Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

removing third row

Views : 14464

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2012, 20:12   #1
Carrizos

Default removing third row

I have a 2004 XC90 and am finding the internal storage space rather limiting, I would have preferred to be able to remove just one of the third row seats but it seems the two are one unit.

I found a thread on here about removing them with one post suggesting the SRS would be inactivated if they are removed and a response suggesting that it wouldn't be affected. Has anyone a definitive answer on this?

Would I need to have the vehicle spec changed to 5 seat to avoid MOT / insurance claim problems?
Carrizos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 20:28   #2
chb
Master Member

Wink

Hi, really puzzled by your question. You do know that the two seats in the very rear fold COMPLETELY flat, ie flush with the level of the rest of the boot space!

Theres a release handle on each seat near the front edge (looks like an ejector handle!)...pull that, push the seat where your bum goes all the way back, the upright part of the seat then flops forward...voila big boot.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 20:29   #3
chb
Master Member

Smile

oh... and you can also fold one seat or both independantly.
The Following User Says Thank You to chb For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 21:19   #4
Carrizos

yupI have them folded flat but am used to a much bigger vehicle we carry a lot of outdoor sports equipment and camping stuff. I loaded up my SeaEagle inflatable kayak, 3 lifejackets, three rucksacks, paddles, pumps, three wet suits, towels and a few other bits and bobs and the load was getting pretty full. We usually take a couple of large sea kayaks on the roof then there is tent, stove, sleeping stuff, spare clothes, food, pots pans, climbing ropes etc etc. I guess I might end up with a trailer but taking the back row out would be helpful.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 21:27   #5
chb
Master Member

Smile

You need a van not an xc90!

;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chb For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 22:32   #6
Golfather

Get a roof box mate, failing that I guess you have the wrong vehicle.
Golfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 20:22   #7
renesis

when moving house we managed to get more in the volvo by folding all the seats down than we did my peugeot partner small van.
sounds like you need a transit lol
renesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 00:22   #8
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrizos View Post
yupI have them folded flat but am used to a much bigger vehicle we carry a lot of outdoor sports equipment and camping stuff. I loaded up my SeaEagle inflatable kayak, 3 lifejackets, three rucksacks, paddles, pumps, three wet suits, towels and a few other bits and bobs and the load was getting pretty full. We usually take a couple of large sea kayaks on the roof then there is tent, stove, sleeping stuff, spare clothes, food, pots pans, climbing ropes etc etc. I guess I might end up with a trailer but taking the back row out would be helpful.
are you Ray Mears ?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 07:44   #9
chb
Master Member

Talking

Nah, Ray Mears would kill a tiger, skin it, use its bones to make a frame and its skin to cover the bones and voila...stripey corracle.
No need for him to take half of Millets with him.

I think this fellah is Bear Grills....all the kits is for his film crew.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 11:33   #10
Carrizos

Very funny, I have an active outdoor type family. The XC90 is a good compromise, it seems to be a very well built safe car that will offer a lot of protection in an accident. I have a lot of motorway driving to do over the next year or so and the extra economy / speed / comfort over a larger 4X4 is much appreciated already. I only need a little more space inside for weekend trips and I do not need the extra seats, I am happy to tow a trailer for longer expeditions. Before I bought the vehicle I was told they were fairly easy to remove, it did seem larger when empty but when I started loading it up the space soon diminished.

I have a roof box but can not fit it on this XC90 alongside two kayaks, they are kind of large and old, so also heavy - I use them as roof boxes, when packed with kit they are close to the max roof weight between them, one is here: http://aviewfromvaldovino.blogspot.c...max-results=20 .

Bear Gryls indeed :-)