Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ICM Infotainment Stereo packed up?

Views : 28860

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:51   #21
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t110mas View Post
Thanks stut4

I had my diagnostics done at a indy. Would Volvo care even accept indy reports? I'm not even sure they will cough up either. Seemingly it's a common problem with most Volvo xc90 I'm surprised Volvo did have them recalled. Or have they?

Cheers
i'm note about the oncall message, as i don't think i've got that.

i just had to email a copy of the Vida printout - showing the error codes. i initially emailed complaining that they wouldn't disable the Most security, thus removing my ability to fit a second hand unit or haiving it repaired out of the network, and then questioning if this was legal.

she said i had to get a diagnosis at a dealer, befroe they could decide what to do, which i did (before getting my own Vida version), then emailed to her. i don't know what checking they did to see if it was done by a dealer, but then came back with a 20% offer, then upped to £300 - but it must be repaired at the dealers.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 10:12   #22
t110mas

Mill Volvo are asking £96 plus vat to plug into their vida which i kindly refused. However I did ask them to drop their asking price if I wanted the job done, No response to that. as I already know the problem with or without the vida.

I'm not to sure if I want to spend that to get less than £200 return if I was successfull with my complaints

Considering the icm with or without the matrix display is well over £800 plus software too. I guess intime I may have to stomach it and hope for the best.

Best of luck with your investigation. But do be careful when removing your icm and climate control be sure to disconnect your main battery first otherwise SRS message will appear on your dash and would require reset.
t110mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 10:42   #23
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Mill Volvo are asking £96 plus vat to plug into their vida which i kindly refused. However I did ask them to drop their asking price if I wanted the job done, No response to that. as I already know the problem with or without the vida.

I'm not to sure if I want to spend that to get less than £200 return if I was successfull with my complaints

Considering the icm with or without the matrix display is well over £800 plus software too. I guess intime I may have to stomach it and hope for the best.

Best of luck with your investigation. But do be careful when removing your icm and climate control be sure to disconnect your main battery first otherwise SRS message will appear on your dash and would require reset.
thanks for the tip. robbing swines. £96 + vat??!! I got a quote from MRG in Chippenham for £35, but as it would have been 1 hour travelling round trip, i settled for £45 from the dealer 10 minutes away. i assume the indy you used had Vida? If so, try emailing that to Volvo Uk outling complaint....i sent to VCUKMD@volvocars.com and got a reply within 20 minutes - addressed to Nick Connor. i said on a car 45-50k when new it wasn't particulary good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 14:03   #24
t110mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
Good luck on yours. Mines same model and year. I'm going to attempt to get to the modules at the weekend to test these before booking it in.

Don't know if it helps, but i let rip at Volvo UK....5-6 yr old car; 90k miles blahblah blah, and eventually (2 days/6 emails later) got an offer of £300 of vouchers which arrived today, and my motors only been to the Main Dealer twice in last 3 years. Let me know if you want me to bounce over the correspondence i used and email address.

Stu
hiya you wouldnt mind forwarding your correspondence with volvo over to me?
cheers

Last edited by t110mas; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 14:50.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 14:31   #25
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
hiya you wouldnt mind forwarding your correspondence with volvo over to me?

cheers
email sent - good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 22:36   #26
t110mas

Quote:
Hiya StuT4

My XC90 2006 D5 Executive is experiencing the same problems as yours. I have had it diagnosed by vida with dice (2011d) by an independent Volvo up in the Newcastle area and it’s both the ICM and the PHM.

I have also checked fibre optics to some of the modules which I can get to. There are red light signal to all modules except for the fibre optic connecting to the PHM.

Anyway I was considering a fibre optic brace to cancel out the signal or bypassing the phm and hopefully it will get the MOST network back up.

This is my work around as a last resort as paying that large amount of money doesn’t seem quite right considering its music after all.

T110mas

Hiya all

I tried my luck with the fibre optic brace on the PHM module thinking it will bypass the sytem and get my ICM back up but with no success. This method disabled some of my climate control functions such as heated seats. I guess my ICM is most prob defunct!!

I took it to my local indy volvo garage and ask them to perform a ring break diagnostic and it came back with no break on every module, however my MOST lock under the Vida diagnosis was flashing both on/off it couldnt make up its mind. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 14:11   #27
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal master tech View Post
Hi mate if you remove the panel around the gear selector ( presuming it's an auto you will need to move it to n position to get the panel out) it simply pops up there after you will see two torx screws under the climate unit if you undo these then pull the whole centre stack out at the bottom and slide it down the whole radio and climate unit will pull out this will give you access to the other units which you will now see more fibre optic wiring. To be honest if you have red light coming down the connector at the DVD drive under front pass seat the system would appear to be ok as from memory this is the last unit before the loop is completed by going back to the icm. it would then look like an icm( the screen witch displays radio stations etc ) fault. Do you have access to anyone who code read codes from the car? It's just this system is accurate at telling you which unit is faulty if it is any other unit apart from the icm you can get fibre optic loops which you put in place of the defective unit and allows the system to work with that unit simply being bypassed.
Hi Unreal Mastertech,

this is the first weekend i've been able to spend a couple of hours tinkering....

i've removed the centre console.
* there is a red light entering and leaving the ICM unit
* there is a red light entering the Minidisc Module
* there is a red light entering the CD changer Module
* there is a red light entering the phone Module
* there is a red light entering the Amp Module
* there is a red light entering the Sub Module
* there is a red light entering the Antanae Module
* there is a red light entering the Multimedia/Satnav module

on all of these modules, except the ICM i have fitted a fibreoptic loop and there are not changes to any readings on vida.

Vida has found the ICM, and phone as active, but the Minidisc,CD,amp,sub,antanae,mmm all show as red.

Vida has still thrown the previous ICM-01/02 error codes.

I assume, that as by fitting the fibreoptic loop in each position has in effect ruled out each of the above units being at fault, so now points towards the ICM sending the incorrect signal to the units?

Next stop, main dealer then for a new ICM. Was hoping to bypass that, but needs must as i've not been able to mend myself.

thanks
Old May 17th, 2012, 21:02   #28
Beavis
Premier Member

Quick update......

Went to main dealers. They said they would try and get a donor unit to test an ICM in. Later phoned back saying the Dealer Principle wouldn't allow it but they were 99% certain it was the ICM. But if i bought a new one and it didn't work theres no refund......

Spent last 2 months trying to source a 2nd hand ICM to minimise losses if it wasn't ICM. Received it today, but exactly the same symptoms....turning off at exactly the same time, which to me would imply the ICM is not at fault, as the chances of having the same issue on 2 ICM responding in the same way i imaging would be quite small.

I have tried an optical loop on the:
*phone module
*cd changer
*md changer
*phone module
*sat nav
*amplifier
with both the old and new icm in place and exactly the same responses - turns on 1-2 seconds then switches off.

The only other thing i think it could be would be a wiring power issue, as the Wife noticed a slight smell as the radio went off - thinking it was a small bonfire on the side of the road - so i imagine i can ignore the Amp module and Antenae module as they are in the rear.

I've checked all fuses in front and rear side panel, and under the dash.
The Sat nav lights up and spits the disc out ok.
The Sat Nav screen does not respond at all.
The mini disc side light is not lit, but the other backlit panels light up okay.

Please can anyone shed any light at all...i'm at my wit's end and cannot stomach the dealer suggesting a try-it-and-see approach with replacing the various other modules in the car. Otherwise i'm going to have to bit the bullet and get a complete new touchscreen install as i would expect that to completely work for a fixed price compared to volvo's £1000 here and £1000 there. I have Vida so can link to the car and will try anything suggested.

Many thanks
Old May 17th, 2012, 21:02   #29
Beavis
Premier Member

T110MAs, did you have any luck with yours?
Old May 17th, 2012, 21:36   #30
bluey_xc90

Mine is giving the same issues and I think it is the ICM - I've got it booked in with Central Radio Service in Ipswich who are mentioned on here next Tuesday.

They say it is about a 50:50 if it is the power rectified or the actual CPU on the ICM that fails. I do wonder if the ICM you got secondhand has the same fault as they all seem to be prone to failing, especially given the age of the cars.

I'll let you know how I get on next week with mine - btw the ICM code I was getting was ICM DC02 which is communications error. I am also now considering changing to a newer XC90 as can now see that the amount of time I will have to use to troubleshoot is going to increase rapidly over the next 18 months, even though all problems I encounter will be fixable. I just don't have the time to do that in my job so will probably bit the bullet for a new one!
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote