Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Using the USB port

Views : 20300

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2009, 13:57   #11
adsk

It is possible to get the dealer to retro-fit the USB socket for the princely sum of £346.50

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/All-Cars...ice%20List.pdf
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 14:49   #12
Kev_V70_MY2009_RD

Default All three!

I seem to have a usb, ipod jack and an autochanger. The latter proving to be a bit of a waste of money!
Kev_V70_MY2009_RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 16:37   #13
david.matthewson

Default Usb v70 t6

I've got a T6 with autochanger & USB, which works OK but....

The usb works well with a 2Gb stick but has problems with a portable hard disk. There is a limit of 65,000 files and 500 folders, and also seems to be a limit of about 250Gb as a partition size.

With a 250Gb hd and a few files it works fine but if I fully load the disk it takes about 3 mins to load, and starts playing at 'track 0' and whilst you can jump forward you can't jump folders.

So a word of warning - you must use FAT32 NOT NTFS - and I'd not be happy using hard disks... maybe Volvo will improve this with a firmware upgrade...

David
david.matthewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 09:17   #14
S80_V8

I've just got my S80 V8 - and love it! But I have the same situation with the USB drive as David above - although I'm using a microSDHC card in a USB adaptor not a hard drive, when I plug it in, it loads almost instantly (though there's only about 1gb of music on there) but it only gives me a track list - I can't see any folders to scroll through and select. I know the card is FAT formatted too. I can cope with it, it's not the end of the world, but as I really like to select an album to listen to, rather than randomising the list, it can be a real pain - and a lot of button pressing or knob-twiddling - to get to track 66, the start of Lostprophets for example! I've rummaged around the menus and handbook and can't find any way of selecting folders as per ADSK's post
S80_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 13:29   #15
Sanzomat

I'm using a 16gb sandisk cruzer stick with about 11gb of music on it. It reads everything fine and the folder structure is just like you would see it on the computer i.e. root folder called "music" then artists, then albums, then tracks. My only problem with this particular stick is that it came formated with some software for running applications direct from the stick and the car wouldn't read the stick at all whilst that was on it. I simply copied the contents of the stick onto a new folder on the PC, then formatted the stick FAT32 then copied all the music onto it and away you go. The "going back to "A" thing others have mentioned is a pain though and every time you take the stick out e.g. to put more music files on it, when you put it back in it goes back to the first track under A. Since I discovered you can scroll through the list using the tuning knob its much easier to get where you want though as this gets down the list much quicker than the down button on the joypad.
Sanzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 17:03   #16
KiwiRob

The problem I have and I'm surprised Volvo didn't do it is when changing folders you have to look at the centre consul, it would have been a great idea if they had made it so that you could see what you were doing on one of the LCD's in the instrument binacle, same deal with the phone, it shouldn't be that difficult to do.
KiwiRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 17:06   #17
S80_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanzomat View Post
I'm using a 16gb sandisk cruzer stick with about 11gb of music on it. It reads everything fine and the folder structure is just like you would see it on the computer i.e. root folder called "music" then artists, then albums, then tracks. ....
So where am I going wrong then??? shall i try reformatting and creating a "music" folder before transferring my albums over?
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 03:51   #18
Patrick lince

I was lost at the point I read the title of this thread "Using the USB Port" and as the (interesting) techno babble.............

Can I not just spec a V70 with a cassette player?
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 08:30   #19
S80_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick lince View Post
I was lost at the point I read the title of this thread "Using the USB Port" and as the (interesting) techno babble.............

Can I not just spec a V70 with a cassette player?
LOL I seem to remember my first volvo, an 850 SE, had a combined CD/Tape/Radio unit. but I can't find a picture of the interior at the moment so i've attached a happy memory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0188_1024.jpg (231.4 KB, 11 views)
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 19:11   #20
S80_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsk View Post
...To access the contents of the drive you press the MODE button on the audio control panel. You can then scroll through the contents by turning the tuning knob or using the up/down keys on the audio control....
Yay! Solved it! whilst trying to work this out I accidently pressed the Enter button and lo, it came up with the "Music" folder I'd created. Another stab on Enter and it brought up the list of folders in there, could scroll up and down and then Enter to access the folder and finally I could play some Lady GaGa (admittedly with no-one else in the car!!)