Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 LPT 2.3 problems starting in damp

Views : 6643

Replies : 160

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:00   #21
haymitch

They changed the sensor yesterday so that's all done. I also added the 4l meths this morning and went on a 60 mile drive. All was going fine until about 30 miles in when multiple warning lights came up on the dashboard: lower washer fluid, brake circuit failure, battery charge fault, bulb failure, parking brake, ABS fault, and SRS fault (intermittently)!

I carried on driving home as everything seemed to working fine and the engine temperature wasn't rising, but the warning lights stay on now when I restart the ignition. The car drives as normal with no driveability issues.

I was wondering if this could point to the alternator problems that were mentioned by Dirty Rooster earlier?

Last edited by haymitch; Nov 6th, 2018 at 16:05.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:05   #22
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Alternator

This is a typical symptom of a failing alternator. Do you still have your alternator belt? Check all other wiring around the alternator, especially since they have been fiddling around to exchange the sensor.
Rversteeg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:07   #23
haymitch

Gargh, took a look under the bonnet and the alternator belt has come off :| It's just one of those weeks! At least it came off on my test run I suppose rather than on the way to work.

Last edited by haymitch; Nov 6th, 2018 at 16:15.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:16   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Gargh, took a look under the bonnet and the alternator belt has come off :| It's just one of those weeks! At least it came off on my test run I suppose rather than on the way to work.
That was going to be my suggestion! I assume you've refitted it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:21   #25
haymitch

No, the belt is currently in pieces on the under tray of the car!

I've not fitted a belt before so I'm currently exploring my options I have another belt in the boot that the previous owner left so I can try and fit that one if it's the right size.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:44   #26
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

I've not fitted a belt before so I'm currently exploring my options I have another belt in the boot that the previous owner left so I can try and fit that one if it's the right size.

I would ask myself two questions.
  • How much is a brand new belt? and
  • Why am I asking myself that, instead of just getting a brand new belt.

Oh and by the way, if the belt has been failing, perhaps the battery has not been receiving a fully effective charge, leading to hesitancy starting the car. If you are lucky, "the entire thing" could be that simple.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:55   #27
haymitch

Yes, that thought has occurred to me as well. That this could just have been the belt all along It would be great but pretty damned frustrating all at once.

I've inspected the belt in the boot and it looks very old, so I won't be fitting that one.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 17:44   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Can you reach any fragments of the old belt at all? If so, try and retrieve them to find a size marking, strangely there were several different sizes of belt fitted to the red block engines, it all depends on whether or not it has A/C, what side the alternator is on, general spec/size of alternator, how many chickens you've sacrificed in the past month and how many goats have been sacrificed to Loki and Thor.

In other words, no hard and fast rule!

Could be worth trying the old belt in the boot to see if it's the right size and if so, fit it to get you out of a spot and get a new belt ASAP.

Doesn't help that you live in a black hole devoid of any car spares shops and with the no-existent bus service, you're pretty much snookered!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 19:34   #29
haymitch

Some of the fragments of the old belt are still there - I'll have a look.

I've also managed to find the part numbers from the receipt from the garage that replaced all the belts in July 2017. I've done 12000 miles since then so I wouldn't expect one to disintegrate. I don't suppose there's any point trying to get them replaced for free? The other belts are the same make so they don't fill me with confidence.

I'll take a look at the part numbers of the belts that are on there and try to work out which belt I need by process of elimination. Tbh, I might try my breakdown cover as I won't be around to fix the car over the next couple of days.

Thankfully we have two cars - so I can use that to get to work in the meantime, but having one off the road makes things a lot more difficult.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 19:46   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's possible they fitted the wrong belt - the length might be ok but the VOlvos need a certain profile so they sit more on the sides of the pulley "V" than in it.

If the wrong profile belt is used, the belt will sit right down in the "V" of the pulley and after time, can wear rapidly and eventually shred.

As for a guarantee - normally i's 12k miles or 12 months, whichever is the sooner so you're probably past the 12 month period and borderline on the mileage.
Could be worth a phone call though!

If you have the receipt, you should be able to see the PAS and A/C belts and (hopefully) read the numbers on those and eliminate them.

Typing the part numbers into ebay or even just the search bar should bring up the belts and you may find that helps narrow things down.

If your breakdown service covers you at home, go for it as that's what you pay your premiums for! If it only covers you a certain distance from home (usually 1/4 mile, some are 1/2 mile), drive that far away and "break down" - the warning lights all appeared so you didn't want to drive it any further, did you? Similar thing if it covers you at home, it started then all the lights came up and so on.

Always useful to have more than one car living out in the sticks but still a pain when one of them is poorly, if the other comes out in sympathy you're well and truly stuck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: