Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 vea d4

Views : 745

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2019, 11:23   #1
SFTP

Default S80 vea d4

Off to look at one of these tomorrow in Taggarts Glasgow.

It's done 15k miles on a 65 reg so is very new. Anything unusual to look out for - I am coming from a 2013 Lexus GS250 but want something a little more economical and with better seats.

Are these reliable - the Lexus has (to a point) been good but not perfect and a surprising amount of rust/corrosion on the underside of the car and some random suspension/trim faults - I have it all fixed up now but haven't a huge degree of confidence in the car so moving on. I am hoping this won't be like that.

I saw the VEA engine thread but the dealer's told me all the relevant recall work has been done and the car's got all the upgraded parts as per their Selekt program.

Last edited by SFTP; Aug 18th, 2019 at 11:32.
SFTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:07   #2
SFTP

I have the car and it is very nice.

Taggarts Volvo were tremendously efficient and helpful. The salesman Robert was brilliant and I had a huge degree of confidence in their operation.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 11:51   #3
piotrek

Please share your impressions how Volvo S80 D4 compares to your Lexus GS250 2013. Noise levels, seats, driving comfort? Thank you.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 09:37   #4
SFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
Please share your impressions how Volvo S80 D4 compares to your Lexus GS250 2013. Noise levels, seats, driving comfort? Thank you.
Noise levels - much the same - both are very quiet cars. I’d give the Lexus the nod over the Volvo for ride and handling/road holding and I suspect the Lexus made less suspension noise over bumps.

Seats. I’d say the Volvo has a better range of seating adjustment and range of steering wheel adjustment. My main critism with the Lexus wasn’t the seat but that it wouldn’t go low enough, the tilt to angle the squab angle didn’t go high enough and the wheel wouldn’t extend out enough. Both seats are incredible in their comfort but in the Volvo you can get closer to the wheel whilst maintaining comfort - and that’s very very important.

Engine. Lexus more refined at idle - the Volvo are cruising speed above 90 leptons. The Lexus makes a fantastic roar from its engine - but that roar turns to a slight drone at continental autoroute speeds. I drive all over Europe - this stuff matters.

Gearbox. Volvo hands down - the 8sp is incredible and at say 140km/hr you cannot hear the engine due to the long gearing. The shorter intermediate gears facilitate very good acceleration. Allthe gears in the Lexus were too long so despite a 26bhp advantage the Lexus isn’t any faster, and probably slower. I’ll miss the roar of the V6 though when driving in a sporty way. But that’s not what cars like this are about.

Cabin layout. Volvo is more logical - Lexus more interesting and probably better trimmed and assembled-but again very little in it. Volvo more roomy upfront - Lexus more roomy in the back. Lexus has awful swan neck mechanism - Volvo the canteelever boot hinges which don’t eat into the boot space.

Bodywork/paint finish. Volvo just better. There was quite a lot of rust on the underside of the Lexus and the paint chipped incredibly easily. It’s a car for a dry warm climate - not a Scottish one. Styling - I don’t think the Japanese ever really get this right with large cars. The Volvo looks better.

Reliability - nothing went wrong on the Lexus bar a “clock spring” in the steering column which meant it squeaked a lot. Fixed under warranty. Volvo I’ve had a week but I am concerned about the EGR issues associated with this engine.

Last edited by SFTP; Aug 27th, 2019 at 11:46. Reason: iPhone correct failure
The Following User Says Thank You to SFTP For This Useful Post: