Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85759

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 13:47   #241
blueosprey90
Master Member

I have removed the passenger door for a new door card, new window felts, new seals and a general refurbishment.

The interior bottom of the door and maybe three inches up has more rust than I would have liked. Attacked it last night with a wire brush and a phosphoric acid rust converter and it looks better. Plan is to spray the bottom section with Eastwood’s interior frame rail paint with the hope that it will seep down into where the door skin folds over and spray the other treated rusty areas of the interior door with Eastwood’s rust encapsulator paint.

Door card is all measured out and ready for drilling the holes for the door panel clips.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 10:59   #242
blueosprey90
Master Member

Almost finished with the passenger door. Exterior touch up paint not entirely satisfactory as paint not a good match. I think the car had been repainted previously so the color is off.

Added a new rear view mirror that should aid in backing up as well as on the highway.

The main door surround seal is shaped like a K, with a smaller upper arm and a longer lower arm. I sliced off the upper arm of the K and it allowed the door to close with a firm pull.

Window mechanism creaks. I think I decided to apply some grease. Still need to add chrome to the door card and install.
Old Jun 27th, 2021, 14:01   #243
blueosprey90
Master Member

Putzing along in the Volvo last month.

https://youtu.be/9XQsbM5-KDc
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 00:58   #244
blueosprey90
Master Member

The car has been sitting in storage since late May or early June. But there is a CT MG Club drive tomorrow, so I decided to get her out.

I got the car started easily and let it run for 6 or 7 minutes. When I moved it, I noticed a fair amount of fuel on the floor, but thought little of it. Usually, after sitting for a long time, my fuel pump leaks until the gasket swells up a bit. So I drove the car home, but then noticed that I had a good leak at the rear carburetor, dripping onto the exhaust manifold. It took quite a bit of fettling, but I finally got the carb leak resolved.

My turn signals, however, are only working intermittently. I think there is a brass colored relay way up under the dash - sort of the size of an old film canister. Will be really difficult to get at.

Does the turn signal relay for the PV444 tend to fail?
And how to test?

Or is it more likely a problem with my turn signal stalk in the steering wheel?
And how to test this as well?

Anyway, will plan to take out tomorrow. After that drive, I'll probably change the oil and get ready for winter. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy new tires as the ones on the car are 18 or 19 years old.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 13:41   #245
blueosprey90
Master Member

Went out to the garage last night.

Turn signals: The turn signals had stopped working. Somewhat difficult to sort, but it turned out to be a bad connection at the “fuse box”. Got out some 60 year old electrical contact cleaner elixir taken from my dead father-in-law’s garage and cleaned up the connections. Now working fine.

I did pull the turn signal relay. It was a simple device with just two connectors, one being the power wire from the fuse box.

Horn had also stopped working, but traced to the connector at the bottom of the steering column that had come loose.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 03:10   #246
blueosprey90
Master Member

Changed the oil and had in mind to change the brake fluid, but was unable to remove the cover on the master cylinder. Will need to develop a plan.

Also thought I would change the headlights, but the Halogens that I thought I had were not Halogens.

Put the car back into "temporary" storage.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 03:00   #247
blueosprey90
Master Member

Our attempt to party with the VSCCA at West Point Military Academy ended in a fail. Pulled off the highway to gas up. When I sat back in the car, heard a loud bang of unknown etiology. Went to start. Starter seemed to spin, but not turn the motor. What with the loud bang, I thought we broke the crankshaft or maybe transmission input shaft, as we had been pushing hard at about 65 mph. But hours later on getting home, the starter doesn’t spin the flywheel, so maybe just a starter problem and not fatal to the engine.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 09:12   #248
Army
marches on his stomach

Let us all hope for the cheapest possibility
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 01:26   #249
blueosprey90
Master Member

I went through my spare parts and found two starters. One is presumed to be good – according to an uninformed note to myself. One had been pulled from the car for unknown reasons and is presumed to have failed.

I also found an extra flywheel.

I’m wondering if the starter operates like a high torque starter, where the starter gear is engaged to the flywheel ring gear at all times – as opposed to the bendix style where the starter gear flies out and retracts as you apply and then cut power.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 20:39   #250
Derek UK
VOC Member

The solenoid on top pushes the gear into the flywheel teeth when you turn the key and activate it. Bench test the starter before putting it in. Pop it in a vice and add juice.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: