Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Articles

Notices

850/x70 S1 Articles How to's and step by step guides on a specific repair or modification to a Volvo 850/70 car.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To Replace Rear Brake Pads And Disks

Views : 16156

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 13:09   #1
dooby
Forum Support Team

Default How To Replace Rear Brake Pads And Disks

Hi all,

the other weekend I put some new pads and discs on the back of my 850 so wanted to post the photos in case it helps someone else attempting this job for the first time.

Here's the rear wheels off, ready to start.

Here's the retaining pins being knocked out. I used various diameter punches and a hammer.

Here's the old retaining pins and anti-rattle spring out.

Here's one of the old pads, not much left!

Another shot of the old stuff that came off.

Here's the caliper tied out of the way to the rear spring once the caliper bolts were removed.

That's the disc spigot pin out (10mm).

Here's the view with the disc removed. This was a bit tricky, as the handbrake shoes had worn a groove in the 'hat' of the old disc. This stopped the disc simply coming off. I had to rotate the disc until the access hole lined up with the adjuster cog.

It's a bit tricky, and I've included the photo to help in case (like me) you don't know what it looks like behind the disc :-)

To tighten the shoes to allow the disc to come off I pushed my screwdriver through the hole to push the bottom of the cog. After a while the disc could be removed.

Here's the new (well, 2nd hand but better nick than mine) disc and spigot pin on.

Here's the caliper back on (use new bolts, details below).

You needed to undo this brake hose mount to move the nearside caliper. Don't do what I did and drop the bolt trying to do it back up, it's a real pig to get it back out of the metalwork underneath :-/

Here's the anti-rattle spring held in place with one of the new retaining pins (supplier details below).

Here's the finished job.

The last step was to tighten the handbrake adjuster back up, by lining up the hole in the disc over the cog and pushing the top with the screwdriver. Once it was fully tight so the disc couldn't move I slackened it back off 5-6 clicks and double checked that the handbrake was fully tight at 3-5 clicks of the handle.

I used EBC Green Stuff pads, which were just over £31 I think. The replacement caliper bolts (4) came from Volvo, part 985421. Don't remember the price, sorry. The replacement pins and anti-rattle springs came from eBay (seller www-c-autoparts-com) for about £16 posted.

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace