Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RICA 280 vs. 304

Views : 9747

Replies : 150

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:15   #31
adieu
Master Member

Default RE: RICA 280 vs. 304

So Rica's figures are based on new cars only? If this is the case how did they get hold of a brand new T5R made in 1996?

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:45   #32
hamish

Ian,

In 1996 !

Regards,
Hamish.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:13   #33
sholtby
Premier Member

Until we see proof otherwise expect see 260 to 270 bhp from a chip alone and about 35 bhp more than this if you fit a 19T+custom chip which ever tuning firm you opt for.

Simon
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:26   #34
volvotuning

I do actually have such proof. Question is, will anyone believe it? We shall see!

Adam.

ps. You'll have to wait til next week for this.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:26   #35
don kalmar union
Trader

I would agree with that: arround 40bhp increase on the very earliest cars provided that they are in good order from the original 220bhp. Stonking mid range torque being more important than any top end power bouncing off the rev. limiter.

The best that we have seen on the later cars is about your figure hovering arround the 300 mark, but having bigger turbo, injectors, downpipe etc. depending with which particular later car you are starting.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME software for serious Volvo Tuning.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:28   #36
Shestica

Don can you answer my question please from the first page.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:01   #37
sholtby
Premier Member

There is no question that a chipped car feels a lot faster than standard but this is mostly due to the big increase in mid range torque not a huge increase in high rpm power.
It will be interesting to see how Adam can prove the 305 bhp Rica claim on a standard T5 with a 15g or 16t turbo when dyno plots from cars with a 19t often only just beat this figure, even on Adams dyno.
Tuning products for cars always quote over optomistic figures. Its wrong that they do this really. Its like buying a pint in the pub and getting a half. What you need to do is consider if the money you have spent was worth it for the half pint. I'm delighted with what has been done to my car and most Rica customers are.
If another firm is charging for and giving you half a pint then it is unfair on them though.

Simon
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:21   #38
volvotuning

>There is no question that a chipped car feels a lot faster
>than standard but this is mostly due to the big increase in
>mid range torque not a huge increase in high rpm power.
>It will be interesting to see how Adam can prove the 305 bhp
>Rica claim on a standard T5 with a 15g or 16t turbo when dyno
>plots from cars with a 19t often only just beat this figure,
>even on Adams dyno.
>Tuning products for cars always quote over optomistic figures.
>Its wrong that they do this really. Its like buying a pint in
>the pub and getting a half. What you need to do is consider if
>the money you have spent was worth it for the half pint. I'm
>delighted with what has been done to my car and most Rica
>customers are.
>If another firm is charging for and giving you half a pint
>then it is unfair on them though.
>
>Simon
>

In fairness Simon, that's not the case. The particular product in question always happens to be the 304 RICA upgrade for the 850 turbo. That is why I feel that Don's comments about ourselves, our customers, and RICA, implying that all are stupid, gullible and dishonest, is completely out of order and a very unprofessional comment to have made, let alone unsubstantiated.

We have a 280 bhp upgrade which no one seems to dispute, so if people don't believe the 304 claims they can opt for the 280 option, which is better value for money than that offered by other competitors especially when you take into account the diagnostics and testing that accompanies this.

Your pint analogy is a good one. What if I poured you a pint into a glass that you supplied which had a hole in the side? I'm pouring you a pint but you don't get a pint to drink. Do you see what I mean? What's more, I would also tell you that you are unlikely to enjoy the full pint because your glass is not really up to hold it.

Adam.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:28   #39
volvotuning

>The best that we have seen on the later cars is about your
>figure hovering arround the 300 mark, but having bigger turbo,
>injectors, downpipe etc. depending with which particular later
>car you are starting.

Complete rubbish. If I get over 300 bhp at the wheels, you can rest assured that the power at the flywheel is substantially more than just "hovering around the 300 mark".

Adam.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:31   #40
adieu
Master Member

Adam,

When I first brought my car to you for it to be chipped you stated verbally to me that I WOULD SEE 300bhp, no mention of underlying problems with the car effecting this etc etc.

Do you remember because I do.

I believe that I was misled by your website and verbal comments made by you.

As for Rica being able to test on a T5R in 1995-96 when did the company start trading? And do you have proof that the upgrade WAS tested on a NEW car.

As for your website maybe a small line of text in bright RED and 20inchs tall saying "full 304bhp only on brand new car!!!!!" might help with your marketing and stop people questing your figures.

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Closed Thread