Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Key Fob

Views : 1321

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2021, 14:52   #1
rp83

Default Car Key Fob

Afternoon one and all, hoping everyone is keeping safe!

For past couople of days, key fob is acting funny. Despite being mere a foot or two away, i can not lock and/or unlcock the car by pressing buttons on the fob. I have replaced the battery but still no joy! Keyless entry, by tapping on the inside of the door handle works fine just the buttons.

I wonder if anyone has faced this issue before?

R
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 14:54   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Have you tried with your spare key? Since you have a '17 plate, I assume you have one.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 14:57   #3
rp83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
Have you tried with your spare key? Since you have a '17 plate, I assume you have one.
Gracias

I have indeed, the sane issue but I onkly had brought one replacement battery so in case if the battery is dead on the other one, i wont know for sure
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 15:00   #4
Polestar Pete
Polestar

It's entirely possible that your replacement battery is duff. I'd buy a new battery and see if that fixes the problem before heading toward the more expensive route of taking it to Volvo.

Then again, the display in the car should really be informing you when the battery in the remote is getting low.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro

Last edited by Polestar Pete; Apr 12th, 2021 at 15:03.
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 15:10   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp83 View Post
Afternoon one and all, hoping everyone is keeping safe!

For past couople of days, key fob is acting funny. Despite being mere a foot or two away, i can not lock and/or unlcock the car by pressing buttons on the fob. I have replaced the battery but still no joy! Keyless entry, by tapping on the inside of the door handle works fine just the buttons.

I wonder if anyone has faced this issue before?

R
Seems as if you may have local interference from a home Wi-Fi etc ...
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 19:09   #6
rp83

Thanks everyone. It can’t be home Wi-fi etc as it happens away from home too. I will order another set of batteries to see if that addresses the issue but then again, there is no dashboard messages!
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 15:19   #7
daverey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
It's entirely possible that your replacement battery is duff. I'd buy a new battery and see if that fixes the problem before heading toward the more expensive route of taking it to Volvo.

Then again, the display in the car should really be informing you when the battery in the remote is getting low.
Or - and I don't mind admitting this as we're all friends - check that the batteries don't have any packaging left on them.

I bought some decent quality replacement batteries and couldn't get the fobs to work at all. Mentioned to a mate and he took a look at me, and seems that there was a sticky piece of clear protective film on one side of each battery, preventing contact with the points.

Once removed, lo and behold all worked perfectly. And I managed to save face by not having to take it to a dealer for them to tell me what a moron I was...
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 17:22   #8
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverey View Post
Or - and I don't mind admitting this as we're all friends - check that the batteries don't have any packaging left on them.

I bought some decent quality replacement batteries and couldn't get the fobs to work at all. Mentioned to a mate and he took a look at me, and seems that there was a sticky piece of clear protective film on one side of each battery, preventing contact with the points.

Once removed, lo and behold all worked perfectly. And I managed to save face by not having to take it to a dealer for them to tell me what a moron I was...
That is exactly the kind of thing I would do.
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 15:08   #9
rp83

Thanks everyone. New batteries tried and ensured the removal of plastic sticky thing and yet no joy. I’ve just called Volvo assistance who shall be here shortly and will see what s/he has to say. Weird thing is that it works sometime and not others. Right now, I’m about 2 ft away from the car and it won’t unlock it at all. I worry that if remote fails if the car may just go on immobilising mode I don’t know. Cars isn’t my subject so may be overthinking this but would rather stay safe as I’ve a hound child. I’ll report back what they’ve got to say - chances are they’ll get here and it will work perfect for the time they’re here ha!
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 10:31   #10
rp83

okay, so the car has been to the dealerahip for inspection following a visit from volvo assistance who calimed that someone may have potentially tried to gain access to the car with one of those doggy key boxes! He then went on to change the battery but no joy! Took it to the dealership and they wanted to change both key fobs and then the mechanic looked at the fob and gave it a bit of a clean with sterliser and ta daaa... In the end bit of a clean in and around battery slot and all sorted! Turned out it was battery after all