Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted: 940 bumper & tailgate

Views : 569

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 08:42   #1
Steve740

Default Wanted: 940 bumper & tailgate

After a recent fender bender I'm now in need of a new bumper and tailgate for my 940 estate, ideally silver but would consider black. Located in Cumbria but can get to Lancashire or Yorkshire, any further than that and I guess we'd be looking at courier help!
Steve740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 08:54   #2
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve740 View Post
After a recent fender bender I'm now in need of a new bumper and tailgate for my 940 estate, ideally silver but would consider black. Located in Cumbria but can get to Lancashire or Yorkshire, any further than that and I guess we'd be looking at courier help!
I have both in dark green but I'm in Glasgow
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:06   #3
rwdkev
VOC member

I have two spare tailgates - white and light blue - but no bumper for a 940.
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 21:52   #4
Steve740

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
I have two spare tailgates - white and light blue - but no bumper for a 940.
It seemed like everyone and their brother was breaking 940's not so long ago, can't believe I'm stuck now! Seriously considering the insurance payout and finding another one.. If it weren't for the nice seats and stereo I've put in already
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 13:18   #5
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
It seemed like everyone and their brother was breaking 940's not so long ago, can't believe I'm stuck now!
Yep, that's sod's law. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully something/someone will come along soon to help you.

Quote:
Seriously considering the insurance payout and finding another one.
If you do, make sure you buy it back and keep it as a donor for the benefit yourself and perhaps others. I did that with a written-off 960 many years ago and have never regretted it.

Quote:
If it weren't for the nice seats and stereo I've put in already
These are things that can be easily transferred from one vehicle to another.....
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 13:26   #6
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
.....I'm now in need of a new bumper and tailgate for my 940 estate, ideally silver.....
Did you see these in silver? All of these listings are old now but it might be worth getting in contact.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...gAAOSwOKlct3Xk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...Condition=3000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-960...Condition=3000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-960...Condition=3000
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 08:54   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I've got a tailgate for an early model 940 in dark grey. I'm down in Cheshire if that's any help from the logistics point-of-view.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2019, 22:15   #8
Steve740

Well guys, I tried the ebay thing and didn't have any luck with breaking Volvos, BUT I did find a 1992 940 in silver, top end of my budget but it's a barn find that's been nicely brought back to life, so I've pulled the trigger, with the only caveats being that it's a 2.0 and 4 speed with overdrive...

Luckily I know a guy with a 2.3 motor and 5 speed gearbox, on a good condition car written off for only a small bumper ding, recently bought back from the insurance company, what are the odds!?!

I guess even if I don't end up doing the engine swap, it's still easy to put back on the road for someone, and if not then parts galore. Unfortunately space for 2 estates is a luxury I can't afford, but hopefully a solution will present itself before long.

Thank you to everyone who responded, I think the crisis has been averted (for now!) and hopefully I'll be able to help with parts for people in future.

Moral of the story: find an insurance company that cares about your car as much as you do.

Tags
940, breaking, parts wanted