Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop start stopped working

Views : 19530

Replies : 100

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 22:56   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
That seems to imply that the negative terminal of the battery isn't directly connected to the chassis,
meaning that the chassis and the nagative terminal of the battery are not on the same potential.
correct , there is a battery monitor between the Battery negative terminal and chassis .Not sure what component joins them , maybe a resistance wire or maybe it works magnetically . its very comprehensive in the data it collects though .
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 23:02   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post
Mine started working pretty much immediately, so something not right there if it hasn't come on at all ... not that I'd miss it, first thing I do when I drive off is to turn this off as I hate the engine stopping and starting whenever I get into traffic...
you have an auto i presume? Horrible and disconcerting isn't it , wrong in so many ways ... Volvo got the logic wrong , it would be better if it only worked after you put the handbrake on . They spent so much modifying the gearbox casing with an extra electric pump to keep it primed with oil pressure when stopped .. then they go and launch it with software like that ..
However its fine on a manual , saves around 8% in the traffic .
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 00:25   #23
GMTRB5

Exactly! Completely agree, in a manual box it's fine as you can control the stop start, so if you know you'll be sitting there for a while you can use it, and if it is crawling along you don't .. with an auto you get no choice and I really don't like it...

To be fair it was the same on my 5 series as well, I'd turn it off straight away, and then if was approaching a big queue I'd turn it back on again for that... bit geeky maybe, but I hate the thought of the engine constantly turning off then on again in a queue of slow moving traffic, it must do more harm than good...?!
GMTRB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 10:15   #24
tankplanker

I did some testing yesterday as I was in a long queue of traffic. I found if I put the car into manual just before the car stopped (even if it was using autopilot) the stop/start did not engage but the auto brake did. If I left it in auto it would use stop/start once the auto brake came on. So for my car at least I can decide not to use stop/start for a quick stop by selecting manual!
MY17 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription in Bright Silver with Blond Nappa leather, laminated and tinted side glass, sunroof, power cushions and folding headrests, winter and seven seat comfort packs, heated rear seats, retractable tow bar
tankplanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 13:06   #25
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post
Exactly! Completely agree, in a manual box it's fine as you can control the stop start, so if you know you'll be sitting there for a while you can use it, and if it is crawling along you don't .. with an auto you get no choice and I really don't like it...

To be fair it was the same on my 5 series as well, I'd turn it off straight away, and then if was approaching a big queue I'd turn it back on again for that... bit geeky maybe, but I hate the thought of the engine constantly turning off then on again in a queue of slow moving traffic, it must do more harm than good...?!
On my journey to work with my Mercedes I used to try and beat my best mpg. I found surprisingly that I got the best MPG when not using the stop/start. In the end I just got used to turning it off when getting in the car.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 22:02   #26
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you have an auto i presume? Horrible and disconcerting isn't it , wrong in so many ways ... Volvo got the logic wrong , it would be better if it only worked after you put the handbrake on . They spent so much modifying the gearbox casing with an extra electric pump to keep it primed with oil pressure when stopped .. then they go and launch it with software like that ..
However its fine on a manual , saves around 8% in the traffic .
I have to second that. Linking it to the handbrake would be much better. Our V40 auto has it and it is always micro turning off and on. If it was linked to the handbrake it would only come on when it was needed. Trying to anticipate the conditions to make it work properly is nigh on impossible. If it was down to me I would just turn it off but my wife likes it on although she can rarely get it to work either. So often you stop the engine turns off and then you accidentally touch the steering wheel or accelerator to change position a tiny bit and the engine turns back on and won't go off again. Being linked to the handbrake would stop all that.

Roy
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 15:10   #27
ChrisSW

Default Low battery caused it for me

I too lost start/stop. The car is 2017 spec - there were apparently software issues or whatever with the 2016 spec, but no issues reported on the 2017 spec. Eventually after a number of days with the dealer, they found that the car battery had never been fully charged. They recharged the battery and so far, 2 weeks later, the start/stop is operating correctly. Oh, and apparently to trickle charge the XC90, you need a charger costing around £450...your normal £14-£15 one from Amazon does nothing...
ChrisSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 16:38   #28
jimbg
Master Member

I can imagine you would need a smart charger....................but £450 I don't think so!!.

Have a look at the Cetek range

Last edited by jimbg; Sep 19th, 2016 at 16:42. Reason: Recomendation
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 17:09   #29
ChrisSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
I can imagine you would need a smart charger....................but £450 I don't think so!!.

Have a look at the Cetek range
Just stating what was told me by the service manager...they had to buy three or so of them for software updates and for keeping cars in the showroom with power as customers opening and closing tailgates, playing with settings etc.
ChrisSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 17:16   #30
jimbg
Master Member

Perhaps he meant £450 for several?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote