Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Servicing your Volvo

Views : 24383

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: How do you service your Volvo out of warranty?
Main dealer service plan (pay monthly) 24 12.24%
Main dealer year by year 75 38.27%
Independent garage 95 48.47%
Sell car and buy a new one 2 1.02%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 9th, 2019, 18:49   #51
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

I have always changed the oil and filter between services and the engine on my V70 (215k mls) is still quiet and trouble free.

Now I also have a XC60 (2015) and although the dealer can't be faulted for the servicing on both occasions the bill is eye watering!

I too would like to know how to check the oil level when changing the oil?

A guide would be helpful.

Questions like how to trust the level shown on the display. Does it need ignition switched on and off to re-scan the level or does it constantly give a updated level?

How much oil to put in before checking the level?
A mechanic said that the level shown on the display can be reset electronically. So can this level be trusted?

The mechanics of changing the oil and filter hold no worries but the lack of a dipstick spooks me a bit.

Any tips or guides welcome.

Thanks
Bob
The gauge gives an average over the previous 30km/20 miles and - so far as I can tell - the 'reset' just forces a max indication (it is not a calibration). Even worse, it isn't really a gauge, merely something that can only display either min or max as a simple threshold is crossed. You just have to drain out all the old oil, then fairly accurately add the correct amount... I'd tell you what that is but Volvo keep changing the figure. Last I heard it was 5.1L but, whatever you put in, the high or low warning system will alert you.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 07:48   #52
dgunthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

I have always changed the oil and filter between services and the engine on my V70 (215k mls) is still quiet and trouble free.

Now I also have a XC60 (2015) and although the dealer can't be faulted for the servicing on both occasions the bill is eye watering!

I too would like to know how to check the oil level when changing the oil?

A guide would be helpful.

Questions like how to trust the level shown on the display. Does it need ignition switched on and off to re-scan the level or does it constantly give a updated level?

How much oil to put in before checking the level?
A mechanic said that the level shown on the display can be reset electronically. So can this level be trusted?

The mechanics of changing the oil and filter hold no worries but the lack of a dipstick spooks me a bit.

Any tips or guides welcome.

Thanks
Bob
I fitted a normal dipstick to my V60 D4 (police kit apparently - found part numbers on here) - makes life a lot easier on oil change. Might be same kit for your engine
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 07:59   #53
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgunthor View Post
I fitted a normal dipstick to my V60 D4 (police kit apparently - found part numbers on here) - makes life a lot easier on oil change. Might be same kit for your engine
Good idea, but unfortunately only for the older 5-cylinder engines.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 14:43   #54
dgunthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispynuts View Post
What about doing the servicing yourself ?
I have always done my own and always intend to ( dont trust anybody with my car)
Same here, just did genuine aux belt and tensioner and recon alternator for £170 (bearings were going on alternator)

prefer to work on my car myself
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 19:12   #55
Longweekend

Smile

Received a better price for a 9 year service and new aux belt from a dealer than an indie today, and they included home collection and delivery.....

Last edited by Longweekend; Jul 1st, 2019 at 19:42.
Longweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Longweekend For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 22:54   #56
megastef

Froggie here.

I bought my 2012 v60 d5 auto fwd in 2014 with 25.000km.

Now 170.000km.

My local volvo dealer charges 650 € for oil and filter change, which is not that far from the current legal definition of stealing.

From word of mouth, I had a good contact with a local mechanic shop, Bosch Diesel technical station, who now takes care of my volvo for half the price.

I recently did a big service with :
- timing belt (and water pump, pulleys, volvo genuine...)
- 2 aux belts (+ pulleys, volvo genuine)
- change of the left drive shaft (exchange part)

They charged me 1100 € parts and labor, with a lending car for two days.

A closer local shop takes care of wearables : tires, brakes... I stick with ATE pads and rotors, they last almost twice longer than bosch or valeo.
megastef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to megastef For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 15:10   #57
megastef

Independent.

Local Volvo charges 650€ (around £600)for an oil and filter change.
megastef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 20:16   #58
osmansaner

The problem I have with dealers is that you want to get original parts and you want the best possible person doing the replacement for you.

For instance my Volvo V60 CC has 19 inch wheels and the break disk are 316 at front and 300mm rear. Dealer quoted me £459 including VAT to change break pads for front and rear. I asked how much are just the parts they quoted me £149 including VAT. I said "how long will this take?" They said an hour. I said "Are you seriously asking £300 to change the break pads?". There was no answer. So I ended up buying Brembo pads from Eurocarparts and got it done through a local garage for £159 all inclusive. Why can't just Volvo quote £250? I would be happy to pay that. These types of rip-offs leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Anyone else have similar experience?

Dennis
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 11:45   #59
SwedSteel

I try to do everything myself.
But if necessary I would go to an specilalized guy, highly likely an enthusiast rather than to the official Dealership.
SwedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 18:51   #60
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I like many on here service myself butt that option is not there :-(
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service