Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing Belt Tensioner Advice Needed.

Views : 492

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 22:02   #1
LPTJoe

Default Timing Belt Tensioner Advice Needed.

Hi all

I completed a timing belt change at the weekend on my 2001 2.4 N/A v70 but after watching some videos on adjusting the tensioner I've realised I've actually set it in the middle section (for 20 degrees) and it really needed it to be set to the left post (cold setting) as the temperature outside was 7 or 8 degrees at the time of fitting (Doh!)

My question is simple, the car has only been run for 30 minutes or so... Is it possible/permitted/safe to loosen the bolt and re-set the tensioner, or is it a get it right first time only type of set up?

I'd like to avoid having to buy a new tensioner if I don't have to

Thanks in advance

Joe

Last edited by LPTJoe; Mar 23rd, 2020 at 22:35.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 22:55   #2
b1mcp

A couple of points
  1. 7-8 degrees is not cold. In the context of the tensioner adjustment, the "cold" position is for -20 degrees C. Middle is +20 degrees C, Hot is +50 degrees C. So you're probably closer to ideal than you think.

2. The tensioner is absolutely fine. Just slacken off and go through the tensioning procedure again if you think it's necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to b1mcp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 13:37   #3
oragex
Premier Member

About the 3-4 things I like to look at after installing a timing belt

- look at the tensioner needle with the engine idling - it should be steady, not vibrating. If it vibrates is not necessarily a bad thing, some people say it's fine, I had a tensioner vibrating a few mm, replaced it with another brand and now it stays perfectly steady.

- look at the belt from above with the engine at idle - the belt should stay about in the center of the cam pulleys and also should run steady without wobling sideways - all these are caused by either a problem with the tensioner, also possible the tensioner 14mm bolt is too tight (torque is only 15ft-lbs)

-the side cover of the belt, one with the 10mm long bolt, clips on both sides as well and has to engage at the bottom behind the crank pulley as well - this is a bit tricky to figure out. If this cover is not placed correctly, it may rub on the cam pulleys, make some noise and also spread the belt with a fine black rubber powder
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 16:21   #4
LPTJoe

Thanks for the replies chaps

My initial concern what that the car was miking an audible whine after the new belt was fitted and referring to the Gates instructions that came with the kit the advice is very clearly that if the temperature is anything less than 20 degrees the tensioner should be set to align with the left post.

Anyhow, yesterday I whipped the covers off, reset the tensioner to 'cold' and low and behold the whine of the new belt disappeared

TLDR- Make sure you set the tensioner correctly according to temperature or your new belt may make whining sounds.

LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 17:27   #5
oragex
Premier Member

Good update. I'm assuming the Gates kit was perhaps talking in F for the left post. We are rather used to the Celsius reference at 15C to 20C for center position, somewhere near -5C to -10C (and below) for the left post, and perhaps near 50C to 60C (and above) for the right post as the engine warms up. If Gates rather meant left post at below 20C then that's a mistake - rather worrying one.