Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lane Keep Assist - Does it only work with solid white lines?

Views : 837

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 23:31   #1
Yelper85

Default Lane Keep Assist - Does it only work with solid white lines?

Hi all,

My 65 plate V65 is very sporadic regarding whether the Lane Keep Assist picks up the road markings to the point I'm wondering if it has to be solid white lines and nothing else will do.

When it does highlight the lines, they only stay on for a few seconds then go off, yet I'm assured by Volvo the system is working fine.

Also, when the line does go red (the few times I can keep it on that long), the feedback and force to counteract the issue isn't very forceful.

Anybody got experience for this age of LKA and had similar operation?

Any advise or info would be more than welcome.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 15:11   #2
RonFleet

On my XC40 I get warnings for broken white lines if I cross them without indicating.
XC40 T3 R-Design Automatic
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 16:01   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFleet View Post
On my XC40 I get warnings for broken white lines if I cross them without indicating.
Yeah I had an XC40 as a courtesy car and the LKA works much better.

Like you say, it picks up most lines, broken or not, yellow, red or white....

The steering force to pull you back in is also much more noticeable in the XC40, but personally I'd like it even stronger. It would be good if you could fully tune those kind of settings to each driver, like on a slide scale of 0-100% where 100% means you need arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger to overcome it rather than just say low, medium or 'high' given they are all relative to the driver.

Old Dec 4th, 2020, 10:42   #4
Easington
Master Member

My 2014 S60 picks up all lines dotted or solid but being this model I only get an audible alert
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 12:39   #5
Deck1ng
Master Member

My 2012 XC60, just been out to local tip and tested the Lane departure, it worked or bleeped at all road line markings, solid and broken. But all I have is a bleep, nothing fancy but fortunately I do have an OFF button.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2020, 18:33   #6
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
My 2012 XC60, just been out to local tip and tested the Lane departure, it worked or bleeped at all road line markings, solid and broken. But all I have is a bleep, nothing fancy but fortunately I do have an OFF button.
I swear mine is faulty, however two Volvo dealers have said it's working.

Then again, their classification of 'working' is basically that the computer says it's fine and there's no error logs.

I feel a trip to another dealer coming on . . .

Old Dec 5th, 2020, 17:19   #7
Drunk

I've recently bought a 16 model D4 with an auto and I tried out the LKA just today on the motorway by following another car with ACC and letting go of the steering wheel. It would let the car to get to the edge of the lane and would steer it back but wouldn't keep it dead straight between the lanes like some others cars do. As I far as I can tell this system is an older one and just assists you in keeping the car between lanes, it's not designed to do it by itself and keep it dead straight. Oh and btw the lane was dotted
Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 08:48   #8
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk View Post
I've recently bought a 16 model D4 with an auto and I tried out the LKA just today on the motorway by following another car with ACC and letting go of the steering wheel. It would let the car to get to the edge of the lane and would steer it back but wouldn't keep it dead straight between the lanes like some others cars do. As I far as I can tell this system is an older one and just assists you in keeping the car between lanes, it's not designed to do it by itself and keep it dead straight. Oh and btw the lane was dotted
Yeah I need to try it on a motorway to really prove it's not working, but my gut says something isn't correct, especially as everybody else here including yourself says the line was dotted/broken.

I'd love to know the logic behind these systems as the number of scenarios are immense.

Out of interest, does your LKA work just as well on B roads and country lanes or does it only really work on A roads and motorways etc where the lines are guaranteed to be there and good quality?

Old Dec 8th, 2020, 22:00   #9
Drunk

It works on B roads too but honestly it's a gimmick there since you have to be concentrated on the road all the time and it basically just vibrates sometimes when you cross the line, though it should realize it's on b-/mountain roads and become less sensitive, at least that's what the manual says.
I was on the motorway today and it was raining/snowing and the LKA had some trouble finding the lanes and when the weather got worse even the ACC turned off, since the radar couldn't see anything.
Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2020, 23:55   #10
MikeGMT
VOC Member

One thing to bear in mind is there are two completely different systems fitted to Volvo’s depending on year and model. Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Lane Keeping Aid (LKA), both differ in how they work and the warnings and assistance given. This could be why there is a disparity between peoples experiences of the system.
Looking in the menu in MY CAR under Driver Support System will specify which of the systems the car is equipped with.