Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI MMM2 satnav (MY8-11) not being updated

Views : 18488

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2015, 23:38   #11
bolgia10

Hi, thanks, good to hear there may yet be reason to have hope. I wonder what made them change their mind about the p2001 system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldairbear View Post
As you said getting any answer, let alone a truthful one, out of Volvo appears to be less than blood out of a stone
Volvo Mapcare were certainly useless. As you can see above, just a buck-passing generic reply. To be fair to Volvo UK, although Ms Rhodes didn't have an answer for me, she initially seemed willing to make some more enquiries, but then declined to do so because my car is registered abroad. Don't really see what that has to do with the price of fish, as this issue must concern thousands of us the world over. My UK home is not 20 miles from her office! Perhaps just a convenient way to get rid of me. I've come to see customer services departments as a "human shield" - i.e. you get a real human to talk to, but their ultimate purpose is just to shield the company from its annoying customers
bolgia10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 19:22   #12
mhon72
Master Member

It is ironic the MMM RTI in the older P2 models have more up-to-date discs than those available in the MMM2 system in the P3 models.

I've been told by my sources in the local Volvo parts dept that the whole Volvo Mapcare program for these cars became a shambles after the mapping provider was sold off. As a consequence no updates have been produced since...

Perhaps Clan can verify if this was indeed true.

Needless to say I'm frustrated by this and should have held out for the 2012 model year,
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 13:37   #13
bolgia10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhon72 View Post
I've been told by my sources in the local Volvo parts dept that the whole Volvo Mapcare program for these cars became a shambles after the mapping provider was sold off. As a consequence no updates have been produced since
Could be, could be. Although it seems that only we (MMM2 owners) have been affected.

Personally, I'm inclined to say that the timing tells a rather different story, i.e. that abandoning MMM2 in 2013 (with the 2013w20 update) was a planned move:

2011 - Last cars with MMM2. RTI satnav option sold to MY11 owners with a promise of 2 free updates.
2012 - New sensus system launched, superseding MMM2.
2012 - Free update No. 1 for MY11 owners with MMM2.
2013 - Free update No. 2 for MY11 owners with MMM2, and last *ever* "planned" update.

When my MY11 car was sold, the roll-out of the new MY12 cars was already scheduled, presumably they were already in production. Plans for what to do with the older RTI systems after introducing sensus must already have been discussed.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 13:44   #14
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

It is a shame that these systems are all so "proprietary". Something based on a system that was a little more open would be easier for either Volvo or the customer to maintain and update.
That would also endear their customers to them more readily for future sales etc.. but I am eternally optimistic!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 23:42   #15
BarryK
40 years with Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgia10 View Post
Hi, anyone noticed, or at all concerned, that the RTI MMM2 satnav maps (DVD discs) for the system installed in cars up to MY11 are no longer being updated?

Have tried contacting MapCare and Volvo, but no answers, and to no avail.

Seems rather arbitrary and unfair that they've rendered (near) redundant a feature that cost a lot of money just 4 years ago in my MY11 V70.

All the official Volvo accessories sites indicate that the last update (which I have) was from 2013:

"The map data are from model year 2014 (2013w20). No new updates are planned."

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-473154/2011
I contacted a dealer on this because I too was considering an update and they said that they expect that there will be another update.
BarryK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 00:49   #16
bolgia10

Good to hear. Hope so.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 14:05   #17
Paddy27

Just seen this thread. That's not good news at all.

Do like the the inbuilt satnav. Used it to get to Wales back on the weekend, worked really well.

Am at a Dealers in a few weeks so i think i push them for an answer as they have been helpful in the past.
Paddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 15:04   #18
bolgia10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy27 View Post
Just seen this thread. That's not good news at all.

Do like the the inbuilt satnav. Used it to get to Wales back on the weekend, worked really well.

Am at a Dealers in a few weeks so i think i push them for an answer as they have been helpful in the past.
Hi there. Great, give it a try, any info is better than nothing, which is what I've received from official sources so far. The news from BarryK's dealer that an update is at least expected is encouraging, although a dealer's opinion of course is going to be the monkey talking rather than the organ grinder.

My guess is that someone in the Volvo management, somewhere, sometime, took a decision on this. I'd say if you want to get to the bottom of it, Ms Rhodes at Volvo UK might be the best chance. She seemed willing and able enough, but just won't talk to me personally because my car's registered abroad. My local dealer just says "Ah no naaaaahfin" They're still selling the 2013 set at the equivalent of £150, that's obviously the dealer's take on the matter.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 21:49   #19
mantee78

Could someone confirm or deny that those maps work on MM2 RTI?

http://www.satnavdisc.co.uk/volvo-rt...av-disc-update

Thanks
mantee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mantee78 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 21:58   #20
RM955I
Premier Member

Map update is rumoured for Q3 2016...at which point I'll buy a disc from eBay.

The standard interface is pretty rubbish and the routing questionable. If I can get a disc from eBay I will, if not I won't lose any sleep over it.