel for though.....
There seem to be intended for some kind of tools that are not there, maybe for specific markets...

Can you share any photos of your underfloor boot where the spare wheel is ?

Two interesting observations.
A- The spare wheel in my market was standard equipment until 45th production week..after that it was optional accessory, so i guess cars after 45th production week would have the additional boot space underfloor as standard.
B- The spare wheel tire is a totally junk Chinese brand that i cannot even spell LOL..

Wonder where the 48v battery is located though.

And i only have 2 regrets.

1. I wish the implemented mild hybrid system was able to roll the car 1-3 miles, like for example some RR mild hybrid's, that would allow a wonderful and pleasant rolling in traffic.
I do have to note, though that the start/stop system is amazing and works seamlessly (except yesterday which refused to work), and i like the fact that it switches off the engine, sometimes when the car is rolling before standing still...

2. I don't like the way the gear selector switches to manual mode (upshift/downshift), by shifting the electronic gear selector one step further below D. I wish it was like the mechanical gear selector, requiring the selector to be pushed to the left. (or right for right-handed vehicles).

Last edited by Dilinger; Oct 11th, 2019 at 19:13.
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 21:23   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
B5 is £1k more than T5 and four year residuals are £1k less so £2k negative before you start by still buying diesel. Plus Volvo have no interest in the diesel engine from 2022 onwards and several cities already do or will charge more to park a diesel car. Is it worth it even before you introduce social stigma?
That said for people like me, diesels are much much more efficient and economic and frankly like most I don’t drive into the big cities.

Outside of the T8 I see no point in the petrol versions.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 21:26   #19
xsaab
Master Member

My B5 arrived today so I am still reading the manual biggest challenge so far is mastering the Electronic Park switch, a new routine to master.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 23:08   #20
Shadow88

My car was built last week, so apparently I just need to sit back and wait patiently. How hard can that be...?!
Shadow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow88 For This Useful Post: