Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indicators not cancelling easily

Views : 430

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 21:04   #1
Craigneukbhoy

Default Indicators not cancelling easily

Driving my c30 2.0d tonight & seem to have developed a problem with the indicators not cancelling either when exiting a roundabout or even manually after changing lanes, etc. I've tried all sorts to cancel it whilst driving with no luck but noticed I can cancel them with a slight touch on the indicator stalk. They start & cancel ok on the hazard switch. Is it likely then to be a switch gear problem on the indicator stalk? And if it is, how easy/cheap is it to do at home?
Thanks in advance guys.
Craigneukbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 11:50   #2
Paddy94

Most likely the stalk is at fault. Had this happen on my S40, stalk had a mind of it's own.

Swapped it with a 'new' one from the breakers yard, worked a treat ever since.
Paddy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 14:25   #3
Craigneukbhoy

Is it an easy & quick fix?
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 14:32   #4
Craigneukbhoy

I've seen several on ebay for my model/year bug they seem to have varying part numbers. Will I have to remove the steering wheel cowling first to find out the relevant part number before ordering & fitting? Or is it a generic part number?
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 14:43   #5
Paddy94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigneukbhoy View Post
Is it an easy & quick fix?
Easy enough, yeah. Remove the 3 screws that hold the steering wheel cowling together, then pry apart with a trim tool. After that, it's just one screw holding the stalk in place.

I never went by part number when replacing mine, I just made sure the stalk I bought looked the same. Make sure if you have a trip computer, that you get a stalk that matches your car (READ button on the stalk end.)
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 14:47   #6
Paddy94

Quote:
I've seen several on ebay for my model/year bug they seem to have varying part numbers. Will I have to remove the steering wheel cowling first to find out the relevant part number before ordering & fitting? Or is it a generic part number?
I imagine you could do that if you really wanted to be sure. But it means having to take it all apart, check the P/N, put it back together and do it all over again once the replacement part comes.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 15:40   #7
Craigneukbhoy

Thanks for the help & just out of interest do you recall if the screws were torx or Phillips head?
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 15:51   #8
Craigneukbhoy

Btw. Do you need to remove the steering wheel first or does the unit fix around the column rather than over it?
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 16:01   #9
Paddy94

Quote:
Btw. Do you need to remove the steering wheel first or does the unit fix around the column rather than over it?
No need to take the wheel off, the top and bottom pieces of the cowl will split apart after taking the screws out.

I think they're torx bits.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 21:33   #10
Craigneukbhoy

Thanks for the help & useful advice. I removed the faulty indicator arm & replaced it with one I got of eBay. A 5 minute job & it works perfect. Just a 15 minute job now tomorrow to put the cowling back on surrounding the steering wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craigneukbhoy For This Useful Post: