Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Egr position motor

Views : 1018

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2020, 15:09   #1
fifthwheel

Default XC90 Egr position motor

Hi all. I am trying to replace the motor on my 2006 XC90 egr valve.
Has anybody done this and can offer any help, I just cant see how it strips down to change the motor.

I have it off the car and on the bench with the throttle body and cooler off.
I dont want to damage anything, I am sure it will be easy but I just cant see how its done.Thanks john
fifthwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 22:49   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Hi all. I am trying to replace the motor on my 2006 XC90 egr valve.
Has anybody done this and can offer any help, I just cant see how it strips down to change the motor.

I have it off the car and on the bench with the throttle body and cooler off.
I dont want to damage anything, I am sure it will be easy but I just cant see how its done.Thanks john
Is the motor faulty , seized? in which case you need a new EGR valve .
or is the EGR Valve POSITION SENSOR faulty?
which is the black plastic housing, easily changed
Old Dec 26th, 2020, 09:13   #3
fifthwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Is the motor faulty , seized? in which case you need a new EGR valve .
or is the EGR Valve POSITION SENSOR faulty?
which is the black plastic housing, easily changed
In my ignorance I ordered what I thought was the egr motor with the black plastic position sensor. Now I dont think the motor will be included as it does not appear to be available the more I search the internet. Thats the reason I cant see how to strip it as it is not meant to be separated. My motor output pinion is worn so I think the new complete valve is the best way forward, Thanks for the reply john
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 17:25   #4
fifthwheel

I bit the bullet and replaced the complete EGR valve and my problem has gone.
The engine runs great but I now have "ECM 2E00 fuel metering control valve signal missing" DTC showing in Vida. I had a high pressure fuel pipe disconnected when I changed the EGR and the code has been showing ever since the engine was restarted.
I thought it was just a simple delete all DTC codes but it immediately comes back on after I clear the codes. I stupidly connected the battery and tried to start the engine with the plug disconnected from the valve. I have disconnected the battery again and left it nearly an hour I am just about to connect it and try again. Will report back. john
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 18:04   #5
fifthwheel

Ive connected the battery but the DTC is still there. Could I have caused the fault by running the engine with the plug disconnected?
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 19:32   #6
paddy74

Have you double checked all plugs? Maybe you forgot one? Sorry, can't be of more help, have no idea about the EGR... :|

But signal missing can always be something plug/contact wise.
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 12:01   #7
fifthwheel

I used the adaptation in Vida as I had the fuel rail plug removed previously, it seemed to work. Just a question about the adaptation, my Vida does not seem to tell me when the adaptation is finished like some you tube tutorials. When I start the adaptation it tells me to turn off the ign, when I do it tells me no communication. Ive tried the key in all positions.

If the car stays as is then I am rid of the problems and all is good. I have been on a long road test and really have driven it hard but touch wood all is good. The car drives like a rocket and has never performed like this in the last two years I have owned it.

What I have done so far.
New EGR valve with electronic control. New link for the swirl flaps (I modified the plastic link to encourage it to stay in place) The link had been missing all the time I have had the car so little wonder it now goes so well. Thanks for the help fingers crossed it stays good. john.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 18:00   #8
fifthwheel

Update, just when I thought I was in the clear the dreaded red triangle appeared again. Vida said the fuel pressure regulating valve "no signal" so after a lot of faffing around I bought a new valve and fitted it. After a long run covering the same route that brought on the previous DTC all is now good and no codes showing apart from the airco valve which has been on for two years, I can get by without the airco this weather I think!

As for the adaptation not working in Vida. Vida was telling me to switch off the ign but I was not turning the key far enough, I thought if I did turn it all the way it Vida would lose connection to the car. It does not and now my adaptation works. So all good fingers crossed its cured. Thanks John.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifthwheel For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 20:32   #9
fifthwheel

Last posting hopefully, I got the red triangle back after many miles, I didn't know what to do next, I had done everything.

I just happened to look under the big heavy engine wiring loom and found a connector
hidden underneath. It goes to the pressure sensor on the high pressure fuel pump.
I had checked it before and it looked fine. This time I was a bit heavy handed with it and found the wire parted but the insulation was still holding it together. It was making and breaking contact with the rocking of the engine.

The wire from new was too short coming out of the main loom and was under tension
all of the time. I bought a new plug with repair tails already fitted and soldered it to the old wires, now all is good. I did spend £80 on a new pressure control valve unnecessarily but glad I have cracked the problem. John.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fifthwheel For This Useful Post: