Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Purchasing a C70 T5......

Views : 969

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 16:35   #11
irishcarfan
Master Member

I drive a 98 C70 T5 which my father bought brand new. It's an early car, so unfortunately the build quality isn't great. Windows have fallen out etc. I notice in the car that you've shown that they've put the 'pins' in place on the rear quarterwindows, which hopefully should mean it won't leak. This was a recall item, which we actually didn't do because we didn't like how they looked (car only has 17,000 miles on it - never driven).

As others said - check all the electrics. Radio, electric aeriel can give up the ghost. The electric seats can stop working, so check them. A major thing is actually the doors and how they sit. Volvo only used their standard door hinges, despite the fact that the longer doors are heavier than normal, so they have a tendancy to sag. After a while, they don't fit right when closed leading to whistles etc. coming from the window frame even from say 40 mph on. This can be a right pain, and indeed, is what I hate most on the car.

Check for any noises on the steering at full lock. The turning circle is a joke, so make sure you're happy with it. I've gotten used to it, but my father refuses to drive the car full stop based on this..!

What else. We have the dolby which I was very excited about back in 98, but really it's nothing you'd miss - just a nice feature that's all.

The brakes. Check the pedal feel and consistency. Our brakes are awful and the pedal goes to the floor like an old jag, and has to be pumped up - at all times - not just on start. I've bled them and tried all sorts of things but Volvo have always told me they're fine. Trust me, I regularly drive six cars at the moment including 3 other Volvos - and they're not fine! I have driven other newer C70s though, and the brakes are ok - so just watch out for this.

What else.. As others said, I've seen some cars with absolutely HUGE mileage on them - no matter the variant. 160,000+ is not uncommon.

Seat wear. The leather wears terribly, especially around where the seat belt rubs. Okay, it happens in many cars, but it happens earlier in the C70 prob to do with the design more than the leather itself. Most cars still have factory-fresh rear seats as, despite being big and comfortable, it's a pain getting in the back if you have electric seats.

Battery life. Some cars eat batteries. Ours does and I make sure to start it every few days as any time being laid up and the battery goes flat. But even when it's in regualar service, the battery can still act up. It's been through a few of them. Again, this could just be our car, but I know others have had the same problem and the cause can be traced back to lights in the boot not going out when closed and thus sapping it dry. Just a point.

Anyway, despite these things, I think the C70 is a special car. Anytime I pull up in a petrol station, it always looks great. And I'd often be in the queue staring at the car - like everyone else. When I walk back to it, I feel a million bucks and can't wait to jump in and fly off.

Finally, I've lost count the amount of times that I've cried with laughter as at about 4000 rpm I've floored it and the car just takes off leaving everything. From about 60-80 mph, there are few cars that can touch it..! I think a C70 should have a T5 and only a T5. Best of luck.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 21:00   #12
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Brilliant post irishcarfan. Very informative. Many thanks mate.
Pointed out a few issues I haven't heard of i.e sagging doors.
Thanks again.
alexward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 01:36   #13
leec70

have had my c70 gt for a few years now has been the most reliable car i have ever had, only problem have had is the common volvo abs light! mine hasnt got the dolby speaker in the dash but does have a volvo fitted sat nav that folds up where the centre speaker would be. but, the stereo is phenominal for a standard system and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference between mine and a dolby system equiped c70 a friend has. auto box with the 2.3 is great to drive with it being smooth and quiet until you want to open it up and they just seem to pour on the power and torque endlessly!! am torn whether to keep it or not as i really need an estate.
the one you show does seem a little pricey so for that money have a good look it and make sure everything is perfect on it
leec70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:14   #14
alexward
C70 T5 GT Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by leec70 View Post
have had my c70 gt for a few years now has been the most reliable car i have ever had, only problem have had is the common volvo abs light! mine hasnt got the dolby speaker in the dash but does have a volvo fitted sat nav that folds up where the centre speaker would be. but, the stereo is phenominal for a standard system and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference between mine and a dolby system equiped c70 a friend has. auto box with the 2.3 is great to drive with it being smooth and quiet until you want to open it up and they just seem to pour on the power and torque endlessly!! am torn whether to keep it or not as i really need an estate.
the one you show does seem a little pricey so for that money have a good look it and make sure everything is perfect on it
Thanks Lee. It is a tad expensive, but I like the wheels and colour and its got all the toys. I won't pay the full asking price.
alexward is offline   Reply With Quote