Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 54775

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2021, 01:28   #161
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkirkland View Post
With my Dyslexia I attempted to read 16 pages, but

Last year I filled with 5w-30 Edge Oil. I drive a 2004 XC90 with a mere 173k on the clock.

I guess I’m right in thinking 5w-30 is an ok oil for my age of XC90 in the British Climate. Going by the graph I could even go for 5w-40 as long as its complying with the Grade.
5w30 is perfectly adequate for the UK climate... I’d stick with that. There’s no need to change to another viscosity really, but you could use 5w40 if you really wanted to.

Personally, I’d stick with 5w30 though. Just make sure whichever oil you buy is the correct spec, such as A5/B5 for example. Check your owners manual to find out the right spec for your vehicle & use that.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 20th, 2021 at 01:33.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2021, 09:58   #162
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
With my Dyslexia I attempted to read 16 pages, but

Last year I filled with 5w-30 Edge Oil. I drive a 2004 XC90 with a mere 173k on the clock.

I guess I’m right in thinking 5w-30 is an ok oil for my age of XC90 in the British Climate. Going by the graph I could even go for 5w-40 as long as its complying with the Grade.
No , the correct volvo specification in UK is 0w/30 A5/B5 since the D5 was introduced in 2002. this is to comply with fuel consumption and emission regulations ... it will give better fuel consumption than 5w/30 Hand book specifications are way out of date ...
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:52   #163
tomkirkland
2004 XC90

Whys it have to be so complicated.

Doesn't help that the industry changed it's grading to really screw with you

I take it that if I went to Volvo Parts desk, gave them my Reg and said I'd like oil please, they supply me with 0w-30 which is Castrol Edge A5/B5 in a different bottle?

I've checked on the well known oil manufactures sites, 2 say 0w-30, and the 3rd (Shell) says Helix HX5 15w-40

I can't say I've noticed a different in economy in my XC90, it's poor at the best of times, 34mpg average is it's best on a long run. I haven't burnt as much, in fact in 12 months I've not had to top up.

Only added 5w-30 as I did see an older post from Clan on the Jun 19th, 2016, that says to quote:

Quote:
volvo have never recommended 5w/40

on the pre 2005 models with 12000 mile service intervals it was 5w/30 and on volvos oil chart is does say do not use 5w/40 for what ever reason .

the 0w/30 came along with the change to 18000 service intervals ...long life oil .
Was I right or wrong after reading on I don't know

I guess if I buy this bottle with A5/B5 written on it, then i'll be safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 325289.jpg (80.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by tomkirkland; May 20th, 2021 at 11:06.
tomkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 16:23   #164
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

I take it that if I went to Volvo Parts desk, gave them my Reg and said I'd like oil please, they supply me with 0w-30 which is Castrol Edge A5/B5 in a different bottle?

I've checked on the well known oil manufactures sites, 2 say 0w-30, and the 3rd (Shell) says Helix HX5 15w-40

I can't say I've noticed a different in economy in my XC90, it's poor at the best of times, 34mpg average is it's best on a long run. I haven't burnt as much, in fact in 12 months I've not had to top up.

Only added 5w-30 as I did see an older post from Clan on the Jun 19th, 2016, that says to quote:

I’ve used 5w30 A5/B5 for ages... its fine for UK climate.

I haven’t noticed a difference in fuel economy by using it instead of 0w30 either.
Old May 20th, 2021, 17:15   #165
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:

Dunno Tom, don't Volvo say to use oil from blue bottles only?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 14:48   #166
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Dunno Tom, don't Volvo say to use oil from blue bottles only?
A strange thing for an insect to excrete....
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 14:58   #167
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
A strange thing for an insect to excrete....
It's where you have to get it these days, at least since the unicorns stopped crying.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:15   #168
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I use 0-W30 as it’s what Volvo specifies.
It's one of those that Volvo specify on that year and model...
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 18:57   #169
lynns hubby
Master Member

For what its worth, I just type a search for Genuine Volvo service kits at the well known auction site. I have always found genuine Volvo dealers out there trying to out do each other price wise. Just give em your reg and they will come back with a price which I have always found favourable to my local factors where I have an account and get a good discount.
At least you can sleep easy knowing that the oil is what Volvo recommend.
I know its got Volvo on the container and appreciate they don't "make" oil but it keeps me happy knowing its what they want me to put in.
Last service, kept a note of the part numbers for the 1 Ltr bottle and the 4Ltr bottle so will try a search on google that way next time to see what that brings.

I know its all very confusing and people get different info which they have to decide on what to do.
I went through exactly this to start with when we bought our XC70 so searched Genuine on line and was surprised at the deals out there.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 14:13   #170
darroch

Well the debate was informative. I have low miles (40k) xc60 with the 2.4 diesel. My miles will be 7k a year. I plumped for the Mobil 3000 x1 FE 5w30 and will change every 12 months.
darroch is offline   Reply With Quote