Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Passenger Door Lock Button

Views : 387

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2023, 17:34   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Passenger Door Lock Button

Lots of info on here, about this issue so thank you all for that. Also a very informative You tube vid from SwedishVolvo. However so much information has left me somewhat confused.
The passenger door button when locking with the fob does not fully go down - it goes 3/4 way then comes up slightly- so its 2/3 down. Sometimes this is enough to lock the door, sometimes not.
From this site it appears that this issue is caused by one of the two motors in the door locking mechanism becoming contaminated, but the SwedishVolvo and some info from this site infers there is a small circular spring which can become dislodged, and this causes the malfunctioning button.
I could open up the door and check if the spring is still fitted, but I try to be prepared for repairs I do.
If this spring is the issue so be it - looks an easy fix
If its motors - a bit more complicated, but still doable DIY.

Don't really plan to use Ford or other bits - looking at a repair rather than a replacement.

Any advice / suggestions most welcome.

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 18:49   #2
Bob
Club Director

Mine accidentally became dislodged when replacing the door card. I watched the video but decided the hassle was not worth it. The rod is not really necessary so I removed it.

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 19:59   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , if the button pulls down & pops up slightly when triggered by the fob , the most likely cause is a failing electric motor in the lock it self . Guess who also has this issue ! .

Ebay or Amazon area good source of replacements , they are the same motor as late model Ford Mondeo

Remove lock ( tutorials available on the forum ) & replace motor . Not rocket surgery but easily a job for most people to get to grips with . Hope this helps
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 14:56   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Hello there , if the button pulls down & pops up slightly when triggered by the fob , the most likely cause is a failing electric motor in the lock it self . Guess who also has this issue ! .

Ebay or Amazon area good source of replacements , they are the same motor as late model Ford Mondeo

Remove lock ( tutorials available on the forum ) & replace motor . Not rocket surgery but easily a job for most people to get to grips with . Hope this helps
Yep have seen the online video -( volvosweden is very good) just need guidence as to whether fault was no spring or failing motor.

I set to yesterday locking/unlocking with drivers door locking switch, and after about 5 minutes of constant use ( no smoke) it appears to have sorted itself out, and now always fully depresses.

Lack of use of this car is causing the occasional gremlin to appear.

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote