Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Full Sized Dipstick

Views : 6533

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 13:16   #11
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Some penetrating oil and an adjustable spanner would be my next move.

Paul.
I was thinking more of an engine hoist or in extremis... some C4..

Its really well stuck, although it does rotate slightly lol..

Will just have to go at it with more gusto, and hope the thing don't snap.

Again thanks for info..

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 16:16   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Sorry to resurrect, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Acting on information on this forum I ordered the kit of parts to replace my technicians dipstick with a full sized one.
The kit was.
Volvo part number.
985133 Bolt M7x20. £1.35
31316562 Dipstick. £23.80
31375301 Tube £23.80
30637865 O Ring. £2.70

All prices + VAT.

My D5 is a MY10 P3 of 175 bhp output.

Just above and to the right of the technicians dip stick there is a tapped boss, had I had an M7 tap I would of run it down the threads to clear the corrosion. As it's about the only size I do not have I cleared the hole with a small screwdriver, gave it a good squirt of wd40 to remove any muck and gently screwed the bolt in to clear the thread.

Removed technicians dipstick and noted oil level at 3/4 up the marked area.
Fit O ring to tube and fit into hole, there is a bracket on the tube which aligns with the M7 hole.
Fit M7 bolt and screw it up. An M10 3/8 drive socket and ratchet makes life easy. Fully tighten and fit the dipstick.

Note the new dipstick seems to of been recalibrated as the same oil level now reads as full on the new dipstick.

All told job took 3/4 of an hour, it's a bit of a fiddle as you are largely working by feel but can all be done from the top. Only bit to be cautious about is the sensor wires that pass close to the dipstick, take care not to damage them fitting the tube or tightening the bolt.

Hope this info of help to others.

Paul.
I’ve just bought the full size dip stick parts for our daughter’s XC70 but haven’t got around to fitting them yet.
Daft question possibly, but, the “O” ring supplied has a square cross section. Am I correct in presuming that it fits at the very bottom end of the tube, between the flared end and the shoulder as it doesn’t seem to serve any useful function if fitted anywhere else?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 19:19   #13
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I’ve just bought the full size dip stick parts for our daughter’s XC70 but haven’t got around to fitting them yet.
Daft question possibly, but, the “O” ring supplied has a square cross section. Am I correct in presuming that it fits at the very bottom end of the tube, between the flared end and the shoulder as it doesn’t seem to serve any useful function if fitted anywhere else?
From memory yes. Wether mine had a square or round cross section afraid I cannot remember. It's only function is to stop the oil leaking out the hole and it's not under preasure, just oil splash so provided it fills the gap somewhere I don't think it realy matters.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 19:58   #14
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Dip Stick installed. Test loading some images.

Daughter on holiday for a week and car dealer serviced the previous day so while she is away I was able to spend some time on it and try to install the full size dip stick.
Further comments to follow but also trying out instructions to upload images so here goes.

Well that should be the images uploaded but it's not what I expected.

The installation itself is very basic, but access is another matter. I thought that it would be a lot easier if I removed the air hose between the air filter and the turbo as it is the obstruction. However, I found that there is a branch of that hose which is fitted with a particular type of hose clip which appears to require a specific tool to loosen it. (hopefully there's an image of that clip uploaded above) I was unable to loosen that clip so struggled on.
I initially cleaned the threaded hole with WD40 as suggested by Paul and wound the bolt in and out.
The technician's dip stick was obstinate. One of the clips broke off. I eventually managed to pull it out by looping strong string through it's handle and heaving. The indicated oil level was only covering the ball on the bottom end. I reinserted the dip stick to check, same result. It was easier to remove the second time.
Having eventually managed to install the dipstick tube I checked the oil level indicated on the new dip stick. It was level with the "low" line. I didn't expect it to be level with the "full" mark but was surprised to see it so low.
The electronic indication on the dash display showed Full.

Edit: Well the images are there. I thought I had resized them all to 640 x 480 but I must have only managed that on the first one. Never mind.
I'll have to keep the instructions to hand as I don't think that I will be able to remember how to do this image upload process.

Last edited by Ian21401; Feb 14th, 2020 at 20:02.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 22:11   #15
CJL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Having eventually managed to install the dipstick tube I checked the oil level indicated on the new dip stick. It was level with the "low" line. I didn't expect it to be level with the "full" mark but was surprised to see it so low.
The electronic indication on the dash display showed Full.
Same with mine after dealer service, but the electronic dipstick was 1/2 way between min and max.

From what i can gather the dealer fills the engine with oil (5.5L i think), then calibrates the electronic dipstick to read full. This seem remarkably over reliant on them not making a mistake.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 19:17   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Testing my ability to upload images correctly/

Just a test in uploading images.

The technicians dip stick minus one of the clips.

The clip that I couldn't release.

Another image of the clip.

Let's see the result.

Edit: That looks better. Thanks Dave (Laird Scooby) for the "how to".

Another edit: Don’t know why post 14 now has the postimage not found panels in it.

Last edited by Ian21401; Feb 19th, 2020 at 21:03. Reason: Add the edit note. and the second edit note.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 09:27   #17
huron
Master Member

I open those type of clip with a pair of pliers pushing the ends together but I replace them with a proper Jibilee clip.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 11:32   #18
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huron View Post
I open those type of clip with a pair of pliers pushing the ends together but I replace them with a proper Jibilee clip.
Thanks Huron. I tried that with standard pliers but because of the restricted access I couldn’t get enough “squeeze”. I also tried with small “mole” wrench but again limited access defeated me. I decided that in the time it may take to remove the air hose I could probably manage to fit the dip stick tube so that’s what I did.

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 15:31   #19
JonnyA

i did mine this time last year, no need to undo hoses, just a bit fiddly to get too.
for info, these are the two dipsticks side by side.
on mine, the techstick was 'just' a (v hard) pull as it is only held in by the plastic clips that you see on each side of it. (one of which is broken off on Ian21401's image)
the fullstick tube just pushes in and is held in place via a bolt through the flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipsticks.jpg (114.3 KB, 70 views)
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonnyA For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 17:59   #20
Karl Bobs D5
2012 S60 D5 R Design

hi guys what volvo was it for ? i want to do the same on my s60 D5 2012
Karl Bobs D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl Bobs D5 For This Useful Post: