Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Laying up 2011 XC70. Advice?

Views : 498

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2020, 17:10   #1
3tymer

Default Laying up 2011 XC70. Advice?

It is an XC70, but I guess this belongs in General Volvo posts.
I have had a pacemaker fitted and cannot drive for 6 weeks. This morning there was a fierce frost!
The very cold mornings in March this year finished off the 8-yr old OEM battery, I now have a Yuasa battery.
Volvo dealer advice is warming the car up every day. I have a battery charger but cannot lift anything heavy so cannot get the battery into the garage and not sure I can get the leads to the car outside - it stands on the drive all year round as the garage is full of stuff.
I can get a friend to take it for a long run in about 3 weeks.
Any thoughts, please? I will move care to stop the tyres flat-spotting.
Thanks
3tymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 17:42   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tymer View Post
It is an XC70, but I guess this belongs in General Volvo posts.
I have had a pacemaker fitted and cannot drive for 6 weeks. This morning there was a fierce frost!
The very cold mornings in March this year finished off the 8-yr old OEM battery, I now have a Yuasa battery.
Volvo dealer advice is warming the car up every day. I have a battery charger but cannot lift anything heavy so cannot get the battery into the garage and not sure I can get the leads to the car outside - it stands on the drive all year round as the garage is full of stuff.
I can get a friend to take it for a long run in about 3 weeks.
Any thoughts, please? I will move care to stop the tyres flat-spotting.
Thanks
For 6 months I would not bother let alone 6 week's.

If your friend can take it for a run every 3 weeks all will be fine, even if they cannot all will be fine for 6 week's.
I would not be warming the car up regularly if you are not driving it a distance. More wear on the engine in the first 10 minuets of running than the next 10 hours.
We're it mine I would leave it as is and if nessisary charge the battery fully in 6 week's when you are ready to drive.

Having 2 cars and a works van the only vehicle that has daily use is the van, one or both of the cars can stand for 6 week's + , especially this year with lockdowns and travel restrictions. Niether has failed to start when I wanted them to. Even the flat spotting of the tyres should be of no concern, my Caravan which sits in storage 10 months of the year will wear the flat spot round again in 20 miles, and I have never found a problem with the cars.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 18:10   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^^^ what he said, if you can get someone to take it out for half an hour 3 weeks into the 6 week lay-up, if the car is otherwise healthy you will be fine. No need to worry about the tyres either.

Wishing you successful treatment and recovery as well.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 18:36   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

dont worry about the tires geting flat spots just make sure you run the engine up to temp once a week make shure all electrical loads are switched off. there are 25000 cars in storage at bruntingthorpe all of which will end up with new owners . get well soon and enjoy your volvo
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 10:31   #5
happy diver
Active Member Moment

This has been sitting right there but up a bit and to the right since April

Drove it for a few miles last week just like when I parked it but you must disconnect the battery

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 22:25   #6
warninglight
VOC Member

Another vote for it'll be fine!

Plenty of cars in airport parking and on sales forecourts that don't move for more than 6 weeks. No need to do anything!

Hope all goes well with the pacemaker. Not sure if Polestar do a map for them!

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
warninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to warninglight For This Useful Post: