Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hard wire dashcam to 2019 V90CC.

Views : 2780

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 11:01   #1
Mc Lovin

Default Hard wire dashcam to 2019 V90CC.

I bought a Viofo 129 duo dashcam and I intend to buy the 3-wire kit that needs a permanent live, ignition and earth connection. I have a few questions.

I believe volvo use micro fuses so was going to get some micro fuse taps. I’ve had a look at the fuse box details (there are 3 of them?) and watched a video about overloading circuits. Can someone recommend the best place to wire the camera and which fuses to tap? Would it be in the engine compartment or the passenger footwell fuse box? Could someone recommend and possibly link to some decent fuse taps?

Can anyone recommend where to run the cable especially the cable to connect the rear camera. I don't want to interfere with any airbags.

The parking mode option will run until the battery hits 11.8v, 12.0v, 12.2v and 12.4v. What setting would be best? I don’t want to risk draining/damaging the battery.
Mc Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:03   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Use the fusebox in the passenger compartment, you will have trouble getting a cable run from engine compartment into the car, run the cable from power unit up the A pillor (tuck it behind or to the side of the airbag) and under the window rubber to dashcam, the dashcam will not draw much current (milli-amps) so I would not worry about overloading anything.
Set the constant live voltage to the highest setting.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:09   #3
Mc Lovin

I'm also a little concerned about warranty issues? I've read Volvo say that dashcams may void warranty. Is this potentially a problem?

If so I guess I would need to remove it whenever it goes into Volvo.

It's a lease car so I don't want to do anything that voids the warranty.

I was spurred on with this as another driver nearly reversed into me the other day. Liberal use of the horn prevented this, but I'd bet money if they had hit me their story would have been I went into them. Why don't car manufacturers include dash-cam ability. They are so far behind with this tech it's unreal.

Last edited by Mc Lovin; Jun 17th, 2019 at 12:11.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:44   #4
pallison

I have the same model dashcam in my V90 and run the power from the OBD port under the driver side dash, behind the centre console and up the passenger A pillar. The camera sits just to the left of the mirror housing. The rear cable then runs to the rear along the tops of the doors on the passenger side under the headlining, then through the rubber cable gland into the top of the tailgate. The rear camera is stuck to the plastic panel just above the rear window.

Using the OBD connector allows you to simply unplug it for servicing and causes me no issues at the garage. It was serviced 2 weeks ago and they were fine with it as long as it was turned off. The cable I bought on eBay also has a switch for permanent live parking mode or I just have it with the ignition.
pallison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pallison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:37   #5
Mc Lovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallison View Post
I have the same model dashcam in my V90 and run the power from the OBD port under the driver side dash, behind the centre console and up the passenger A pillar. The camera sits just to the left of the mirror housing. The rear cable then runs to the rear along the tops of the doors on the passenger side under the headlining, then through the rubber cable gland into the top of the tailgate. The rear camera is stuck to the plastic panel just above the rear window.

Using the OBD connector allows you to simply unplug it for servicing and causes me no issues at the garage. It was serviced 2 weeks ago and they were fine with it as long as it was turned off. The cable I bought on eBay also has a switch for permanent live parking mode or I just have it with the ignition.
Many thanks. Does the cable have a voltage cut out option like the 3 wire kit? Another option is to use the OBD and then a power bank for parking.

Any chance you can post up a link to the connector (or a similar one)?

Last edited by Mc Lovin; Jun 18th, 2019 at 11:32.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 20:30   #6
pallison

This is the mini USB version I bought for my previous camera on Amazon but for the Viofo I use it with a mini to micro USB adaptor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074M4XM...p_mob_ap_share

They sell a micro version as well, just search for Rearmaster OBD on Amazon. It is either always on as long as the battery is more than 11.6v or switches off with the engine after a few seconds. Details are in the listing.
pallison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pallison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 16:26   #7
Mc Lovin

Big thanks for that. It looks perfect. I believe the camera will go into parking mode anyway once it detects no motion for 5 minutes. The only advantage of the 3 wire kit is parking mode is activated quicker.

Looking into the fuse boxes it appear the one in the passenger foot well is an absolute pain to get to. I'm glad I didn't order the 3 wire kit with the camera now.

Is 11.6v a safe voltage to go down to?
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 20:15   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Regarding the cutoff voltage:

Al levels are safe in your camera
The one you select will depend upon the health of your battery
A healthy battery will stay at a higher voltage for longer.
So start at 12.4V, and then step back a step if you find the time in "parking mode" too short
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 20:23   #9
Mc Lovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Regarding the cutoff voltage:

Al levels are safe in your camera
The one you select will depend upon the health of your battery
A healthy battery will stay at a higher voltage for longer.
So start at 12.4V, and then step back a step if you find the time in "parking mode" too short
The problem is the obd port power supply only has 11.6v option. I wouldn't want to have keep getting the jump leads out if it was an issue.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 22:19   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Lovin View Post
I'm also a little concerned about warranty issues? I've read Volvo say that dashcams may void warranty. Is this potentially a problem?

If so I guess I would need to remove it whenever it goes into Volvo.

It's a lease car so I don't want to do anything that voids the warranty.

I was spurred on with this as another driver nearly reversed into me the other day. Liberal use of the horn prevented this, but I'd bet money if they had hit me their story would have been I went into them. Why don't car manufacturers include dash-cam ability. They are so far behind with this tech it's unreal.

No. Not an issue. I have fitted front and back dash cams in my Volvo and I sourced the front one but it was installed by the dealer at pre-delivery inspection. I fitted the rear one myself a couple of months later. I've a couple of really scary videos from them. One of an idiot overtaking someone in front on a blind corner and only just escaping a head on with an articulated truck. The other when a chap in front of me quite correctly indicated to turn right, off a main road, positioned himself properly on the white line while I followed and pulled to the verge, left, to allow anything following to see his car and indicators. Luckily I stopped a couple of car lengths behind, because the car following me decided just as we were coming to a near standstill to overtake like a prat. He saw the car turning at the last moment [and it saw him and stopped dead] and he just about managed to overtake me on the right and dart back between us to overtake the now stationary turner on the left, lifting dust from the verge. The footage is great from both front and back cameras.

Yes, get them fitted! You may only ever need to look at the footage once, but that once may be amusing or it may be critical evidence of some accident or altercation or whatever.