Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil in intercooler pipe?

Views : 7116

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:21   #1
RSF
Master Member

Default Oil in intercooler pipe?

Hi
Got a bit of oil in the intercooler pipe that goes around by the air box.
I was told not to worry but should I?
What's causing it and can I stop it?
Is it helping lubricate any thing?
Advice is always appreciated.
Thank's

T5 WANTED,CHEAP PROJECT WITH MOT
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 00:34   #2
saturnuranus
VOC Member

That'll be the turbo showing signs of wear. It's not really anything to worry about as every 850 turbo I've seen inside of has had oil in the inlet piping to varying degrees. The thing to watch for is smoke from the exhaust whilst under boost which will indicate perhaps more advanced wear to the seals within the turbo. Turbo rebuilds aren't particularly cheap, but you can have a go yourself by following dooby's guide, here. I did and it worked a treat. If you can't get someone to follow you try planting your foot whilst in front of someone else at night and look for the smoke in the headlights of the following vehicle. Just make sure it isn't a copper, they get funny about stuff like that
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 02:26   #3
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnuranus View Post
That'll be the turbo showing signs of wear. It's not really anything to worry about as every 850 turbo I've seen inside of has had oil in the inlet piping to varying degrees. The thing to watch for is smoke from the exhaust whilst under boost which will indicate perhaps more advanced wear to the seals within the turbo. Turbo rebuilds aren't particularly cheap, but you can have a go yourself by following dooby's guide, here. I did and it worked a treat. If you can't get someone to follow you try planting your foot whilst in front of someone else at night and look for the smoke in the headlights of the following vehicle. Just make sure it isn't a copper, they get funny about stuff like that
Thank's for that.
Get a little smoke when engine is cold and thats about it.
I have a spare turbo to go on it for just incaser's so might swap them and go for a rebuild.
If the rebuild kits are 50+ I well as just buy another turbo.
What did you pay for your turbo refurb kit?
Thanks

Old Aug 25th, 2009, 19:00   #4
saturnuranus
VOC Member

The kit I got was about 40 quid + a tenner for shipping from Japan, so yea around £50 is about right. If you've got a spare why not rebuild it and then put it on your car, then sell your old one for spares/repair to make back the cost of the rebuild kit? A new turbo won't be cheap and a second hand one is unlikely to be much better than what you already have. On the other hand if there is no smoke from the exhaust when you boot it, you're not really at the point of needing to rebuild yet imho. Try cleaning out your inlet hoses/pipes and see how quickly the oil returns. If it's built up gradually over the last 13 or 14 years I wouldn't worry about it.
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saturnuranus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:27   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Just to add to this a bit - the (Mitsubishi) turbo doesn't have any bearings as such - it sits and rotates on a thin film of oil, so its absolutely normal to find a small amount of oil in the intercooler piping.

I'd recommend removing the intercooler every other year and cleaning it out with some diesel. That'll help prevent any sludge building up inside the intercooler which will degrade its performance and thus engine performance. Its a relatively easy way to add 10bhp or so to a tired engine
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 17:19   #6
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnuranus View Post
The kit I got was about 40 quid + a tenner for shipping from Japan, so yea around £50 is about right. If you've got a spare why not rebuild it and then put it on your car, then sell your old one for spares/repair to make back the cost of the rebuild kit? A new turbo won't be cheap and a second hand one is unlikely to be much better than what you already have. On the other hand if there is no smoke from the exhaust when you boot it, you're not really at the point of needing to rebuild yet imho. Try cleaning out your inlet hoses/pipes and see how quickly the oil returns. If it's built up gradually over the last 13 or 14 years I wouldn't worry about it.
I was thinking that and then rebuilding the other turbo and keep it as a spare.

Give the car a good flooring and there is no smoke coming out of it,the time I noticed a bit must of been a cold day.
your right,50 quid and know you have a mint turbo,I may just rebuild this one,tbh I got a few problems at the minute and mot due so some things have to wait.

While your hear satu,as I know you know your T5s,how do I get to the rear engine mount top nut?not the mount that goes to the head,the other one in the centre,down by the turbo.
Thanks

Yea I will clean it out,got to change the radiator (one on route) so well as just do it,might have just built up as you say (I appreciate the no nonsense help)

Last edited by RSF; Aug 27th, 2009 at 17:28.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 17:24   #7
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Just to add to this a bit - the (Mitsubishi) turbo doesn't have any bearings as such - it sits and rotates on a thin film of oil, so its absolutely normal to find a small amount of oil in the intercooler piping.

I'd recommend removing the intercooler every other year and cleaning it out with some diesel. That'll help prevent any sludge building up inside the intercooler which will degrade its performance and thus engine performance. Its a relatively easy way to add 10bhp or so to a tired engine
Thanks for that.
Whats the best way to flush the intercooler?
Got to have it off and replace the radiator soon (bracket broke) so well as just do it while I have it off.

While were on the subject of intercooler and I'm going to be changing it,
Are alloy elbows worth going for as I was thinking of changing to reverse intercooler on it while I had it a part and seen that some people have used alloy piping where mines all plastic and tbh,quite flexy so could do with changing.
Thanks

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:18   #8
thebigv
Master Member

Most turbo cars have a little oil in the intercooler pipework, so long as its not swimming in it it'll be fine and is quite normal
thebigv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebigv For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 15:19   #9
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigv View Post
Most turbo cars have a little oil in the intercooler pipework, so long as its not swimming in it it'll be fine and is quite normal
Thanks for that,its only a little.
whats the best way to clean it out?

Old Aug 29th, 2009, 18:24   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

This oil doesnt come from the turbocharger at all , it comes from the breather , the breather is fed into the turbo inlet pipe from the air filter and gets sucked in and passed through the pipes to the engine .. There is an electric heater in the nipple where the hose goes into the inlet elbow pipe this is to heat the fumes and keep the oil as a gas , but on a cold day it will condense in the intercooler and get blown in as oil . Its not a big quantity . The 850 T5 has a 1 mm hole drilled in the bottom of the intercooler chamber to let any oil out . It was always slightly damp at the hole , it would be a good idea to do this , but its not a problem if you do nothing ...