Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control v Speed Limiter

Views : 10754

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2015, 22:01   #21
conedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4rth View Post
Interesting, the speed limiter on my MY13 D2 SE doesn't beep but it does limit the speed. I wonder if you have a fault. I find the speed limiter very useful in average speed camera zones definitely not pointless.
I find the cruise control much more useful in those circumstances, as you can just set and forget. It's even better with the adaptive cruise control, as if you catch up to a slower vehicle (i.e. someone who is limiting his/her speed according to a probably optimistic speedometer), the car will automatically adjust speed accordingly. I've never used the speed limiter, preferring to use the ACC instead.
conedia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conedia For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 15:22   #22
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachyblue View Post
I'm not really bothered about the limiter, so will probably go with whatever is cheaper?easier. I'm going to speak directly to Volvo on Monday and see what they recommend. I'm worried if I diy it I would probably void the warranty. Plus I am hoping this will be (or at least part of it) at dealer's expense. Preliminary discussions suggest they will be willing to come to some kind of agreement.
It was advertised with cruise control, so that's what you are entitled to get! There are essentially two options:

a) The dealer fits the cruise control, at their expense
b) You go to another dealer, ask them to fit it, and then sue the original seller for the cost.

Don't accept any sort of "well let's split the cost 50/50" - THEY are the ones that made the mistake, not you, and you shouldn't be paying a penny more for them to fix it. Also remember that the dealer will get mark-up on the cost, so the ~£350 you'd pay is nothing like what it would cost them. A couple of hundred quid to them should be nothing to make a customer happy
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 21:26   #23
rachyblue

It wasn't Volvo I bought it from so they will have to pay the full price, although I'm guessing they probably get some kind of trade discount...

I'm ringing Volvo first thing to get an accurate cost, then the place I bought from to tell them the good news!
rachyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 22:30   #24
conedia

Quote:
It wasn't Volvo I bought it from so they will have to pay the full price, although I'm guessing they probably get some kind of trade discount...

I'm ringing Volvo first thing to get an accurate cost, then the place I bought from to tell them the good news!
My advice would be to leave Volvo out of this. As has been mentioned, you were sold a car that was not as advertised, and (I presume) therefore not fit for your purpose under the Sale of Goods Act. The place that sold you the car MUST therefore rectify this.

What it costs the garage who sold you the car is of no concern to you - you just need them to rectify the situation, regardless of what it costs them. Getting mixed up with costs will only muddy the waters, to your disadvantage.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 14:54   #25
rachyblue

For info - quoted cost from Volvo (dealer asked me to contact Volvo for cost) is £558.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 16:24   #26
conedia

Quote:
For info - quoted cost from Volvo (dealer asked me to contact Volvo for cost) is £558.
Why would the dealer do that? It's their job to find out what it's going to cost them, not yours. It really does sound like they are trying to drag you into some negotiations where you will be asked to partly pay for this. Still, your choice to get involved into areas that should not be of concern to you.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 16:35   #27
rachyblue

Five hours later still waiting for a callback. They've played nice so far so will see what the return call brings.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 18:15   #28
rachyblue

Success... I have a job number for the local Volvo dealer, just getting it booked in now.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachyblue For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 11:07   #29
conedia

Quote:
Success... I have a job number for the local Volvo dealer, just getting it booked in now.
Well done. They must have realised that they mis-sold you the car, and rather than get into trouble with Trading Standards, decided that rectifying the issue was the better option. Unless you are a long term customer, not a lot of dealers or garages will do that without a fight.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 22:18   #30
rachyblue

They held their hands up from the outset to be fair to them and were all about what they could do to sort it. I could even overlook the way the aftersales guy kept calling me hon....