Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamps

Views : 1157

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2010, 23:28   #1
ratdog

Default Headlamps

I have two smashed headlights so thought I'd take the opportunity to get some a little brighter. Any ideas and where can I get them?
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 21:54   #2
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
I have two smashed headlights so thought I'd take the opportunity to get some a little brighter. Any ideas and where can I get them?
New ones will have better reflectors, other than that just put uprated bulbs in, they are standard bulbs (H4).

these ones are £60 each;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Only one side available.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 21:20   #3
tuner

Default 340 headlamps

first thing to do when you`ve bought some is remove the lens and paint the backing case black inside,then fit H4 dipping H.I.D kit very slight mod to bulb carrier ,but you`ve already got spares,done this on my sons 340 see 340 mad on 340 forum,superb lights we use/supply 6000k kits (have them in my v70 also )
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 17:42   #4
Chris_C
Gopher

Interesting, how did you fit self levellers to the 340 lamp housing?
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 21:12   #5
tuner

Hi,the law states that o.e fitted Hid`s must be fitted with levelling system and wash/wipe facility ,not so for retro fitting.just fit and make sure you get them adjusted by mot station no problems at all with my sons or mine,several mots later
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 22:01   #6
Chris_C
Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner View Post
Hi,the law states that o.e fitted Hid`s must be fitted with levelling system and wash/wipe facility ,not so for retro fitting.just fit and make sure you get them adjusted by mot station no problems at all with my sons or mine,several mots later
The DfT states very clearly otherwise

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

I'd love to fit HID's to my 300, but as well as the DfT stuff the MSA Motorsport regs for the stuff I do ban them. One day I'd like to see a legal solution to a modern car style lamp (my housemates Clio 182 thingy illuminates the world so much better) but I just dont see how that can be at the moment, so hence the driving lights on the front of my car.
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 19:39   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Retro-fits are rumoured to become an MOT failure under the 2012 regs...which is a PITA for me, as I have them fitted to my V70R (with 2003+ C70 crystal lights...they glare horribly with the standard lights). I do have Nivomat rear shocks, which counts as self-levelling, and have headlight wipers. The 2003+ C70 lights were available factory-fitted with HIDs, so that's an interesting one...and does satisfy the DFT's requirement.

On a practical level, I think you need to take a careful and honest look at the beam pattern you're generating. If they glare obnoxiously, it doesn't matter how much better you can see, you're a menace to other road users. If they're just "a bit bright", then I think it's ok. I get flashed perhaps once a week (and do ~30k miles a year), so mine can't be that bad...

As a rule of thumb, HIDs will glare pretty badly behind conventional "fluted" glass lenses, however the extend of the problem does depend on the design of the optics. For example, HIDs in standard 850 lights don't glare anything like as much as they do in phase one 70-series cars.

To answer the original poster, I would get the best condition (preferably new) headlights you can find. In good condition, 300 series headlights are pretty good. Sure, they're no match for projectors housing HIDs, but they're perfectly usable.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote