Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can the on-board camera's be used as Dash Cams?

Views : 2572

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2020, 17:41   #1
eelybaboon
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro

Default Can the on-board camera's be used as Dash Cams?

My dealer said best not to install a stand alone Dash Cam as it can interfere with the on board electronics, but is there a way to make the various camera's fitted to the car save a recording of say the previous 5 minutes before a crash / sudden stop? This should be something Volvo software engineers can come up with?
eelybaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 21:23   #2
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Not heard that before, did they explain what and how?

So what about charging your phone, does that also affect electrics, assuming both can be powered from or via the same source, typically the 12v socket?

(Conspiracy theory: presumably the dealer doesn’t sell dash cams)

Edit: Welcome to the forum!!
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 22:22   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Short answer: No

Long answer: Yes. But you need to work in the Volvo design labs and alter the firmware code and the hardware to tap into the video signals and feed them digitally to some storage mechanism. Doable if you can purchase yourself a volvo design lab, all the hardware and the engineers, and get them to work for you. You'll need a few hundred million GBP.

Or you just buy a 50 GBP dashcam.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 22:40   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

The question about dash cams has been raised before after dealer said Volvo would not agree to it. If I remember correctly a number of replies were that they had fitted dash cams with no problems.

Give it a go.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 09:23   #5
844PHW
Master Member

I had a camera installed adjacent to the central mirror housing by the Volvo dealers before delivery. They were happy to do it and said that Volvo will not let customers access the 4(?) system cameras for unspecified legal reasons (it perhaps affects some countries more than others. Perhaps there is also a possibility of customers' use interfering with the safety/piloting systems.).

The camera is mounted on the windscreen but the wiring is all tucked away behind trim. If I recall correctly, the power is taken from one of the fuseboxes. It is a dual camera system, there is also a rear-facing camera mounted on the rear window.

It would have been better of course if Volvo had provided a factory-fitted option. At least I got to choose the make of camera.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 09:40   #6
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Thinking about this again, the DAB radio on my Lexus was next to useless - the dealer couldn’t find any fault, but when when I uninstalled my aftermarket dashcam (as above, all the wiring hidden behind trim, and piggy back hardwired in the fuse box) just prior to end of lease, the DAB was fine. I learned later that I wasn’t the only one to have this problem, and that it was something to do with the shielding.

Could that be the ‘onboard electrics’ to which they refer?

FWIW the same camera is now in my C70, no problems at all, but then it doesn’t have DAB radio either........

Last edited by Baxlin; Dec 14th, 2020 at 09:45.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 21:42   #7
exmpa

Default Dashcams

Halfords fitted one to my V40, no problems. Dealership removed it for me for fitting into my XC40 prior to delivery. They remarked that Halfords had fitted it correctly. Worked OK in the XC40 for about a week until the power failed. Dealership hadn’t connected it properly!

Really shouldn’t interfere with any other system as long as:

A. The cable is adequately shielded.
B. It is properly fitted.
C. It is a simple standalone system - WiFi, Bluetooth etc have more potential to cause problems.

Exmpa
exmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 18:28   #8
welshdruid

Default Dash Cam latest (from VOLVO UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Short answer: No

Long answer: Yes. But you need to work in the Volvo design labs and alter the firmware code and the hardware to tap into the video signals and feed them digitally to some storage mechanism. Doable if you can purchase yourself a volvo design lab, all the hardware and the engineers, and get them to work for you. You'll need a few hundred million GBP.

Or you just buy a 50 GBP dashcam.
I have recently taken ownership of a XC40 T3 MHEV after part exchanging my Mercedes A250. I too asked about a Volvo approved dash cam as I did not want to invalidate my 3 year warranty. Local dealer said that they were no longer in a position to obtain one as the approved version had been removed from the catalogue. The next generation is due out towards end of June apparently. This is largely confirmed by Volvo UK who also re-iterated that if I chose to go to a 3rd party it may invalidate the 3 year warranty so I guess I'll have to be patient. In relation to the Mercedes, it had a similar front safety camera to the Volvo and for a one off payment of £300 they could flick on the switch to allow that to become a dash cam.
Come on Volvo it can't be difficult and you are missing out on money here. If anyone has other relevant information re dash cams for the XC40 please let me know as I would like to have one fitted. TAVM
welshdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 10:16   #9
844PHW
Master Member

I have been using my xc40 windscreen mounted dashcam for several years now with no apparent problem. Everything seems to work including the safety systems. I guess if Volvo now says "it can cause a problem" then dealers have to go along with that. Do people know whether the objections are actually coming from Volvo or the dealers?
On one occassion i got a recording of an accident that happened just ahead of me. I offered the recording to the police but alas they weren't the least bit interested with this minor incident (but involving injury). Too much trouble to deal with I suppose.

Tags
camera, dash cam