Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Amplified Stereo & Handfree Issue

Views : 1319

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 17:01   #11
Michaelw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
To me it's all too much of a coincidence that you installed something new and now there are problems with things that have worked fine for years.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you may have disturbed another connector on the radio wiring. There is a lead which feeds a low level signal from the radio to the under-seat amplifier.

Other than that I think you're looking at a faulty hands free kit.

The way to say for certain is to remove the hands free and the SOT lead, if all is well, plug the SOT lead in, but not with the hands free connected, just join the ISO speaker leads on the SOT lead to each other. Finally plug the hands free in again. With the cut-out issue you'll need to try each option for a couple of hours.
Thank you. I think what i may do is just connect the handsfree to a separate external speaker, rather than an existing one in the car. This may be a quicker option and similar to what i have had to do in the past with a Chrysler Voyager with an amplified system. Handsfree kits just don’t like amplified speaker systems

Thank you for all your help.

Michael.
Michaelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 09:30   #12
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelw View Post
Handsfree kits just don’t like amplified speaker systems
It shouldn't make any difference if the amplifier is built into the radio or in a separate box. When the hands free wants to use the speakers it uses relays to break the signal path and connects it's own amplifier to the speakers.

Connecting a separate speaker to the heads free would be interesting just to see if you still get noise?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 20:37   #13
Michaelw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
It shouldn't make any difference if the amplifier is built into the radio or in a separate box. When the hands free wants to use the speakers it uses relays to break the signal path and connects it's own amplifier to the speakers.

Connecting a separate speaker to the heads free would be interesting just to see if you still get noise?
I’ve had another play tonight. The issue definitely appears to be to do with the amplifier. The cutting out of the speakers only happens with the radio, the handsfree kit doesn’t give any sound quality issues. I removed the radio this evening and with the noise apparent from the speakers i disconnected the amp cable from the back of the radio and the interference stopped. This still allows for the sound to come out of the centre speaker, which again has no interference and the handsfree kit then works through all of the speakers and sounds perfect. It doesn’t cut off the radio when you use the handsfree as I haven’t fit a relay in to isolate it.

I’m going to try it like this tomorrow to see if the radio/speakers cut out again after 30 minutes. My gut feeling is that they (well the centre one) will be fine.

My guess would be that with everything connected the amplifier is getting a feed it shouldn’t be which is causing interference and causing the amp to get too hot and cut out, hence the speakers cutting out for short periods of time.

If i knew a good car audio place around here i would book it in as i’m Sure somebody that works on audio systems all the time will know exactly what it is.
Michaelw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amplifier, handsfree, s80, stereo