Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 / T5-R / R Differences, Costs & Maintenance

Views : 2055

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 22:09   #1
dahamsta

Default 850 T5 / T5-R / R Differences, Costs & Maintenance

Apologies if this is answered already, it's a tricky one to search on. I'm looking at one of these for my next car but I need to estimate maintenance and costs first.

First of all, was the R just the new name for the T5-R, or are there differences between them? And can someone tell me what's different on the T5-R/R models apart from the turbo (and the bumper)? I think the suspension is uprated too, and perhaps the brakes? Are the R parts much more expensive than the standard T5? How much of the performance versions are shared with the standard cars? I know the engine is 2.3 v 2.5, but are peripherals shared?

I know they're tyre-shredders if driven hard, but what else should I be aware of on an ongoing basis? Does the turbo need to be changed, and if so when? Does it have a timing chain or belt, and if the latter at what intervals should that be changed? And in general, how are Volvo on OEM parts, are they silly money or affordable? (BMW are surprisingly affordable on the more common stuff for older cars.)

Finally, what's considered high miles on one of these? They seem to be pretty bulletproof, but every car has a number used buyers tend to pass over, even with apparent good maintenance, so what's that number for T5s / Rs? Would there be much headroom on 150k?

Any other info ye can give me would be much appreciated. I'll have a look for buyers guides in the meantime. EDIT: Oops, there's a local one which answers a lot of my questions. Still, any other comments most welcome.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by dahamsta; Mar 30th, 2012 at 01:03.
dahamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 16:49   #2
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

There is a buyers guide in the articles section which answers most of your questions. Btw they are all 2.3 20v 5 cylinder engines. The 2.4 and 2.5 T5 and the different 2.5 R engine came on much later cars.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 17:22   #3
Axionknight
Premier Member

The T5-R was a limited edition run, available in three colours, Black, Green and Yellow. It was available with two gearboxes, a 5 speed manual and a 4 speed auto. Both had 240bhp, the auto slightly less torque due to the convertor.

Most of the standard maintenance parts, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, filters, oils/fluids are the same or very much so the same so the difference in cost with regards to servicing is negligable.

The 850R followed the T5-R, about twice as many were produced, in more colours including grey and red (and white, in some countries, but I;ve only ever known of one in the UK). These again came with a 5 speed manual gearbox or 4 speed auto, the manual had 250bhp thanks to a few engine mods, which included a bigger turbo, the auto retained 240bhp. The interiors are slightly different (one example: the T5-R seats are leather with alcantra bolsters, the 850R seats are alcantra with leather bolsters, which are larger). The alloys are also different, the T5-R came on 17 inch Titans, the 850R, 17 inch Volans.

Both cars were available as both saloons and estates. Cost wise, I saw an OK T5-R auto estate in green sell for £650 yesterday, needed a few paint bits and a service. But I've also seen good/very good examples go for over the £2000 mark. Expect to pay a premium for the yellow T5-R over the green and black ones, as they are generally rarer and more saught after.

A normal T5, cost wise, between £500-£1000 dependant on condition.

As for mileage, between 150 and 180 thousand miles seems about average, though hgher mileage models (200k +) are out there, it's a mixed bag, really.

Last edited by Axionknight; Mar 30th, 2012 at 17:24.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axionknight For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 17:23   #4
Axionknight
Premier Member

The T5-R and 850R also had lower suspension and a body kit that differs from the normal T5. The 850R also comes with some kind of differential that apparently helps traction a bit, but I'm not sure on the specifics.

Parts are generally very affordable, though I suggest you stick to official Volvo stuff, see the member named Rufe on here, he works for a main dealer and his prices are excellent for VOC, VCUK and T5D5 members.

Last edited by Axionknight; Mar 30th, 2012 at 17:28.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Axionknight For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 21:58   #5
dahamsta

Thanks all for the valuable info!
dahamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dahamsta For This Useful Post:

Tags
850r, costs, maintenance, t5-r