Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RHD Volvo 240 GLT Turbo for sale

Views : 11161

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 01:18   #21
STW240

Default Contact info

I have come across this thread whilst starting my search for a converted 240 turbo.
I have tried to message you but i can only contact administrators until i have 30 forum posts.

Any how, could you please let me know if the car is still available or not.

Regards

Simon
STW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 13:48   #22
matbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STW240 View Post
I have come across this thread whilst starting my search for a converted 240 turbo.
I have tried to message you but i can only contact administrators until i have 30 forum posts.

Any how, could you please let me know if the car is still available or not.

Regards

Simon
Looking at the dates on the previous posts I think you missed it by a few months.

Sold on ebay in Oct 2012 by the looks of things.
matbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 14:06   #23
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

I saw a converted 240 turbo on swapz.co.uk the other day
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 17:30   #24
STW240

Wow, Thanks for the help guys,

I was hoping the car may still be available as it seemed a particually good build. May be new owner would be interested in selling?

Have you got any links to the 240 turbo on swapz ?

I had a search but didn't turn anything up.

Any help in finding a 240 with a good turbo conversion would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 18:36   #25
Fridazadilak
Low & Lazy

I've just stuck a turbo engine in my 240...it's not that hard! You would be better off doing the conversion yourself!
Fridazadilak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridazadilak For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 20:00   #26
STW240

I've done engine conversions before, so doing the work myself is a possibility. Im in the middle of refurbishing a house at the mo so havent got alot of spare time and i want 240 daily driver for the up coming summer.

I've only just started looking but have seen a few potential 240s with sensible miles on ebay & i guess i could pick up a B230FK engine or better, a donor car.

I've read posts on the conversion and im still a bit unsure about ECU compatability & immobilisers. When converting a FK engine to block mounted dizzy, do you use the original 2.3 240 dizzy ? Am i right in thinking the FK engine loom will plug into a late 240 car loom ? What about the injector resistor i've read about ?

On the car that was for sale here, it looks like the 940 ignition key was installed in glove box. I like that idea but does that mean i'll need the 940 car loom ?

I cant have a disabled car sitting around for long so i need to fully understand conversion before hand.

If any "known" conversions come up for sale, im deffinately interested.

Im new to the forum and really appreciate the immediate help you guys are dishing out. I always read relevant forums to what i am driving at the time and this is prob the best attitude forum i've been part of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STW240 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 21:47   #27
STW240

Fridazadilak - what sort of time frame do you estimate this could be done in? I'd be trying to source a late 2.3 240 and a FT 940 turbo so that the injection systems & ecu matched.

Like i said, im not a novice at engine transplants, but they have both been carbed, so im not familiar with the ECU side of things.
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 22:17   #28
Fridazadilak
Low & Lazy

Good to see you've done your research!

ECU: You'll want to try to get both an LH2.4 equipped 240 and 940 for the ease of swapping everything over, my 240 is a 93 and my engine is a 94 B230FT so it's just plug and play. You need the ECUs from the 940 turbo that are the "gold boxes", ones that can be chipped to remove the immobiliser and fuel cut. There are a few places that can provide the chips, the most common are from "thelostartof" (hence called TLAO chips) on turbobricks, but he's in America and seems to be a bit useless at replying to PMs.

Dizzy: The block mounted distributor needs fitting to the FT/FK block, and the hole in the head where the head mounted dizzy used to be needs plugging.

Ballast resistor: The resistor needs splicing into the injector wires to avoid the different impedance (I always forget if it's too high or too low) injectors frying the ECU.

This process has caused my 240 to be off the road for 6 months because I got a garage to fit the engine originally and that went majorly wrong! With just me and a couple of mates helping I have stripped, fitted and wired it all up in a few days. Bearing in mind, I'm not a mechanic and am imminently about to sit my final uni exams, which is why I've had to put the car on the backburner for a couple more weeks!

Check my "Not so low and lazy!" thread for more info!

Hope this isn't just a load of babble...

Dan
Fridazadilak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridazadilak For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 22:45   #29
STW240

Thanks Dan, all makes sense.

If using ecu & injectors off 940 then why dont the resistances match ? I may well be miss understanding that bit.

Is there a uk supplier of immobiliser removal chips ? Or is there a way to use 940 ignition barrel to make the immobilisor fully functional ?

Can someone confirm what year 240 i should be looking for to get LH2.4 ?

I think i'll get myself a tidy LH2.4 equipt 240 and go from there.

Thanks again for all your help. It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 09:35   #30
crogthomas
Master Member

Quote:
If using ecu & injectors off 940 then why dont the resistances match ? I may well be miss understanding that bit.
The 940 loom has the resistors built into it. The 240 loom does not, since it uses different injectors. You want the ECU, the injectors and the resistor block from the 940 to make a matching set. OR, find some injectors of the same flow rate as the 940 ones, that have the correct resistance. You then won't need the resistor pack.

Quote:
Is there a uk supplier of immobiliser removal chips ? Or is there a way to use 940 ignition barrel to make the immobilisor fully functional ?
PM me.

Quote:
Can someone confirm what year 240 i should be looking for to get LH2.4 ?
From about 1990-1991 onwards. The lambda sensor and catalytic converter (with badge) equipped cars.

Last edited by crogthomas; Apr 29th, 2013 at 09:37.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crogthomas For This Useful Post:

Tags
volvo 240 turbo drift