Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1071589

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2017, 13:57   #12371
trufauru

I cleaned it, checked all the levels and track it all saturday long

I did four series, twenty minutes each, and it didnt skipped a beat, the discs turned blue hahah but never failed on me, the only issue I had was with the heat (32º standing in the shade) and the lack of grip given by seat
Audi 100 1973 - Trying to get it on the road
UAZ 469 2002 - Beach/Surf Duties
trufauru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trufauru For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 17:18   #12372
canis
Non Fragile

MOT failed. It was mostly on stuff I never got around to checking before the weather got cold. I need a wishbone, a track rod end, and I've ordered both handbrake cables since the postage was free and I thought it'd save messing around. It's a shame my hack didn't work out, but you can't win 'em all.

So I've got a parcel on it's way. Supposed to be next day delivery, and I do hope so! Need to get this done now.

Still can't find that caliper spring which pinged off.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 20:01   #12373
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Removed the auxiliary belt to find which pulley is complaining. Turned out it is the tensioner pulley.

I've ordered a new tensioner, idler pulley (which has a bit missing and has slight movement although the bearing is quiet) and belt.

I thought the issue was the alternator pulley but that seems okay. I plan to put the new pulleys and belt on and recheck before I put the ECU back.

I also tried and failed to remove one headlight (without taking the bumper off) and dropped a nut in to the engine bay somewhere so that's got to be found tomorrow.

I put sealant round the top and sides of the lens to try and stop the water ingress but I suspect it is going in the bottom edge.

Also put some sealant round the seal on the inlet manifold as even with a new o-ring it still leaks.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 16:09   #12374
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Got back last night at nearly 9pm, so it's had 20 days sat in not the best weather conditions, started first try within 2 rotations of the starter motor, i kept the faith you see, my collegues few year old all singing all dancing focus st (running rs power) didnt fair the same though, totally dead, not even enough voltage to switch the interior light on, there's something to be said for older cars isn't there.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 17:20   #12375
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
Today I had a moment when the car wouldn't start. Dash lights came on, no clicking dead......Turns out I had to move the auto box from Park to Drive then back to Park and it started up. Think this cold weather is playing havoc
A suggestion - I had something similar on my 740 auto and I found that the inhibitor switch alongside the selector lever had some wear in it so it wasn't always recognising it was in park or Neutral.

I ended up removing the centre trim 'just in case' so I could move the lever more left - right that otherwise and it kept it ok.

Might want to check if that's the cause of yours as you don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 13:48   #12376
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Got a really decent wage from being away all month so bugger it, merry christmas to my volvo from me, located barely an hour away, in my size and offset (came off a p2 t4) and only 75 quid, why not, i was getting a little bored of the rays splits plus im not entirely sure if they really suit the car or not, but i know these will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOMOGT2.jpg (169.7 KB, 14 views)
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 18:48   #12377
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Ended up replacing the alternator as the small bearing on the back of it was on its way out. It's a design flaw where the powder from the brushes wearing fills up the dust cap and forces its way in to the bearing destroying it.

I also noted that my lower radiator mounts have almost rusted away so they have had a liberal coat of wd40 and a top coat of hammerite waxoyl underbody sealer. I wouldn't normally advocate a waxoyl product but using it after a soaking of wd40 is more effective than the waxoyl alone. I would also suggest topping up the wd40 regularly.

My next project is to get some replacement engine tray fixings as they are either broken or replaced with cable ties and it takes forever to get the cover off and on again.

Having spent £200 plus all my labour, I think I need to put a bit more effort into making the old girl last a bit longer!

I also noticed my tyres are wearing on the inside so my next job is to rotate them before they become illegal. I'm not sure I will be going to the lengths of doing the tracking as I understand the track rod ends tend to require an angle grinder to undo them.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 19:55   #12378
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Collected my new wheels earlier, they are tatty and need a quick refurb but shouldn't take long as they're not splits, plus I'll be going for a bog standard colour this time on these. The guy I bought them from has a nice 02 plate t4 that he might be selling over the next few months, which he took me out in, I've already told him, that's it I'm saving up, I don't know what's been done to it other than a full system and induction kit (plus whatever that thing is you can do to turbo's to make the wastegate chatter on lift off) but blimey, that things sh!t yourself quick, I need this car.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 20:11   #12379
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Accidently posted twice.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Dec 23rd, 2017 at 20:12. Reason: Double post
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 00:20   #12380
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I can't edit the above double post anymore but I've just bought that t4, pics to follow.

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage