Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Manual EPB removal/wind off

Views : 19164

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2016, 13:09   #31
cliffharris
cliffInLincoln

Default 30681857 seal and screws

Does anybody know the size of the O-ring in the kit 30681875; if we can find that out we can then source such O-rings at very low prices.
cliffharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 00:22   #32
Daftnick

Default Great info but anyone tried the EP31 tool from fleabay

I just bought one for doing the rear pads on my xc70 2010 reg. £45 from fleabay. Connects to ECU but brake deactivate or activate commands give link error. Same error on my neighbours car too. No online upgrades or support so maybe a bin job. Unless someone on the forum has any ideas. The fleabay seller says to try a third car and also suggests I get the EP31 repaired locally. (You couldn't make this up):speechless
Daftnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 20:20   #33
sheaton

Default Steps to do the "connect 12V to the motor method".

I just replaced my rear pads using the "connect 12V to the motor method".

Here is the detail:

Rear brake pads – Volvo with EPB (Electronic Parking Brake)

Leave handbrake on

Jack up and remove rear roadwheel

Remove slider bolts (13mm & 15mm spanners)

Remove EPB motor plug by puling upwards. This is the most difficult bit. You will need to slide a small screwdriver upwards into the latching mechanism at the rear of the connector. Keep the tip of the screwdriver in contact with the body of the connector (the bit which is part of the motor), whilst sliding it up. The tip of the screwdriver will gently prise away a latch, which is part of the connector on the end of the cable, away from a projection on the body of the connector.

Power motor release using a 9V or 12V battery. Drivers side forward most pin negative to release (passenger side is the opposite). The motor runs for about 18seconds if the pads are fully worn out.

Pull off carrier, pads and slider shoes

Replace shoes (if one is rubber coated, fit this to the upper part of the caliper)

Put a small amount of silicone grease on pad parts which touch the slider.

Use Sealey tool to retract piston slowly (don’t turn the piston, just push it back slowly). Keep an eye on the master cylinder level to make sure it doesn’t overflow.

Put caliper back. Replace slider bolts.

Power motor in reverse (reverse the polarity of the wiring) to seat piston (about 3sec).

Press brake pedal to seat pads.

The worst part is releasing the plug from the EPB. It is probably woth repeating that bit (I broke the first connector before realising this).

The part of the connector which is fixed to the motor body has a small projection (like a ski ramp) on the back. The free part of the connector which is on the cable has a clip which rides up the ramp when the connector is pushed home, until clip reaches the end of the ramp and drops drops off the end, so clipping it in place securely.

To release it, you need to insert the screwdrive upwards (running it close to the body of the fixed part of the connector). As you do this, it will lift the clip away from the end of the ramp, and so allow you to pull the connector off.
sheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sheaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 17:07   #34
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Question I-S. How long a T30 bit required?

Thanks I-S for that really helpful write up. Especially the tip about the T30 bit. I have a set of standard length bits which I use in 1/2” drive adapter and would have merrily commenced work, only to find that they were too short as you describe. I’m about to buy some longer bits. There are some available on line either 100mms or 150mms in length. There is also a set available at Machine Mart (040223511), seven of each length 30mms and 75mms and they come in a storage case. I would prefer the Machine Mart set, but, in your opinion, will the 75mms be long enough, taking into account the adapter. Your pic would seem to indicate that it would.
Just found a Draper spline, hex and torx set (30mms and 75mms) at Tool Station (66212) for £22.98. I’m tempted, subject to your reply, as it’s all in one case, even though I already have a hex set.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 6th, 2019 at 17:33. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 22:24   #35
Peter86
Pete

I have a Epb tool and I found you have to tell it to release the parking brake then go into service mode. If you release the parking brake via switch then try service mode it doesn't work.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 20:37   #36
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Re the 9 volt battery.

Is the battery in question the small rectangular MN1604/PP3 often used in smoke detectors etc?

Sorry, just noticed “Gazzamit’s” post saying he used a PP3.

Last edited by Ian21401; Aug 15th, 2019 at 20:47. Reason: Add apologies.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 08:03   #37
th68

Default leave handbrake on?

Leave handbrake on

Thanks for your post! I am about to change the rear disks and the pads on my 2008 Volvo V70 and I am still a bit confused. I'd be grateful, if you/anyone could answer my questions:

1. What is the reason for leaving the handbrakes on? I have watched/read a few instructions and have not heard of that before.
2. Why release the plug from the EPB? I read in one comment that this avoids problems with the motor, but this does not explain why releasing the plug helps.
3. If I rewind manually, do I need to release the plug? Why use the "connect 12V to the motor method", if rewinding is so easy?

Thanks a lot for reading (and hopefully answering) my questions!
th68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 08:21   #38
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th68 View Post

Leave handbrake on

Thanks for your post! I am about to change the rear disks and the pads on my 2008 Volvo V70 and I am still a bit confused. I'd be grateful, if you/anyone could answer my questions:

1. What is the reason for leaving the handbrakes on? I have watched/read a few instructions and have not heard of that before.
2. Why release the plug from the EPB? I read in one comment that this avoids problems with the motor, but this does not explain why releasing the plug helps.
3. If I rewind manually, do I need to release the plug? Why use the "connect 12V to the motor method", if rewinding is so easy?

Thanks a lot for reading (and hopefully answering) my questions!
1 Leave it on makes getting the wheel off easier.

2 If useing the pp3 or 12v battery method you need access to the terminals.

3 Removing the motor and useing the manual rewind method has its difficulties, notably the very real risk of stripping the torx head in the small retaining screws if they are siezes.
Yes I found out the hard way, got one out no problem the second the head stripped with only moderate preasure. I left it there and used the pp3 battery method as it's going to be a caliper off job to get at it to remove and previous experiance with volvo brake couplings will mean cutting and reflareing the pipe with a new coupling. At some point I will need to do it but as it was a quick pad change I left it for next time .

There is also the risk of damageing the O ring seal that stops the road crud and water getting in there.

I have vida dice and it can be done with that IF you can remember how and the laptop is charged. The pp3 battery is just so simple it's my go to method.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 07:14   #39
afeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Is the battery in question the small rectangular MN1604/PP3 often used in smoke detectors etc?

Sorry, just noticed “Gazzamit’s” post saying he used a PP3.
Images.google.co.uk :-) put in 9 volt PP3 and this is it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9v.jpg (14.0 KB, 5 views)
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 07:16   #40
afeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCp9LZ_sOeo
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote