Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 306340

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2012, 14:02   #91
fogster
V70 convert...!

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread - here are my thoughts :-)

I went to see a V70 that was for sale from an independent dealer - the dealer informed me the mileage was wrong on the odometer as he'd had to replace the dash (first time I'd heard about the dash fault) - and opened the boot to show me the original dash, sitting there. My point is the new dash worked perfectly in the car (albeit I concede I have no idea if the the car had been to a dealer for a software update since fitting).

I can understand the concept of coding parts via software to some common chassis number, the vast majority of parts that I'd expect to have 'value' on a stolen, broken car (wheels, seats, trim, most engine components, gearbox etc) would not be covered by this 'security' and hence I'm not sure there's much value to the customer in this coding, as sure a thief can't make quite so much money but his main income stream from parts is unaffected, and hence I can't see this stopping a thief stealing a Volvo (if he has the opportunity) where otherwise he would have. On top of this, this 'security' neither stops a thief from stealing a car nor breaking it and unscrupulously selling the bits. I'd don't think that most people wouldn't know about these 'incompatibilities' for used parts and would happily buy, fit (and apparently be able to mostly use, if the dash and other radio stories on here are anything to go by) parts to their car, only for the car to apparently have some sort of malfunction when it next visits the dealer - causing the individual caught out by the thief both the loss in money paid to the thief, and the cost of them fixing whatever the Volvo dealer computer apparently disables.

In summary, I don't perceive this to be security - it neither really seems to provide a dis-insentive to a thief not to steal a car and only harms the person who buys the part - logically some time later (during a dealing visit), and hence with little comeback on the person who stole and broke the 'stolen' donor vehicle.

Finally - UKTech raises a great point -I've searched these forums and cannot find a single post where anyone has said 'I've replaced by xxx module, took it to the garage and now they disabled my car!' - or anything similar. Looking at the breadth of posts and accumulated wisdom on these forums, it's a little hard to believe that not one person has ever done this and come here to ask for advice. I'm not saying that this is urban myth, but I can't find any evidence of any post anywhere to back this up - on this site or anywhere else. I know it sounds a bit far-fetched to believe that such an urban myth could exist and be propagated but, before you flame me - consider this. You know when you go into a petrol station and they have notices telling you 'No mobile phones'? If you look, most petrol stations in the UK have them but some (I think Shell?) are no longer putting those up. Why? It is a total, utter myth that gained some momentum in the early nineties and spiralled out of control and only now is that being acknowledged. It fooled everyone - the whole petroleum industry. You may as well say 'don't scratch your head'! There has not ever been a single confirmed cause of a mobile phone ever causing a fire at a petrol station. To back up my statement, take a look here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4366337.stm or here [http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...08-102bm.html] for example. Now try finding a link anywhere that states a fire was caused by a mobile - there aren't any (not that I can find)! You'll find some goofy YouTube videos but all are hoaxes (nothing more the viral videos) - you'll find no reliable source at all!

And so to UKTech's point... I absolutely understand that there could be issues using parts coded from one car and moving them to another - but I don't think this is due to security and, as to the severity of the impact those issues cause, where are the posts from people saying they've done exactly this, asking for help or advice? On the current evidence it seems incompatibilities may well happen (e.g. steering wheel buttons not working on radio swaps) but whether or not a subsequent visit to the dealer somehow disables part of (or the whole) car seems unlikely, given the lack of posts asking for advice following such an event.

I absolutely do not want to say 'I'm right' when I'm wrong for fear of damaging both my own car in future, or other people reading the points I've raised, being swayed by my thoughts and then doing something to damage their car. I'm just asking someone on here to either say 'this happened to me' or 'I was working on a customer's car last week where the customer had swapped xxx from a donor car and now we've had to do yyy to fix it'! :-)

Last edited by fogster; Dec 13th, 2012 at 14:16.
fogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 00:50   #92
spokoluzik
Trader

Have silly question. Did you buy this car???
By the way is a bit complicated to use parts from one vehicle in another, but from my experience possible.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spokoluzik For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 12:53   #93
fogster
V70 convert...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokoluzik View Post
Have silly question. Did you buy this car???
By the way is a bit complicated to use parts from one vehicle in another, but from my experience possible.
Not a silly question :-)

No, we decided against it and instead bought a 2002 171k mile D5 SE :-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:52   #94
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Wow fogster. We had a similar issue on the Saab Tech forum about alarms and people saying not possible but no one could say it happened to them. In fact something that all said couldn't be fixed was fixed by someone and they posted up how they'd done it. Myth then disappeared....................

When I was talking to my main dealer about RICA tuning they just said 'if you bring the car in just make sure we know you've had the tune done so we can input into VIDA or it will not install any updates....' which is quite interesting. That to me says they can change things just like the Saab TechII system could.

Well lets see what happens when my car arrives which is a 54 Reg V70 D5 Geartronic.
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norfolk Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:00   #95
fogster
V70 convert...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk Jim View Post
Wow fogster. We had a similar issue on the Saab Tech forum about alarms and people saying not possible but no one could say it happened to them. In fact something that all said couldn't be fixed was fixed by someone and they posted up how they'd done it. Myth then disappeared....................

...Well lets see what happens when my car arrives which is a 54 Reg V70 D5 Geartronic.
Hi Jim,

Do keep us informed of progress - I'd love to find out one way or another exactly how bad the problem is. I note that the previous poster hints that, whilst it may be tricky, it can be done (at least in some circumstances).

Good luck! :-)

Steve
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:17   #96
fogster
V70 convert...!

Just a quick update - here's something on another site that suggested a DDM swap-out worked fine (as that's what I'm considering). The OP then posted again at a later date to redirect another user asking a similar question to the post - it appears he gets his car serviced (and hence software updated) and hence it seems that swapping the DDM in this instance may have worked without issue...

OP:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=23510

Follow up post:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=26624

Just more examples of people having swapped bits without any mention of it hosing their Volvo...! :-)
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 09:26   #97
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

This is very interesting. Yesterday when speaking to main dealer I mentioned this and he said it was news to him! He said there's nothing on VIDA that would shut down the electric on the car itself.

The system checks how up to date all the software is and looks for any upgrades and asks if they can be updated.

He also told me the system works like the Saab TechII system (he worked on Saabs for 12 years before Volvo). You can fit used radio's as system can divorce from other car if you have a VIN and marry to new car. He suspects the steering wheel and lights issue are because this hasn't been done. It would answer the reason why some of the members have been able to fit them without problems.

He said Volvo doesn't have the right to effectively shut down a customers car. They can inform them it will be reported to the necessary body but they can't just do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norfolk Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 00:35   #98
Diymanic

My two pennies..... If I drive it into to Volvo, with something they don't like fitted, and they do something to it so I can't drive it away..... They are liable simple as that.
I can understand swapping stereos around may cause some issues but that can happen on any car....but probably will be fine.
fogster, you get my vote!
UKtech, you too!
As far as I can see no one has responded to UKtech's challenge? Why is this well... on other sites closer to my own personal field of expertise (electronics tech for nigh on 30 years) I see people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about, but they don't, they just repeat things they hear as if it’s their own knowledge, they have no substance to back up what they say.... but they heard such and such say this and that...
So to recap.... no response to UKtech...... and that was a while ago!
Diymanic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diymanic For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 15:26   #99
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

I had a chat with the Volvo Technician I used at the weekend and mentioned this to him and he said 'Oh not that old chestnut again....' He laughed and said it's not possible. The only way the Volvo could be shut down is if an idiot was playing with VIDA and DICE and had no idea what they were doing.

He said Volvo aren't interested if you've swapped radio's etc and if as we said they are divorced from old car they should work ok in new car and may just need 'tweaking/re-coding' to ensure all things work correct.

Interestingly as far as he knew the car itself is not linked into Sweden but purely to your dealers system which has all the up to date software on it. All that does is checks it against what your own vehicle has already installed and tells you what's available if you want to pay for it to be installed.

This is what I was told at dealers when I booked mine in for TCM software update. he explained to me it was not possible to know what my TCM currently was and will only know if the car accepts the new downloaded stuff. If it already has it or is not compatible it simply will not download it to the car.

It simply will not allow anything to download to the car that is either already installed or is not compatible. It will not overwrite stuff - I think this answers the question really - the car cannot and will not be locked down by Volvo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norfolk Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 09:52   #100
Stekelly

So have we reached a conclusion that things can indeed be swapped? Before reading this thread I picked up a few bits cheap that I wanted to use to upgrade my interior thinking it would be a simple swap like in other cars ive had. I have the climate control panel ( when I install it theres a couple of bulbs gone and it doesnt dim with thd rest of the dash when I roll the dimmer. Most of it works fine but it doesnt switch off with the rest of the intsruments when the key is taken out so the lights stay on it and it stays running if it was on) , as well as the centre speaker and amp with the intention of picking up a hu-801. Should I quit while im behind?

Mines an s80

Last edited by Stekelly; Jun 30th, 2013 at 09:54.
Stekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stekelly For This Useful Post: