Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stuck In Park Answer

Views : 27476

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2019, 16:05   #11
Essfortee

Update for anyone interested...
Took the cup holders/phone out and gear surround so I could get decent access to the cable. The yellow end clip prizes off the and the cable can be adjusted either way. Then simply just press the yellow clip back into place and it clamps the cable.
Job done....as easy as that... I now have a fully smooth working gearstick button.
Takes literally 5-10 minutes
This is one of the the fixes if the white piece is not going far enough down to release the park button.

Lee
Essfortee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 14:28   #12
Symesxc70

Default Same issue, but more peculiar

Hi everyone. Thanks for this super useful thread.

I have the same issue. Only, the white block is free to move very easily, so much so that it falls under its own weight! But only with the cable disconnected. When disconnected, the cable is also free and moves very easily under the action of the key.
When connected together however, they both stick 😔

Will keep trying to lubricate the cable inner some more, otherwise out of ideas!

Best regards
Symesxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 15:30   #13
Symesxc70

Hi everyone. Thanks for this super useful thread.

I have the same issue. Only, the white block is free to move very easily, so much so that it falls under its own weight! But only with the cable disconnected. When disconnected, the cable is also free and moves very easily under the action of the key.
When connected together however, they both stick 😔

Will keep trying to lubricate the cable inner some more, otherwise out of ideas!

Best regards
Symesxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 11:49   #14
Grandad Jimmy

Default Stuck in park

Hi. Your post is very helpful. I have this problem on my Volvo XC90 2004. Stuck in park. I managed to press the white button button down and move the gear lever to drive. Soon as I go into park it sticks again. Is it easy to tension the cable. Or will I have to get a new one. Also how can I check if the solenoid is working which is apart of the brake pedal. Hope you can be of some help. Thanks very much.
Grandad Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 00:12   #15
BritInSweden

I've been messing about with this for ages. When i turned the key i could feel the cable trying to move as i had my fingers jammed up the side of the gearshifter from the passenger side so knew the electrics were working there just wasn't enough power to move the switch to the right place.
I solved it in the end by getting on my hands and knees outside the passenger door leaning in to under the gearshifter to get to the mechanism as described by op and spraying bike chain lubricant in anywhere i could see a moving part and that did it.
BritInSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 18:26   #16
Frank McPeake

Default Gear lever stuck in Park

Hi...new to forum but been a v70 Volvo owner for 18 years .....266k miles.

Having similar problem with wife's XC 70 X-country. Hasn't been started for 5 - 6 weeks due to conrona virus. Started ok no problem but wouldn't shift out of park. Spent hours pulling off trim around gear lever & trans tunnel...easy when u know how !!!
Anyway eventually got to what I now know to be the 'shift lock cable' & with a long screwdriver was able to push the yellow connector on the cable back / forward to allow the shifter to operate......car then drove fine......BUT when ignition switched off couldn't get key out so had to wiggle the yellow connector on the cable back / forward and could hear ignition loch click ....allowing the key to be extracted.

Have tried wd 40 as it was all I had around this area but to no avail.

Also had gear knob off & 'lifter rod' inside the mechanism all ok and operates when gear lever button depressed.

Any suggestions please as wife doesn't like what she sees with trim lying every where & the cars innards on display

Many thanks......Frank
Frank McPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 00:03   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Good solution!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 14:38   #18
Finny

Default XC90 stuck in park resolved!

I've found this thread to be extremely helpful in assessing the possible causes to this problem of having the gearshift stuck in park. Upon further 'tinkering' I discovered that if you turn the silver rod that goes through the yellow knob clockwise (which extends the rod) this solves the problem. The silver rod has threads at the end that goes through the yellow knob and you have to unscrew the console (cupholder) to get access to the end of the rod.

Hope this helps!
Finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 15:01   #19
Simon R

Default Stuck in Park XC90 D5 ( 2005 )

If you are stuck in park, pop up the main plate surrounding the gear shift using small flat screwdriver. When you lift it up ( not off ) you can access the 4 x clips on the smaller plate surrounding the gear lever and move this down off the main plate.

The white square plastic button located on the drivers side of the gear shift can then be manually pressed down with the screwdriver. Then you can move the gear lever.

When the car is turned off and the key taken out of ignition, the white button retracts back up. My seemed to be sticky so I sprayed W40 around both the white plastic button and the yellow cable connection. It sort of solved the issues for a few times then it started to play up again.

It so happened that I was also fixing a wet carpet and needed to get the rear one out, so I in fact started to lift up the center console ( quite easy - approx 6 retaining screws ) and then that gave me better access to the gear shift and the famous yellow plastic cable connector.

So when you turn the key to start the white button "should" go down and then the yellow connector goes direction to the back of the car.

In my case this wasn't happening so as a sort of quick fix, I managed to move the cable on the yellow plastic connector, direction to the front whilst keeping the yellow connector pushed to the back ( i.e white one is permanently down ).

This will work but keep in mind, you have disconnected the interlock to the ignition. Not the end of the world but just remember to put the gear into Park before turning the car off and taking out the key. Otherwise if left in drive, the starter motor will try to turn the gear as well and "may" shunt the car forward. If left in Neutral ( and you don't put the Parking Break on ) then the car can slide away if you are on a hill.

Hope this helps.

If anyone can tell me out of interest whether the cable is supposed to move the yellow connector back or if the white button going down in fact pulls the cable towards the back, that would be great ? Tks alot.
Simon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 17:31   #20
nickdav80

Worth pointing out that there are two locks on the gearshifter. One is the mechical lock activated by the key turn as amply described above. The second is an electrical lock that prevents the gearshifter being moved from park unless the foot brake is being pressed.

If you encounter a stuck gearshifter first check you have working brake lights. If you do then it is likely that the mechanical lock is at fault as described above but if you don't then there is an electrical fault. There are two likely causes of an electrical fault - either the brake light switch has failed or you have had water ingress in the central electrical module (CEM). First check the brake light switch -pull it and check for correct operation/continuity. If this is not the problem then you need to inspect the CEM. Instructions on how to inspect and remove can be found on YouTube eg https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U8UozG9qLvM&t=229s

In the case of my car there was very clear evidence of water ingress. I removed the CEM and sent it to Prolux Electronics (advertises on eBay) and had it back the day after they received it. Once reinstalled the gearshift worked perfectly again. On reassembly I took some steps to waterproof the wiring loom tray below the windscreen as I suspect it doesn't drain as it should any more and instead caused water to track into the CEM.

It is possible to move the car with this fault but there will be no brake lights so don't use it on the road! To move manipulate the manual shifter lock so that the shifter can be moved to neutral with the ignition off. Then start the engine, depress brake and move to Drive or Reverse. Once you put it back into Park it will be stuck there and you will need to switch off and repeat the process to move again.

Finally a couple of other things worth pointing out:
1) the fault could also be the electrical lock itself but this appears to be unusual by comparison to the other causes.
2) CEMs appear to hold vehicle specific information so it is not straightforward to swap to another one. Repair is thus the less inconvenient option and is inexpensive.

Good luck!

Nick
nickdav80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickdav80 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gear lever, park, stuck in park