Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Seat Belt Replacement

Views : 1257

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2017, 14:02   #1
martinb84

Default Front Seat Belt Replacement

Hi Folks,

My OSF Seatbelt has got to the point where it's started fraying badly and needs replacing. I've had a skim over Gatos Article on replacing the belt (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=205201), but due to Photobucket's recent change, the images are no longer visible!

Does anyone have any photos handy?

Thanks in advance.

Martin
martinb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 19:56   #2
flyingtech55

Could I respectfully request the same. I have exactly the problem as Martin.

Tim
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 21:10   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

I'm guessing that the x40 arrangement isn't so different from the p1 x70 set-up. I recently changed the OSF belt on our 1998 S70, and to be honest it was a doddle.

Check out Robert's video on YouTube. If you don't know about Robert the Volvo man then you're missing a treat!

I was advised to disconnect the battery whilst the ignition switch was in position 1, and then wait 30 minutes. This disabled the pre-tensioner sensor. Then it really was very easy to bolt the lower mount on the seat runner, remove the plastic B-pillar trim, disconnect the sensor, unbolt the old belt mechanism complete, and remove it from the car. The new belt assembly simply dropped in whence from the old had come. Everything went back together as easily as it had come apart. The battery was reconnected, the engine started, all the warning lights went out, and normal service was resumed. The whole thing took me less than an hour.

I also took the precaution of fitting the side air bag safety device - just in case there was any risk that I could set off the side air bag by messing around close to the side impact sensor, which is mounted in the seat base.

It really was a breeze.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 22:34   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

The biggest issue I found was removing the lower B post trim. The trim actually folds around the metal flange on the B post and needs to be pulled up vertically from the bottom in order to release the trim from the flange. Start by removing the rear door sill plate. There are three clips underneath that need releasing by pulling up the sill plate, start at the front and the plate should swing up and hinge on the rear clip underneath the rear seat side bolster. The front sill trims need removing by undoing the two screws and releasing the centre clip. Pull out the upper B post seals both front and back and then the trim panel should slide up the B post. I can't remember if there are any clips holding it as well, but it will be obvious if there are.The top trim panel comes off quite easily.

One thing to watch for is to securely hold the belt drum while taking off the old belt and replacing with the new one. I used a G clamp to hold the drum once the belt was fully extended. The belt is located by a pin that slides down in a groove in the drum, it will be obvious when you have got this far. The pin just needs sliding up out of the groove and the belt is off. Fit the new belt, release the G clamp and let the new belt rewind on the drum.

Incidentally, both front belts are the same, it is only the winding mechanism that is handed, so a good unworn passenger side can be used on the driver's side.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 13:07   #5
martinb84

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your replies.

Since posting, I managed to pick up a good condition OSF Seat Belt unit from the local breakers yard (along with a few other odds and sods that needing sorting), so I won't have to go through unwinding the belt and replacing it.

When I get around to swapping the units over, I'll take some pics and post them up here for reference.

Thanks again.

Martin
martinb84 is offline   Reply With Quote