Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trigger the 940lpt

Views : 17273

Replies : 299

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2019, 14:44   #51
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Flame trap at a turbo?
Why?

have a nice day, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 15:09   #52
LPTJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Flame trap at a turbo?
Why?

have a nice day, Kay
There's no flametrap pn the turbo models

To put it simply, LairdScooby refers to the 'Y' shaped connecting pipe that isn't a flametrap as a flametrap (Don't ask)
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 15:23   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
There's no flametrap pn the turbo models

To put it simply, LairdScooby refers to the 'Y' shaped connecting pipe that isn't a flametrap as a flametrap (Don't ask)
The USA Volvo Parts Webstore calls it a nipple Joe. It's what i've always known as a flame trap. On P6B Rovers, they used exactly the same in-line fuel filter as fitted between the fuel pump and carbs as a flametrrap between the L/H rocker cover and air cleaner housing - likewise the carb'd versions of the SD1 V8 as well.

Haynes referred to it as a flametrap in my Volvo 740/760 OWM, i can't find it at the moment but i'm sure they did. Search ebay for "Volvo flametrap" and look what comes up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&_sacat=181877

Obviously i'm not unique in referring to them as flametraps!

For the record, i wasn't advocating moving it to the turbo (although i have seen some engines with flametraps/spark arrestors on the turbo inlets - a long and different story!), i was simply suggesting raising it up a few inches so it was above the inlet manifold, directly above the oil separator. It makes a vast difference to how clean it stays and by extension, how clean the rest of the PCV system stays and also oil consumption!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 15:26   #54
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The USA Volvo Parts Webstore calls it a nipple Joe. It's what i've always known as a flame trap. On P6B Rovers, they used exactly the same in-line fuel filter as fitted between the fuel pump and carbs as a flametrrap between the L/H rocker cover and air cleaner housing - likewise the carb'd versions of the SD1 V8 as well.

Haynes referred to it as a flametrap in my Volvo 740/760 OWM, i can't find it at the moment but i'm sure they did. Search ebay for "Volvo flametrap" and look what comes up :

For the record, i wasn't advocating moving it to the turbo (although i have seen some engines with flametraps/spark arrestors on the turbo inlets - a long and different story!), i was simply suggesting raising it up a few inches so it was above the inlet manifold, directly above the oil separator. It makes a vast difference to how clean it stays and by extension, how clean the rest of the PCV system stays and also oil consumption!

I'm not 100% sure with the way the pipes work that you can actually move it up

I will take pics tomorrow
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 15:36   #55
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I'm not 100% sure with the way the pipes work that you can actually move it up

I will take pics tomorrow
The small bore pipe to the inlet manifold and the pipe to the air cleaner need re-routing slightly but other than that, it's simply fitting a longer piece of pipe between the oil separator and the flametrap. If i can find the pics i took of my 740, i'll add them but they're hidden somewhere thanks to Photobucket when they went all diva on us!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 15:43   #56
LPTJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

The Ebay link you've posted just shows actual flametraps, not the plastic 'Y' shaped fitting that sits in that location on turbo cars.

I like you and don't want to get into another bun fight with you about this, but for the sake of future redblock turbo owners who might not know any better and stumble across this thread, it's really important to make this clear....

#THE TURBO CARS DO NOT HAVE A FLAMETRAP#
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 15:52   #57
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
The Ebay link you've posted just shows actual flametraps, not the plastic 'Y' shaped fitting that sits in that location on turbo cars.

I like you and don't want to get into another bun fight with you about this, but for the sake of future redblock turbo owners who might not know any better and stumble across this thread, it's really important to make this clear....

#THE TURBO CARS DO NOT HAVE A FLAMETRAP#
If you're referring to the gauze/filter in the middle of said assembly as the flametrap Joe then i agree, they don't. However, i've always known it as the entire fitting that the Americans call a nipple.

Now there are a lot of terminolgy differences between here and the USA - rocker panels in the US are sills here just for one example, as i think i said before when this came up in conversation on here, would it not be simpler for all concerned to say that turbo cars don't have the filter inside the flametrap? Or what are we going to call the "empty" plastic fitting?
Terminolgy can be a pain at times, especially on similar items and one or two words or even letters can make all the difference. I certainly don't want a bun-fight over this but i would like to come to some resolution so we all know what we're refrring to with the plastic three-legged fitting that has a filter/gauze inside on n/asp cars and is empty on turbos.

Open to suggestions!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 16:58   #58
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You are all wrong!

It is called "oily black rotund box of blockages and problems" very easy name to remember so I don't know where all of this confusion is coming from
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 17:01   #59
griston64
Premier Member

I would say it's simply a T piece. As it has nothing in it and therefore can't trap anything ?
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 17:04   #60
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You are all wrong!

It is called "oily black rotund box of blockages and problems" very easy name to remember so I don't know where all of this confusion is coming from
After tomorrow I will have a shiny clean box fitted Underneath my pipe and T piece