Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power folding door mirrors fitted?

Views : 669

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 19:38   #1
Flyingbathtub

Default Power folding door mirrors fitted?

Hello, I am looking to purchase a 58 plate XC90 D5 S, which I believe is the base spec. It is essential that the door mirrors fold in with the push of a button due to narrow access. Was this an option on this model or a standard fitment? If so, where is the button? Thanks in advance for helping.
Flyingbathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 20:53   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, mine is an earlier model but the button on mine is beneath the temperature control unit in centre consol. It has a diagram of a wing mirror on it. There are spaces for many options in this panel such as dstc on/off, row 3 Aircon etc but if an option is not fitted them there is a blanking piece instead of a switch.

They do operate in and out with this button but if you fit something called a can bus extender they can be made to operate automatically. See other threads on this.

The mirrors have motors in them to retract and open them and hence associated harnesses inside the doors. I guess it would be easy to retrofit mirrors, but you will need the rest of the harnesses and potential reprogram. I had to replace my nearside mirror assembly and purchased the whole unit from a breaker. My replacement unit cost £170 if it helps.

Hopefully others can let you know more.

John l
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 21:17   #3
Flyingbathtub

Ok, I was thinking it would be a standard fitment on all models, it will probably be easier for me to look for a model with them already fitted rather than retrofit, many thanks for the info.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 01:05   #4
xco
Premier Member

Go for better spec if you can.

I've got MY08 SE LUX and they are standard fit on that (See Attached .....5th switch in from left))

volvo-xc90-estate-diesel_16701374[1].jpg
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 17:35   #5
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, probably the SE model for starts, but there are a host of other option that it might be worth chasing too. These depend on the value you (and family,) place on them.

For example premium sound, sub woofer, winter pack, black or beige seats, side steps, sunroof, rear seat entertainment, tinted rear windows, speed sensitive steering, Xeon lights. Note some are mutually exclusive such as sub woofer and row 3 Aircon. Later models have even more options.

I personally wold not place too much value on Volvo RSE as is very outdated these days, but heated seats are a godsend at the UK at the mo!

Start with at lease SE and you will have the power fold mirrors at least, but I would always go for good bodywork and interior, FSH and low mileage as paramount., That is if the budget allows.

Some more desirablevthan others and that is why they were options.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 21:52   #6
Flyingbathtub

Thanks for that, I didn't realise there were so many options. I have a budget of around £6000, so hopefully that will get me something in reasonable condition.
Prices seem to be all over the place, but reliability is important so I will definitely be looking for a good service history. I am not too worried about the odd dent, but obviously corrosion or other major body defects are a no no.
Any thoughts on whether I should be looking for a particular year onwards, or were early XC90's as equally well specced as later ones?
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 10:55   #7
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, for that budget I would be looking at post 2008 model but suggest not 'active' as in these budget models the seats tend to wear from what I hear.

The ''R' design or sport seems to be a good spec.

You also have choice of diesel or petrol. Petrol models seem to be lower mileage and there seems to be a few Japanese imports coming on the market with very good spec. These models have larger petrol engines ( 3.2) and an additional wing mirror at the front of the wing.

Note petrol models are far more thirsty, but there are 2.5 models which should be more reasonable. But on the other hand there is the very meaty V8. If I were younger I would lust after that.

But remember to keep at least 1000 back as you are bound to have niggles in the first few months but a warranty will help.

example:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F164010724068

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by john langrick; Jan 17th, 2020 at 11:04.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:44   #8
CondorXC90

My 2008 Sport SE cost £5999 in September 2019 and came with good history, in good condition, and a very decent dealer warranty which he stood by - the intercooler was replaced 2 months into ownership and the parking brake completely rebuilt. 12 months MOT, service and cam belt changed before sale. Car was around 130,000 miles at the time. Price was pretty good at the time as well.

Spec of the Sport is good and the leather trim / upholstery is lovely - the R-Design replaced the Sport model from 2009, I think. Mine has a sun roof, full size spare wheel, GSM car phone (which actually still works) and the upgraded sound system, and folding mirrors.

if you want RSE entertainment and more potential toys and options, look for an Executive, although they are still somewhat above that price range for good ones.

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 17:39   #9
binty

Thumbs up Full specs on the club site

Hi
Brochures with full prices and specs when new are on the club site,
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/xc9...iceListEd1.pdf
Looks like power fold mirrors were standard on SE and above, on the S they're a £200 option.
Seems they follow the same format for the alloy roof bars so that may be an easy way to check when looking at photos.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 23:07   #10
Flyingbathtub

Great, thanks for all the info, really useful and much appreciated 👍