Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 - Wheels for Winter

Views : 1346

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 19:03   #11
TeamG
Master Member

Take a wheel off and look at the code on the back. Not only is the diameter important, but also the width, the stud layout and the offset. There will be a code like in the photo attached starting 7.5JX17…

I’m selling this set of wheels that fit an XC60 - check the codes on yours, they may be a match too.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 21:13   #12
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37 View Post
I h ave had numerous Volvos and even some other makes over the past sixty plus years and never had any trouble with the tyres in Winter , usually Pirelli ones without ever giving any thought to the tyres other than running at a couple of pounds less tyre pressure. In my opinion its just another ploy to part the Motorist from the contents of their wallet.

08 xc70 D5 SeLux Geartronic 208600miles
Interesting views. You should watch a few Tyre Reviews videos on the subject.

Winter / all season tyres vs summer tyres / budgets on snow... stopping distance differences are simply mind blowing.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 12:21   #13
apersson850
Premier Member

Here in Sweden nothing but real winter tyres are worth considering. Our two XC70 runs on 235/55 17" or 235/50 18" in the summer. They both get 215/65 16" in the winter. That was the standard dimension on the simplest spec XC70 back then.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 13:59   #14
Turbodave
VOC Member

Mine, an 08 D5 AWD... had Scorpions when I bought it and all were around 6mm give or take and they weren't that impressive. They were fine through the initial summer months as you'd expect but were unsettled by sudden wet roads and by the time the temperatures started dropping, they just seemed a bit vague on the road. They were also pretty poor on wet fields / mud.

I took them off at 4mm and changed to tried and tested Vredestein Quatrac Pro and granted yes, brand new tyres and more "winter" biased meant they car is slightly less sharp in the dry but they were significantly better in the wet and also did't give any issues through you're average cold, wet, snowy Scottish winter. They're also wearing incredibly well too, still sat around 5.5mm even after ~10k miles which I'm surprised at given the weight of the thing.

I've never really seen the benefit of going full winter, I think the drop off in dry performance doesn't outweigh any gains for proper winter driving over a decent all season. And I don't use "summer" UHP tyres as again, they may be better on dry, clean roads but it's an XC70 and spends quite a lot of time being taken away from warm, dry tarmac so an all season does covers most bases well... plus as has been said, an AWD Volvo on all season tyres, if it get's beaten by winter weather with that combo then not sure I'd be happy to venture out the house!

The new Quatracs appeal... they seem much improved in the wet and given I'm sat here and it's about 6degs and raining, thus the roads are cold and very wet (pretty much like they are 26 months of the year up here) then something more wet / cold weather biased appeals. But as always, many variables depending on your own needs etc... and I know some people run uber spec summer tyres on an XC70, but to me that's like putting running shoes on an elephant.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote