Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High mileage

Views : 4491

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2014, 08:14   #1
Loljulie

Angry High mileage

Hello All, Volvo have always been renowned for being able to take high mileage in its stride, I have had v40 t4's, v70's, even an 850 back in the day! I have seen an 07 plate v50 2.0 petrol se with 135000 on the clock, full VSH, but what I read on this forum suggests that Modern Ford era Volvos no longer have the interstellar capacity. What thoughts do you guys have?
PS had enough of modern diesels! DPF! DMF, EGR, and they call it progress!
Loljulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 09:01   #2
Falmouthboy

The engines are still capable of these massive mileages (as indeed they are on most modern cars). The difference theses days is that there are many other things (like ECUs) that can render a car beyond economic repair. Volvos of old were not overly stressed and tended to be driven by less 'sporting' individuals so pick up a used one and chances are it would go for ever.
Falmouthboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 10:01   #3
mpt

Isn't the 2.0 petrol a Mazda engine? Japanese petrol engines are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

I also think some petrol engines have DMFs (I'm sure the mondeo ST220 does) and all will have EGR valves to reduce NOx it's just they don't cause so many issues as petrol is 'cleaner'.
mpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 10:06   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

You'll read a lot of comment on most forums for most cars about how the newer versions of cars simply aren't as long-lasting/solid/reliable as earlier versions. It's usually bollocks.

I remember well the bashing the P2 platform cars were getting once upon a time. Yet they're now touted as being capable of intergalactic mileages too and the faults for which they were condemned early in their lives (especially the D5) are now accepted as "common problems", generally with easy or affordable fixes.

Cars go through a phase when they're about three to six years after launch where the, shall we say, "less well thought out" parts of the design become apparent to the second or third owners.

The aftermarket hasn't yet caught on to them and the dealers probably haven't seen the issues that often either so the fixes are often drawn out and expensive. Later on the aftermarket suppliers fill the gaps with cheaper solutions, people find DIY fixes, updated parts are produced which don't suffer the problems, etc. The big problems then tend to become niggles, or common faults with well known cheap(er) fixes.

It's a cycle which repeats and certainly isn't unique to Volvo

My advice would always be do your research, find out what the common issues usually are, buy the best kept car you can find in your budget - mileage isn't anywhere near as important as a properly cared for car.

Regarding your other comments DMFs are in petrels too and are why modern cars are smoother, more refined and able to pull from very low revs without nasty vibrations even with four cylinder engines. DPFs prevent carcinogenic particles polluting the air. EGR systems reduce the production of toxic NOx. Of course there usually are downsides to any such systems but looking at the bigger picture I think it's hard to argue they're bad things overall.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 10:18   #5
Loljulie

Smile

Hi John
Thanks for that reply, I fully understand the benefits of the innovations on modern cars, but having fallen foul of the cost of repair / maintenance I remain not a fan!
Loljulie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loljulie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 17:17   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt View Post
Isn't the 2.0 petrol a Mazda engine? Japanese petrol engines are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

I also think some petrol engines have DMFs (I'm sure the mondeo ST220 does) and all will have EGR valves to reduce NOx it's just they don't cause so many issues as petrol is 'cleaner'.
It is in deed an MZR engine found in mx5' s the two 1.8 and 2.0 are related. They don't have dmf' s. Additionally the latest GDI engines suffer the same issue of particulates being produced just like diesels and the reason for dpf' s. Euro 6 introduces a particulate limit for patrols. Particulate pollution is not just a diesel problem.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 08:51   #7
Welton
Premier Member

The core bits of an engine are far more reliable now than they used to be; I'm referring to the pistons, big-ends, and valve train. The technology, manufacturing techniques and modern oil quality is superb......however it is all the sensors and emissions controls connected to the engine which cause these expensive repairs and label the car 'unreliable'.

As said it is not unique to Volvo, a lot of problems have blackened the German's reputation for reliability, you only need to mention 'Swirl Flaps' to any BMW Diesel driver to see them break into a nervous sweat.......

Cars themselves have become extremely complex through the demand for lower emissions, the need for increased safety, and demand for more driver aids/gadgets.

I believe new cars are made to last the length of the warranty after that you 'lease' another one or you take your chances solving the issues with the existing car. My 2005 car is simple enough for me to keep on the road so I intend to run it for many years yet; it has cost a lot of money but still cheaper than a new car.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 21:52   #8
TMC121

I have a v50D 1.6 first diesel volvo i have ever owned, all others where petrol, S70, 850 and a 760 way back.

Now to that end i have put up 250,000 on my Volvo and i have just had to replace the engine.
Regular service is key for diesels

Like the marquee.
Weston is correct The core bits of an engine are far more reliable and it cost money but worth it and as stated cheaper than a new one.
Many years left in the Volvo yet.

TMC
TMC121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 22:54   #9
jferrari

Hi all. New to this forum but thought it may be of interest to know that my 2005 V50 2.0 diesel has done at least 225,000 miles. Difficult to know how many as it had been clocked at some point! I've had it 7 years and it was (unsurprisingly) a cheap buy! Initially needed a spate of repairs to put it right but its been trouble-free for last 5 years. Work needed - head gasket, turbo, additive dosing module. A joy to drive!
jferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 08:08   #10
marc
VOC Member

Another thing to consider is that we normally only hear the bad points that people have and we latch on to that. You tend not to hear the stories of cars (not just Volvo) that have been looked after, regular maintenance etc that go on for a life time.

Maybe it’s personal preference, but I’d take a fair amount of the negative comments with a pinch of salt as that is just one persons bad experience.

Chose a car well, look after it, and with any luck it’ll last for many thousands of miles.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM

Last edited by marc; Apr 26th, 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Typo
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marc For This Useful Post: