Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[GUIDE] DPF Experiment and Results

Views : 19200

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2017, 20:47   #11
MrBenjaminHDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I did the calculations for my D5 powered XC90 and found that the DPF regen normally occurs once around every 1.5 tanks of fuel.

So as long as you do a motorway drive of at least 30min for every tank of gas, your car will always regenerate happily.
Not necessarily true I'm afraid, it's not that simple. The DPF will only regenerate once you're beyond a certain soot level. I'm averaging one Regen per one tank of fuel, the list of criteria in my original post is straight from VIDA and therefore your journeys and driving styles are a big factor. You seem to have found a sweet spot with your commutes.

For many of us the lure of £30 a year road tax, 64mpg and 0-60 in 6.7 seconds is too strong and we must learn to understand our DPFs more intimately.
MrBenjaminHDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 21:58   #12
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 22:04   #13
MrBenjaminHDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.
Happy to help, it's a brilliant engine!
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 09:03   #14
antman99
VOC Member

Just wanted to say thanks, great research and effort, not personally had a problem in my FWD D4 but good to know what to check.
antman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 09:57   #15
MrBenjaminHDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman99 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks, great research and effort, not personally had a problem in my FWD D4 but good to know what to check.
My pleasure, I've not heard of the rising oil level with the D4s I understand it was designed new from the ground up whereas the 5 cylinder D5s have been tinkered with over the years and weren't originally made to run a DPF.

Regardless, as you say it's great to know how to manipulate them for a long lasting and healthy engine.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 10:08   #16
craigv60
Master Member

Do you have a feel for how quickly the soot levels fall once an active regeneration has started?

A LONG time ago, there was a post on Briskoda from someone who'd datalogged the progress of a regeneration from start to finish, while at a steady 65mph on a motorway. The car was a Superb with the 2.0 common-rail diesel.

From memory, the data showed that the soot levels fell from the active regen 'start' threshold, to less than 5% soot loading (which was the minimum level indicated by the ECU), in around 10 minutes - so the soot levels fall quickly.

However, the ECU continued post-injection for another few minutes AFTER the soot loading had fallen below 5%, presumably this is a margin to ensure that the maximum amount of soot is burnt off.

Last edited by craigv60; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:11.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 10:15   #17
MrBenjaminHDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Do you have a feel for how quickly the soot levels fall once an active regeneration has started?

A LONG time ago, there was a post on Briskoda from someone who'd datalogged the progress of a regeneration from start to finish, while at a steady 65mph on a motorway.

From memory, the data showed that the soot levels fell from the active regen 'start' threshold, to less than 5% soot loading (which was the minimum level indicated by the ECU), in around 10 minutes.

However, the ECU continued post-injection for another few minutes AFTER the soot loading had fallen below 5%, presumably this is a margin to ensure that the maximum amount of soot is burnt off.
As in the Original post my active regen test was conducted at 60mph and took 27 minutes from start to finish. The car had previously tried to regenerate on my drive to work which would suggest 27 grams of soot, it wouldn't have reduced on the way to work as it wouldn't have reached temp the first time.

I've not been able to watch the soot values live as I was alone in the car without the laptop. If I ever get a chance to I'll live log an active regeneration and update this post.

I'm not sure what Briskoda was logging but in my car the value is given in grams of soot and DPF pressure not % loading.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBenjaminHDM For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 12:22   #18
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBenjaminHDM View Post
I'm not sure what Briskoda was logging but in my car the value is given in grams of soot and DPF pressure not % loading.
I seem to remember that the VAG diagnostics expressed the soot content in the DPF as a percentage, rather than by weight, with an active regeneration being triggered at around 40% full .... but it was a while ago.

It's really useful information, thanks for posting.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 14:51   #19
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBenjaminHDM View Post
My pleasure, I've not heard of the rising oil level with the D4s I understand it was designed new from the ground up whereas the 5 cylinder D5s have been tinkered with over the years and weren't originally made to run a DPF.
Tinkered with is hardly the correct description. The original 163 bhp D5 is virtually a different engine to the 215 bhp D5. Hence the reason it was not fitted in the old XC90 because it would not fit in the chassis. The 185 bhp engines onward were all designed to run a DPF and have proved to be bombproof. They don't have issues unless there is an engine management fault.

Roy
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 15:09   #20
MrBenjaminHDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Tinkered with is hardly the correct description. The original 163 bhp D5 is virtually a different engine to the 215 bhp D5. Hence the reason it was not fitted in the old XC90 because it would not fit in the chassis. The 185 bhp engines onward were all designed to run a DPF and have proved to be bombproof. They don't have issues unless there is an engine management fault.

Roy
If we're going to play semantics then bombproof is hardly the correct description either, I don't think it would sustain a direct hit from a B61 nuclear bomb ;-).

The D5 engines have shared the same block, cylinder bore, stroke, turbos, common rail and compression ratios across different generations including 163-185. I'm not saying the DPF is an afterthought or even that it is done badly, what I am saying is that the D4 in it's current iteration was built from scratch to include a DPF. Over the years and even in this forum there has been DPF issues and oil level caused by DPF issues on the D5 highlighted and discussed.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBenjaminHDM For This Useful Post:

Tags
dpf, regeneration, rising, soot, soot filter