Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low mileage 24? for sale?

Views : 3136

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:33   #1
Rich K

Question Low mileage 24? for sale?

Hello all,
I'm posting here in the hope that some of the experts can give me a rough idea of what this car may be worth and whether there is much interest in it.

My Aunt & Uncle in Devon have decide to dispose of their Volvo car as they don't really use it anymore. Unfortunately, I do not know the precise model and spec. I have a copy of the V5, which says it has a 2316cc engine, and the chassis number is YV1244817F1142(xxx) if that helps someone decipher more detail.
Sadly I do not have any photos, and not much chance of getting any for the time being, which I know isn't much help.
It's a white 4 door saloon, built in 1985 and imported from Switzerland (when they retired to Devon)in June 1986. Despite being imported, it is RHD, as it was bought for the purpose of bringing to the UK. It is registered C3xx KFJ.
My father saw the car a few weeks ago, and says it is immaculate, and is pretty sure it has leather seats, though he omitted to note the model and spec (annoyingly). It had 46k miles on the clock, and has been garaged all it's life. Mot is due in June, and I think my Aunt wishes to sell it before then so she doesn't have to spend any money or time putting it through for a service and test.
Bacuase of it's low mileage and condition, it would be nice to sell to an owner who will appreciate that fact and care for/preserve it accordingly.
If anyone can suggest a potential value or outlet for this car, any help would be much appreciated.
From what I've read on here, I would think it must be worth £1000-1500, or am I wildly mistaken?
Thanks in advance, Rich K.
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:45   #2
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

If its a 1985 200 series, then its simply called a 240 (200 series, 4 cylinder, and on pre-1981 cars the last number designated how many doors it had i.e. 244 = saloon, 245 = estate, later cars just had a zero.)

If it has leather seats and and a 2.3l engine, it is almost certainly a GLE or GLT (Grande Luxe Executive/Tourer) GLT would have black trim in a lot of areas rather than chrome to make it more sporty and would have 5 spoke "virgo" alloy wheels (as can be seen in my signature)

It does sound like its in good nick, but a picture tells a thousand words....

In this "credid crunch" its probably not likely to sell for over £600 or £700, but if you can find an enthusiast that really wants it, and it really is "immaculate" then it could well go for more like £1200 or so....

Best bet is to post pics to confirm what model it is etc (Front/rear/side/interior/badges/engine bay).

Then we could give some more info and you could get it up for sale after a good wash/polish/vacuum etc

Hope that is of help. Steve.
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 16:37   #3
Memphis Twin
VOC Member

That will be a 240GLT. I think that these look superb in white, and if I didn't already have an immaculate 240GL, I would be on the next train to Devon, with a wallet full of £50s.

If it really is immaculate and low mileage, I would happily pay £1500. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten....

Chris.
Memphis Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 16:48   #4
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Could be a GLE though couldnt it?
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 22:00   #5
Memphis Twin
VOC Member

Possible...but GLEs generally were fitted with cloth upholstery, wheras GLTs were leather. I've had both.
Memphis Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 23:07   #6
Rich K

Thanks to both of you for your helpful information so far. I will try to get more information off my Aunt, but I very much doubt I can get any pics without going down there myself, which certainly won't be possible for a week or two at the earliest, I'm afraid.
Will post again when I have an update.

Thanks, Rich.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 18:12   #7
minesa240x3
loyalty

YV1
244=four door
81=B23A/B230A engine type
7=AW70/71 gearbox auto
F=1985
1=Sweden
xxxxxx=chassis No
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 20:28   #8
Lucien
VOC Member

Hello Rich

There's really only one way to find out what it's worth, and that's to pop it up for sale by auction on ebay. Classic car enthusiasts do seem to follow the items for sale there and I've seen some "soon to be classic" Volvos making very good money!

If your car turns out to be a GLT, please let me know when you're selling it as I might be tempted. Sending me a private message is best as it'll come through to my personal email.

Good luck with the car!

Kind regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 19:39   #9
Rich K

If your car turns out to be a GLT, please let me know when you're selling it as I might be tempted. Sending me a private message is best as it'll come through to my personal email.

Good luck with the car!

Kind regards
Lucien[/QUOTE]

Thanks to all for the advice, will let you know when I know more!
(And will pm Lucien if it is a GLT)

Regards, Richard
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich K For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2009, 19:46   #10
Rich K

Smile Pictures at last!

I got down to Devon the other week, to get some pictures and see the car myself. Its' just taken me some time to upload them etc.
The car started on the button (manual choke) and ran happily while I positioned it for some photos. Unfortunately it started to drizzle as I took them , so the light isn't great. It needs a good wash and polish, but would come up rather nice I think.
There is a sign of some minor rust under the bonnet (see pics), and a little similar around the grille holes under the back window.
Otherwise it is as you see it. It's automatic, if I hadn't mentioned that. I didn't take it for a drive, I should've I guess.

Hopefully the pics are in the link. I'll post this, and then see if I can get them ok.

Regards, Richard.