Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Impact Wrenches.

Views : 1861

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 17:33   #11
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
I've never been disappointed with my Snap-On, even if it didn't make your list...
You must be one of the few who haven't been disappointed with Snap On. Compared to DeWalt and Milwaukee, the Snap On felt like a toy to me. It just didn't have a good power to price ratio.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 18:01   #12
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If you're just buying a single impact wrench, I would go for something reasonably powerful but in as small a form factor as possible.

The amount of time wasted by getting the impact wrench out, only to find that its just a bit too big for the available space does eat into work time. And as soon as you start attaching extensions and impact joints and holding it at a funny angle you are really dialing down the effectiveness of the tool.

Obviously it depends on your required use, but for me I know I could work much faster on certain jobs (suspension etc) if my impact wrench was physically smaller. Most bolts you'll take off are not torqued to 300nm but having a gun that can just whip them off at speed is very useful.

In an ideal world, I have a milwaukee M18 fuel 1100nm sat on the shelf as a backup comined with a compact unit for day to day work.

Last edited by T5R92011; Aug 12th, 2019 at 18:07.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 01:27   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Milwaukee's are great & definitely worth consideration. They aren't the cheapest impact wrench on the market admittedly, but they're powerful & are very robust.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 02:05   #14
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I have DeWalt DCF899 as above, the gun is great except it falls over due to being top heavy but as a tool its amazingly powerful
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 02:06   #15
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Have you a caravan?
Need rattle gun to wind the legs.
Have you arthritus?
Need rattle gun or the job is only half done before the pain causes you to stop.
Have you a garage?
No, then the job needs doing and once started has to be compleated no matter the weather.
Rattle gun aids that outcome

All these reasons were used to justify my purchase to both Management and myself.
Yes we can manage without them but I preffer to manage without other things like trips to the pub to have them
Have had family visiting this last week, what I have spent in admission fees, meals out, and transport costs would of baught me half a dozen rattle guns. Now I do not begrudge spending on the family or grandkids and would rather spend time with them than under the car, rattle gun is now indispensable to ensure the car is available and the time to spend with family is also available..

It's not you want a rattle gun, it's you need a rattle gun.

Paul.
yea but the cordless big boy guns weigh loads so still going to struggle if got dodgy joints
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 07:56   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
yea but the cordless big boy guns weigh loads so still going to struggle if got dodgy joints
That's why I baught 2, a C1002 and a 285, best of both worlds, plus an understanding wife means I'm happy all round.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:51   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Following on from griston64’s thread re his hub nut and Laird Scooby’s subsequent post about the 12volt impact wrench I’m considering investing in a reasonably priced impact wrench. I don’t think that I would consider the 12volt 350Nm version which Dave has modified but I could fancy a cordless 1/2” drive.
I’ve seen a couple marketed by Machine Mart. 1) Clarke CIR18LIC 450Nm, £137.99. 2) Draper Stormforce CIW20LISF £155.98.
Some of the reviews on these cheaper wrenches seem to indicate that they are not up to the job and as I will probably be using said wrench on the likes of hub nuts and crankshaft pulley nuts instead of a breaker bar & scaffolding pole etc. I don’t want to waste my money on something which will not do the job.
Observations/advice/comments please.
I would save your money and stick to your old methods , these power guns are responsible for all the rusty wheel bolts you see on volvos too ...
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:21   #18
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Thanks for all the input guys.

I cannot justify the cost for the very occasional use so will carry on as before.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:44   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I cannot justify the cost for the very occasional use so will carry on as before.
Same for me , I have managed fine for 40 years of home use with a 1/2" square drive 2 ft bar . and a 350 mn torque wrench for doing up .. In a professional environment when something goes wrong, you can always get a new bolt or have the tools to get around any damage misuse of a power gun causes .
A power gun can cause some big problems when used at home , captive nuts tend to break off in the chassis with the shock loads where they would not with a constant torque from an arm :-) Camshafts ends can break off because cast iron is brittle . and torx and allen headed bolts can round off .
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 19:27   #20
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Same for me , I have managed fine for 40 years of home use with a 1/2" square drive 2 ft bar . and a 350 mn torque wrench for doing up .. In a professional environment when something goes wrong, you can always get a new bolt or have the tools to get around any damage misuse of a power gun causes .
A power gun can cause some big problems when used at home , captive nuts tend to break off in the chassis with the shock loads where they would not with a constant torque from an arm :-) Camshafts ends can break off because cast iron is brittle . and torx and allen headed bolts can round off .
All that is true but not the fault of the tool, if any tool is misused or used inappropriately then damage will be caused. Because you have a rattle gun doesnot mean you have to use it. However removing a nut front the panhandle rod of a landrover that had sat there for 25 years was easy with the c1002, with the old fashioned method of breaker bar I would still be at it because it took all the 1600 Nm knock off torque of the tool to get it off. Fought all the way and no room to swing a 2ft bar.

Working under a 4 poster lift is easier than off the floor as well, unfortunatly don't have the room for one or I would.

As with all tools they have their uses.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: