Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803706

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 14:00   #1111
iow240

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Good car? Overpriced?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1391168
iow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iow240 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 14:36   #1112
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iow240 View Post

Compared with some no! One in Northamptonshire is two and a half grand more but it's been there for ever.

What will 5 k buy you , a 3 year old Piccanto?

Difficult one to call, it looks nice enough.

A friend of says this very often," here's five thousand, go and find me one!"

In short , I don't know.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 14:50   #1113
iow240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Compared with some no! One in Northamptonshire is two and a half grand more but it's been there for ever.

In short , I don't know.
I equally don't know, part of me think it seems an ok price.

Funny you should mention that as I bought a 5 year old Aygo earlier in the year, its a great car but just not for me, I have a £5k for something and thinking of a 240
iow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iow240 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 15:13   #1114
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

It probably is a good car but judging by the number plate and low mileage, it's spent most of its life in London doing city miles so i'd expect a worn engine. Chances are it was only ever serviced every 6k which on the face of it sounds good - doing all urban motoring that's very bad, should have had oil/filter changes every 2-3k doing that as a minimum.

On the upside, the MoT history is exceptionally good, just the occasional bulb or wiper balde from the look of it. The downside is it's a B200E under the bonnet. Underpowered, overthirsty, prone to piston slap on #4 pot, will struggle to do much more than town work and then it will be £OUCH at the petrol pumps.

When i saw the K-Jet injection under the bonnet i hoped it was a B230E, that extra 330cc makes a world of difference!

Approach with caution, take for an extended test drive, check for blue smoke on the over-run and a big cloud of it if you blip the throttle whilst on the over-run, check for a light knocking going up hills in a higher gear (piston slap and/or little ends) and other signs of engine wear.

If all is good and you can live with the lack-lustre performance then on the face of it, a good car. Also bear in mind the sellers location near Brighton - it may have suffered the "sea breeze effect" and been owned by what i cal a "polisher" - polishes the bodywork and interior to a high standard but never checks underneath for any signs of corrosion. While the MoT history is currently clear of any signs of corrosion, it may have started but not been worth noting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 15:18   #1115
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

It looks like a clean and tidy motor car, and the owner says it has a good history. £5,250 is a bit above the price guide:
As a guide I'd say (from what I've seen things apparently sell for - not ridiculous asking prices):

a. Rough cars (anything with barn find in the title, cars needing welding to the sills or rear arches, MoT failures): make less than £1000.

b. Middling cars: 1981 and later cars with 100-200,000 miles, a bit of history (maybe the past decade, the stuff before that is just for interest), a long MoT and no obvious welding or repairs needed: make £1,500 to £3,000.

c. Very good cars: 1981 and later cars with less than 100,000 miles, full history, long MoT and in really good condition make £3,000 to £4,500.

d. Historic cars (1980 and older) will generally make 50-100% more than the above categories.

The above is just my observation of the market, it will not stop people hawking around rough cars for £3,000, mediocre cars for £6,000 or very good cars for silly money. I don't think they often achieve their asking prices and just spend months or years on the market until the owners give up.
... but not by much. I suppose it depends how much a buyer needs a 30 year old motor car, that is all. It is a long way from being an historic vehicle, and it would be a bit of a pity to use it as a daily driver (it wouldn't be very good at that either: too heavy and thirsty by today's standards), so that really leaves weekend use. I really like 240s but I'm not sure I'd pay £5k for a not particularly special 30 year old one if I wanted a weekender - I'd probably get a pretty good MX5 and have a lot more fun.

So: it depends on the buyer's wants and needs, the motor car isn't a bargain, but neither is it overpriced my much.

Alan

PS. It is a pity the seller cannot spell ('brakes' or 'hoses') - that always detracts from an otherwise good advertisement.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 11th, 2021 at 15:58.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 18:45   #1116
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

In short , I don't know.
... compared with this motor car it is positively cheap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403174450...53.m1438.l2649

... we have seen and commented on this one previously. It has been laid up for more than a decade, is a non-runner and doesn't even have a current registration (sounds like it was scrapped years ago so it would have to be re-applied for), yet the joker selling it is asking for £5,000 (I think he/she must have got the decimal point in the wrong place - there is no chance of it making a grand in its current state).

Que sera, sera... :-)
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 18:53   #1117
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

... we have seen and commented on this one previously. It has been laid up for more than a decade, is a non-runner and doesn't even have a current registration (sounds like it was scrapped years ago so it would have to be re-applied for), yet the joker selling it is asking for £5,000 (I think he/she must have got the decimal point in the wrong place - there is no chance of it making a grand in its current state).

He's after someone very different, a very rude word indeed!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 20:25   #1118
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I think that's worth all of five thousand................... pence!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 21:18   #1119
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Well, I don't know whether to be surprised or congratulate myself for calling this one just about right: there were no more offers on that red estate since bidding stalled at £5,101 (on 1 October). The motor car didn't reach its reserve, so we may see it again.

There was a lot of bidding activity early on, and the higher bidders had quite low eBay scores, so I wonder whether the dealer was up to a little bit of shill bidding that backfired by scaring everyone off with a week of the auction still to go.

Que sera, sara.

Alan
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see, young man, what he does now.

As I've said, he's a top dollar merchant looking for the right mug!
... so this is what he has decided to do next:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234230897...4AAOSwNUBhVFxk

... try exactly the same thing again and hope for a different outcome. The seller still claims the motor car is 'simply the best', is running another 10 day auction with a £1000 start and a reserve. Often there is a bit of auction fatigue when folk become too bored to bid... that may happen this time.

:-)
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 13:16   #1120
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... so this is what he has decided to do next:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234230897...4AAOSwNUBhVFxk

... try exactly the same thing again and hope for a different outcome. The seller still claims the motor car is 'simply the best', is running another 10 day auction with a £1000 start and a reserve. Often there is a bit of auction fatigue when folk become too bored to bid... that may happen this time.

:-)
I'm wondering whether we are seeing the same pattern of shill bidding as in the first auction. In that one the bid price leapt up to over £5,000 in the first 2 days, but then it stalled and went no further. The bidding ws pushed along by a bidder with a low eBay score. The same would seem to be happening now - bidding is over £3,000 on only the second day - and again the bidding being pushed by someone with a low eBay score.

Groundhog day?

Alan