Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate gas spring/strut

Views : 1051

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 08:23   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Tailgate gas spring/strut

Hi folks

In Vida I can find the t/gate gas spring in the parts section (only) what i cannot find is removal/fitting.

Ive looked at mine and i cannot see the gas spring anywhere, is it unde r the roof lining or sommat? On my Laguna it was external...

Crisis averted, i have found this thread, took a bit of digging mind..

For anyone else needing help, heres how i did it
You will need
  1. 8mm socket
  2. 25 torque (dont quote me on that)
  3. Pick tools, Right angle is ideal
  4. Torch
  5. Second person to hold the t/gate

1. Remove boot light from roof,
  2. Remove torque screw from under light
  3. Remove the long panel that holds the light
  4. For both sides:-
  5. Remove plastic access covers near were the back lights are
  6. Remove large access panels for the back light bulbs
  7. Remove (or just pull down) the large boot side panel using 8mm socket
  8. Remove torque screw from far rear dog guard holes and pull the plastic panel down

This should give you good access, you need to do all that so you have as much room as possible as things can be fiddly.

Pull down the roof lining so you can see the strut, using the torch and pick tool (told you its fiddly ) find the lock pin, its got a small hole, and remove it, dont matter if you bend it as the new strut should have them included, remove both pins, using second person, push t/gate as high as it will go, and you knock off the strut from the t/gate end. Then pull outwards to remove it from the roof end. Second person can relax a little but still holdin it.

Remove the 2 pins from the new one and you will prob need to turn the strut one end so it lines up, then push it on the t/gate end, make sure its on properly else the pin wont go in, then ask person to push up t/gate again as high as it till go, then fit to roof end, again make sure its all the way on, i used pliers to grip the bracket and strut to lock it on, then using the locking pins, secure it.

Do this both sides and then check it works ok before refitting, Job Done, have a beer

Last edited by Bashy; Mar 18th, 2020 at 10:15.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 16:11   #2
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Great video on how to change them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIOXiJXBK0

Mine are worn enough that I need to 'help' / push the tailgate up, just umming and erring if I should splash the cash to fix them as they still work, sort of ...
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 02:55   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

This difference for me was remarkable and well worth the hassle changing them, the bonnet not so much, its a bit thinner than the original and i cannot tell any difference, moderate winds will close it like before..... I will keep the original one in case i can ever find the nipple or whatever its called so i can fit it on the other side

Tailgate gas springs - struts order 2x
Bonnet gas spring - strut

Total £54.93
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 07:58   #4
Critical Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
This difference for me was remarkable and well worth the hassle changing them, the bonnet not so much, its a bit thinner than the original and i cannot tell any difference, moderate winds will close it like before..... I will keep the original one in case i can ever find the nipple or whatever its called so i can fit it on the other side
I did mine couple weeks ago but I bought stabilus one from autodoc and I notice big difference on both ends especially tailgate as I use few times a day.
I also kept old bonet one but I bought hinge with nipple thing as I doubt you cant find this separate and even you do, you will probably need to use some kind of press to attach one to hinge.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 08:02   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Bill View Post
I did mine couple weeks ago but I bought stabilus one from autodoc and I notice big difference on both ends especially tailgate as I use few times a day.
I also kept old bonet one but I bought hinge with nipple thing as I doubt you cant find this separate and even you do, you will probably need to use some kind of press to attach one to hinge.
Hi Bill, funny ya say that, i bought a used red hinge with the nipples on it yesterday morning, another Latvia shipment mind lol hope its not as long as the actual struts, took a week before they were even shipped :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 17:01   #6
BlueRubber
VOC Member

You guys convinced me and I bought some from Autodoc, also got some bonnet struts as it collapsed on me the other day.
Luckily I was in the garage at the time!
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 00:10   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

I bought the wrong bloody hinge, i so wish they would all use OS and NS instead of left and right, is it left from inside th car or standing facing front to back, not the 1st time ive wasted money on an unnecessary part, did the same with the fuel flap lock actuator, didnt need one, i didnt know it didnt lock straight away :/...

So, for anyone thats after doing this mod, you could dril off the nipples, drill the out, give them a thread, then bolt them on i spose, ive not done this myself, i just bought the OS one this time.

I have a spare hinge in case anyone needs the nips? lol
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 12:15   #8
Critical Bill

Quote:
I bought the wrong bloody hinge, i so wish they would all use OS and NS instead of left and right, is it left from inside th car or standing facing front to back
I bought a pair to make things easier but in diferent colour.

Quote:
not the 1st time ive wasted money on an unnecessary part
You're not alone on this one Bashy
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 05:06   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Bill View Post
I bought a pair to make things easier but in diferent colour.
I was lucky to get the right colour, wish i'd bought both now but at the time there seemed no reason to lol
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 16:31   #10
Bashy
Aged Member

Well, interestingly, the ones from Latvia are actually shorter, well, the part thats attached to the bonnet, its no biggy, but was a fiddly job, especially getting the bolt out the semi under the wing, nearly screwed it up and rounded it off sorted it by remove the bolts from the wing and prising it up enough, its only just doable mind, all sorted and now the bonet will go up on its own from less than half way, champion